Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Clev deserves more credit

Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:28 pm

I think Nathan aint getting the respect he deserves. I have been reading lots of posts on eastside boxing and i dont think i have seen one positive thread started. Yeah it was a close fight but everybody talking about Bellew. He also deserves respect but he lost. Well done Clev you got some f*****g bottle.

Re: Clev deserves more credit

Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:41 pm

Totally agree he could of gone in the ring boxed his way around bellew, but he stood toe-toe with a bigger hitter and took his best shots whilst giving just as much bk

Massive respect

Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:45 pm

Spot on both of you :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:49 pm

Nathan fought the wrong fight IMO he shouldve gone in there and Boxed Bellew and contolled the ring. He didnt and Bellew was unfortunate with the decision although i had him a round up he didnt do enough to win the title.
Clev is a good classy fighter and had a chance to show it but he didnt.
I would rank this alongside Calzaghe v Reid as it was a similar fight, And if Nathan can go on to accomplish himself like Joe then good on him. However with Hopkins Dawson Pascal even Froch, Bute, and Ward potentially to step up i cant see him successfuly denfending WBO belt IMO. BUT WOULD I LOVE TO BE PROVED WRONG.......HELL YEAH!!

Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:57 pm

beckett wrote:Totally agree he could of gone in the ring boxed his way around bellew, but he stood toe-toe with a bigger hitter and took his best shots whilst giving just as much bk

Massive respect

Clev isnt a puncher and never will be. Its pointless fighting if your not fighting to your strengths.
Yeah i credit him for showing balls but you need more than that to survive in this game..
Hatton had Balls but not the best Boxing brain...
We know Clev has got the Brains by his accademical achievments to date and his surname.

Had that been a top notch puncher last night Clev wouldve been in trouble, Bellew is a good DOMESTIC banger not a P_4_P puncher.

Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:12 pm

aj1927 wrote:
beckett wrote:Totally agree he could of gone in the ring boxed his way around bellew, but he stood toe-toe with a bigger hitter and took his best shots whilst giving just as much bk

Massive respect

Clev isnt a puncher and never will be. Its pointless fighting if your not fighting to your strengths.
Yeah i credit him for showing balls but you need more than that to survive in this game..
Hatton had Balls but not the best Boxing brain...
We know Clev has got the Brains by his accademical achievments to date and his surname.

Had that been a top notch puncher last night Clev wouldve been in trouble, Bellew is a good DOMESTIC banger not a P_4_P puncher.

Agree with parts he not a big hitter himself but normally he does use his boxing skills and in future fights I'm sure he will again, but last night was different there was a lot of bad blood during build up people saying clev wouldn't be able to handle his bombs etc and on this occasion he wanted to prove him wrong, in his next fight I'm sure his trainer will be telling him to go back to basics and box more intelligently. I thought he shown a lot guts

Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:28 pm

Cleverly deservers loads of credit. First of all to fight in is opponents home turf and a hostile one at that. Not many world champions would do that some don't even fight out of their country. Then he give Bellew the fight, that Bellew wanted and still came out on top. So credit to Cleverly for that. But I have more time for Bellew after the fight than i did before it, as I through he was just a chopsy b*stard.

Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:59 pm

Joe was the same never got the credit he deserved until late on. Well done Clev.

Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:57 pm

cwmbachbluebird wrote:Joe was the same never got the credit he deserved until late on. Well done Clev.

I know that he is still young but I don't think he is in the same league as Joe.
Calzaghe is a sure fire HOF'er, love to see Nathan follow in his footsteps...but I can't truly see him being any more effective than say Gary Lockett on the World Stage.

Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:15 pm

Do you think he'll fight Mayweather?

Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:47 pm

Welshpaul wrote:Do you think he'll fight Mayweather?

Who?

Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:24 pm

Fascinating thread. Wish that I knew more about boxing. But full credit to Clev.

Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:32 pm

Cleverly deserves a lot of credit for winning a hard fight. But its always a negative when you see a champion shaking his head poking his tounge out like he's done in past to show he's not hurt when in fact he is. I lose respect for fighters who do that and it was always first time I seen cleverly be dirty with them low blows. Bellew shocked a lot of people including ml, it was close but cleverly just did enough in the middle rounds but I still think bellew landed the more eye catching hurtful punches and if he landed more in middle rounds he would of nicked it. But credit to both for a great fight and I do not think bellew is just a domestic fighter he's going to be world challanger maybe up in cruiserweight though.

Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:46 am

Personaly think clev needs to ditch his father and move to a top trainer! His dad is not Enzo Cal, or anywhere near him when it comes to tactics etc... in order for Clev to improve and go on to fulfil his potential he needs to move on.

For going to Liverpool and fighting in a hungry challengers back yard and standing toe to toe with him shows he does have balls, but he should have faught his fight not a challengers, plus i didnt like the show boating in round 2/3 as thats not him. I feel that he let the fight get to him, if he wants to remain a world champ he needs to move on....

:ayatollah: