Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Jeff Whitleys time at Cardiff

Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:26 pm

Interesting article from the BBC website about his time at Cardiff, I always thought he could of done a good job for us but as the article explains some things got in the way of that!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15274757.stm

Re: Jeff Whitleys time at Cardiff

Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:27 pm

Just makes you wonder what sort of culture was going on at the club.

Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:27 pm

He was on £8,000 a week at Cardiff and when he went to Wrexham, City paid £7,000 a week of the 8. :shock:

Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:37 pm

When Dave Jones said that to me I thought 'I've never tried cocaine, I'd give it a blast' and when I did I thought 'wow, this is what I'm missing'.

Am i reading this right :?: :?:

Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:47 pm

I remember him and Phil Mulryne always on the piss, And we thought chops was bad :lol: :shock:

Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:38 pm

Another player who had no respect for Jones. This sums up why we failed under Jones in my opinion. Jones obviously knew Whitley had problems, but instead of trying to help him, he chose not to get involved and told Whitley to not come in, which isolated Whitley and made him turn to cocaine and get even worse. Easy to see why our players went out and did what they wanted, when they wanted under Jones, even Chopra said he came back to us because he likes playing for Jones as he lets him get away with murder. Jones had the opportunity to try and help Whitley but chose not to and as a result, Whitley went ahead and ruined the remainder of his footballing career.

Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:06 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:Another player who had no respect for Jones. This sums up why we failed under Jones in my opinion. Jones obviously knew Whitley had problems, but instead of trying to help him, he chose not to get involved and told Whitley to not come in, which isolated Whitley and made him turn to cocaine and get even worse. Easy to see why our players went out and did what they wanted, when they wanted under Jones, even Chopra said he came back to us because he likes playing for Jones as he lets him get away with murder. Jones had the opportunity to try and help Whitley but chose not to and as a result, Whitley went ahead and ruined the remainder of his footballing career.

Just one of many that DJ failed to help/support or back.

Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:12 pm

TopCat CCFC wrote:When Dave Jones said that to me I thought 'I've never tried cocaine, I'd give it a blast' and when I did I thought 'wow, this is what I'm missing'.

Dave Jones was too bloody miserable to be on cocaine

Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:55 am

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:Another player who had no respect for Jones. This sums up why we failed under Jones in my opinion. Jones obviously knew Whitley had problems, but instead of trying to help him, he chose not to get involved and told Whitley to not come in, which isolated Whitley and made him turn to cocaine and get even worse. Easy to see why our players went out and did what they wanted, when they wanted under Jones, even Chopra said he came back to us because he likes playing for Jones as he lets him get away with murder. Jones had the opportunity to try and help Whitley but chose not to and as a result, Whitley went ahead and ruined the remainder of his footballing career.

What a load of f*cking shite :? The blame DJ for everything brigade have sunk to a new low.Hey guys,if Malky fails to get us promotion this season start working out a way to blame DJ.Better stil,if Wales don't win the Rugby world cup we can blame DJ

Priceless :lol:

Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:27 am

didnt he go missing aswell......wrexham nor cardiff could find him or get hold of him

Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:40 pm

Midfield general wrote:I know for a FACT that during this period class A's were used alot by certain players. I am not going to name names but others know about this too.

You can't state a fact and then refuse to back it up with evidence mate. It makes you look a bit Accrington Stanley ;-)

Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:59 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

Just one of many that DJ failed to help/support or back.

if you use, you lose.....i would like to think malky would do the same has jones.....theres no place for drugs in the squad.

Whitely what a prick coming out with it now.

Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:47 pm

Sneggyblubird wrote:

What a load of f*cking shite :? The blame DJ for everything brigade have sunk to a new low.Hey guys,if Malky fails to get us promotion this season start working out a way to blame DJ.Better stil,if Wales don't win the Rugby world cup we can blame DJ

I think you'll find my point about Chopra is 100% fact, also the players going out on the lash last season showing complete disrespect to Jones is 100% fact. Also, Jones brought Whitley to our club, and the first time Whitley tried cocaine was with us playing under Dave Jones, that's 100% fact, it's not "a load of shite." :lol:

You call my post a load of shite yet you haven't posted ANY opinions to argue against what I have said. I suggest you try and argue against my points if you disagree, that's the purpose of this messageboard, to have a healthy debate, or is that too difficult for you?

Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:52 am

I'm not going to mention no names, but he isn't the first or last cardiff city and wales star to dabble with cocaine,

remember when whitley went awol at cardiff ?

I thought 'what a ledgend'
thats the type of thing I do on sunday mornings, but i only play sunday league :lol: :ayatollah:

Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:52 am

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
Sneggyblubird wrote:

I think you'll find my point about Chopra is 100% fact, also the players going out on the lash last season showing complete disrespect to Jones is 100% fact. Also, Jones brought Whitley to our club, and the first time Whitley tried cocaine was with us playing under Dave Jones, that's 100% fact, it's not "a load of shite." :lol:

You call my post a load of shite yet you haven't posted ANY opinions to argue against what I have said. I suggest you try and argue against my points if you disagree, that's the purpose of this messageboard, to have a healthy debate, or is that too difficult for you?

I've re-read the artical several times now trying to come to the same conclusion as you but I can't.And yes,I have to admit thats too difficult for me(to quote you).Please explain to me where it said in the artical that DJ is "to blame" for Whitleys drug use or where JW said it was all DJ's fault that his personal life was a mess.

My take on the artical:JW abused alcohol throughout his playing career but has now turned the corner and is sober.While he was at CCFC he took cocaine.DJ allegedlly(notice I didn't use the word fact because its the most misused an least understood word on this forum)told JW to stay away from the club and they (ccfc) would still pay him.

Now as a factualy correct person :roll: I'm sure you'll realise that in most walks of life if you let alcohol affect you to the point that it stops you doing your job properly you end up getting the sack.So when I read DJ saying stay away we'll still pay you I thought 'top man not kicking a man while he's down'.And the reason I say that and now I'm guessing too is that its sounds like ccfc had a good case for dissmisal against JW and that infact DJ was trying to help him.

If you and I were competing for a job at the sun newspaper you'd win hands down.I look forward to your next factual contribution.

Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:21 pm

game, set and f*cking match sneggy. spot on.

i dont know what is more priceless. dj to blame for whitleys drug problem or dj to blame for ruining top international warren feeneys career. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:26 pm

Midfield general wrote:I know for a FACT that during this period class A's were used alot by certain players. I am not going to name names but others know about this too.

big f*cking deal :roll:

whatever next. "i know for FACT amy winehouse was on crack and smack" :roll:

your attempts to come across all itk are so cringeworthy its embarrasing.

Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:34 pm

Blaming Jones for some one becoming an addict, what a camel you are

Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:11 pm

TopCat CCFC wrote:When Dave Jones said that to me I thought 'I've never tried cocaine, I'd give it a blast' and when I did I thought 'wow, this is what I'm missing'.

:lol: I didnt get that bit either.

Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:47 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:Just makes you wonder what sort of culture was going on at the club.

the same as any other football club or business for that matter.

young men with cash like a beer and a sniff. simple.

footballers have plenty of money and plenty if spare time. its a young lads dream.

i know of a massive drinking and drug culture at city when billy ayre was manager and the players were shit scared of him yet they still took the risks. this is not an exclusive to dave jones thing.

my mate, 1st year pro at the time, was considered a better prospect than collins but instead of using scott young as a role model started hanging out with lee jarman and dai thomas. they went on the pop every day sfter training. collins is now in the prem and my mate is battling alcoholism.

not in any way blaming them because we all make our own choices. i would have been exactly the same as them.

addictions happen. if its in you. its in you.

Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:54 pm

Midfield general wrote:Weren't the Whitley brothers (Jeff and Jim) Northern Irish..? Thinking of it weren't Jeff suspensed from the International football for doing something when Lawrie Sanchez was in charge there..?

As you stated 'Wales star' I must state the players Im thinking of are English.

M.G

I'm pretty sure the likes of chopra, thommo an a couple the younger lads were sniffing at some point, whether it was a one off or not I dont know, ledley and bellers at 1 point in their careers have dabbled,

that jls samuel tw*t was defintely upto no good, when he come down and played, lets remember chopra was close to an alcoholic and his performace was never effected to the point of samuel's last performance getting subbed off, he clearly was doing more than drink

Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:26 pm

Sneggyblubird wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
Sneggyblubird wrote:

I've re-read the artical several times now trying to come to the same conclusion as you but I can't.And yes,I have to admit thats too difficult for me(to quote you).Please explain to me where it said in the artical that DJ is "to blame" for Whitleys drug use or where JW said it was all DJ's fault that his personal life was a mess.

My take on the artical:JW abused alcohol throughout his playing career but has now turned the corner and is sober.While he was at CCFC he took cocaine.DJ allegedlly(notice I didn't use the word fact because its the most misused an least understood word on this forum)told JW to stay away from the club and they (ccfc) would still pay him.

Now as a factualy correct person :roll: I'm sure you'll realise that in most walks of life if you let alcohol affect you to the point that it stops you doing your job properly you end up getting the sack.So when I read DJ saying stay away we'll still pay you I thought 'top man not kicking a man while he's down'.And the reason I say that and now I'm guessing too is that its sounds like ccfc had a good case for dissmisal against JW and that infact DJ was trying to help him.

If you and I were competing for a job at the sun newspaper you'd win hands down.I look forward to your next factual contribution.

To your first bit in bold. If Whitley "abused alcohol throughout his playing career" as you say, then why did Jones sign him in the first place? Jones signed too many players of this type and couldn't control them, that's why we failed. Malky on the other hand had the chance to get someone on loan and declined as he didn't want to wreck what we have here, Malky won't sign anyone who can be a disruptive influence to the squad.

Your second bit in bold, are you serious? You think DJ was a "top man" telling Whitley to stay at home and isolate himself when he was going through problems? The worst thing you can do to someone when they are going through problems is leave them in isolation! Jones should have realised this. Whitley needed all the attention he could have had at that moment, the last thing he needed was to stay at home to suffer in isolation further.

The way I see it, Whitley was going through depression and he needed as many people as possible around him to give him a lift and help him. Jones must of had an idea of what he was going through, but he wanted Whitley to stay at home hoping he would sort himself out. Dave Jones could have done a lot more to help Jeff Whitley. If Whitley was given help and support by our club, he wouldn't have turned to cocaine.

Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:09 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
Sneggyblubird wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
Sneggyblubird wrote:

To your first bit in bold. If Whitley "abused alcohol throughout his playing career" as you say, then why did Jones sign him in the first place? Jones signed too many players of this type and couldn't control them, that's why we failed. Malky on the other hand had the chance to get someone on loan and declined as he didn't want to wreck what we have here, Malky won't sign anyone who can be a disruptive influence to the squad.

Your second bit in bold, are you serious? You think DJ was a "top man" telling Whitley to stay at home and isolate himself when he was going through problems? The worst thing you can do to someone when they are going through problems is leave them in isolation! Jones should have realised this. Whitley needed all the attention he could have had at that moment, the last thing he needed was to stay at home to suffer in isolation further.

The way I see it, Whitley was going through depression and he needed as many people as possible around him to give him a lift and help him. Jones must of had an idea of what he was going through, but he wanted Whitley to stay at home hoping he would sort himself out. Dave Jones could have done a lot more to help Jeff Whitley. If Whitley was given help and support by our club, he wouldn't have turned to cocaine.

f**k me buddy,you can see all that just by reading that article???????????????????f*cking makes me wonder if Elvis is still alive.

You've missed your calling mate-you should be a script writer for Mid Somer Murders

To be honest mate I suppose your post warrants a serious answer but I'll be buggered if I know where to start.I've just caught two fly's in my gob staring open mouthed at your post.I fuckin give up,you win,I'm going for a lie down now as I've got a headache.
DJ's fault-the b*stard I hate him.

Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:29 pm

Sneggyblubird wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
Sneggyblubird wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
Sneggyblubird wrote:

f**k me buddy,you can see all that just by reading that article???????????????????f*cking makes me wonder if Elvis is still alive.

You've missed your calling mate-you should be a script writer for Mid Somer Murders

To be honest mate I suppose your post warrants a serious answer but I'll be buggered if I know where to start.I've just caught two fly's in my gob staring open mouthed at your post.I fuckin give up,you win,I'm going for a lie down now as I've got a headache.
DJ's fault-the b*stard I hate him.

I feel sorry for you, not mature enough to have a debate with someone on here so you resort back to insults, pathetic. :lol:

By the way, the only reason I said some of the points I made are 100% fact was because they are 100% fact, it wasn't "a load of shite", or did I dream about Chopra doing that interview saying he can get away with murder under Jones and the players going out on the lash last season?

Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:51 pm

TBH I would imagine that any player signing for Dave Jones would need regular infusions of Class A drugs....

Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:32 pm

When your ready to debate what was actualy said in the article I'll gladly accomodate you.Up to now its all been baseless supposition on your part.I honestly thought i'd read a different article to you.I cannot,for the life of me understand how you came to those conclusions based on what was actualy writen...................If your right in the head,I don't wanna be

Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:00 pm

midsommers murders :lol:

f**k that should be working for MI5 :lol: