Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Legal Question

Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:29 pm

Looking for some serious replies please Ladies/Gents.

I'm wondering where I hypothetically would stand in the following scenario.

Say I was walking through a town with 2 pals at night, and a group of 7 or 8 15 year old chavs started to throwing insults at us. What would be our legal position if we hit them a few slaps? Or is it better to just not go down the physical route....

Re: Legal Question

Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:32 pm

Turn the other cheek mate or you could be done for striking a minor or GBH

Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:35 pm

tylerdurdenisabluebird wrote:Looking for some serious replies please Ladies/Gents.

Say I was walking through a town with 2 pals at night, and a group of 7 or 8 15 year old chavs started to throwing insults at us. What would be our legal position if we hit them a few slaps? Or is it better to just not go down the physical route....

The law says that you can use the minimum amount of force to protect yourself if you feel threatened.

You can use force (i.e. hit them) first if there was enough intimidation to make you feel threatened as long as it is proportional. What you can't do is give them a slap because you believe they need one in order to install discipline.

Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:18 pm

No wonder the law in this country stinks.......my 15 year old neice is rebelling at the moment on 2 occasions she has gone missing, and has been found by the police at this same guys flat, this guy is 32, and a known crack user the police have returned her both times to her parents, no further action was taken. She is having problems staying with her parents so through social services was agreed she could stay with me, and my 2 daughters. Last Saturday she went missing again for 36 hours I contacted the police, and she was found in a b&b with this guy, so in thier infinate wisdom they have bailed this guy, as my neice said she willingly went with him. Sunday evening I visited this guy in Pentrebane and had a conversation with him. I am now on a charge of gbh, my point is when the system fails you have no option to defend your own.

Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:25 pm

tylerdurdenisabluebird wrote:Looking for some serious replies please Ladies/Gents.

you would end up in a lot of trouble attacking them would not be considered as reasonable or proportionate force in defending yourself.
Best advice anyone can give you is if this happens just keep walking if you have a camera phone start recrording the group on your phone (though not obviously as this might aggrevate them more) so if they did attack you you would have the evidence of them throwing insults at you so if it did turn violent you have your evidence already.

Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:44 pm

15 years olds you'd be hitting a minor which would be an agravating factor to a higher culpabilty.
Ignore'em, they're kids.
All the assualt sentencing guidelines where increased ealier this year, I'll see if I can find the link.

Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:46 pm

KBEES wrote:15 years olds you'd be hitting a minor which would be an agravating factor to a higher culpabilty.
Ignore'em, they're kids.
All the assualt sentencing guidelines where increased ealier this year, I'll see if I can find the link.

Yep, thought I had raed it somewhere, 8th PDF down in the link.

http://sentencingcouncil.judiciary.gov. ... wnload.htm

Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:15 pm

Thank you for the replies Gents.

Unfortunately it seems from the gist of things that this country is in a mess with regards some of its laws.

Looks like I won't be putting manners on any little shits anymore :(

Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:42 am

splottbluebird48 wrote:No wonder the law in this country stinks.......my 15 year old neice is rebelling at the moment on 2 occasions she has gone missing, and has been found by the police at this same guys flat, this guy is 32, and a known crack user the police have returned her both times to her parents, no further action was taken. She is having problems staying with her parents so through social services was agreed she could stay with me, and my 2 daughters. Last Saturday she went missing again for 36 hours I contacted the police, and she was found in a b&b with this guy, so in thier infinate wisdom they have bailed this guy, as my neice said she willingly went with him. Sunday evening I visited this guy in Pentrebane and had a conversation with him. I am now on a charge of gbh, my point is when the system fails you have no option to defend your own.

That's a joke :evil: , good luck :ayatollah:

Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:05 am

splottbluebird48 wrote:No wonder the law in this country stinks.......my 15 year old neice is rebelling at the moment on 2 occasions she has gone missing, and has been found by the police at this same guys flat, this guy is 32, and a known crack user the police have returned her both times to her parents, no further action was taken. She is having problems staying with her parents so through social services was agreed she could stay with me, and my 2 daughters. Last Saturday she went missing again for 36 hours I contacted the police, and she was found in a b&b with this guy, so in thier infinate wisdom they have bailed this guy, as my neice said she willingly went with him. Sunday evening I visited this guy in Pentrebane and had a conversation with him. I am now on a charge of gbh, my point is when the system fails you have no option to defend your own.

I'm not having ago at you mate as I really do sympathise with your situation and I remember a similar thing happening with my neice a few years ago.

The problem is that from the age of 13 children are legally allowed to choose who they live with and it doesn't have to be a parent or relative.

Therefore your Neice could quite legally choose to go and live with this guy and there is nothing anyone can do about it although social services would monitor her as a Vulnerable minor.

However, if she was having sexual relations with this guy then obviously he would be guilty of knowingly having under aged sex. The trouble is the Police very rarely take action against adults who have sex with 15 year olds because in their view they would fill the courts as so many 15 years olds are sexually active.

So yes in your case the system and the law has let you down, but taking things into your own hands is a one way ticket to a court appearance because in the view of the establishment, doing their job by giving this guy a good kicking is a gross 'crime' something far worse than a 32 year old peado grooming and abusing a 15 year old girl.

Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:41 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:

I'm not having ago at you mate as I really do sympathise with your situation and I remember a similar thing happening with my neice a few years ago.

The problem is that from the age of 13 children are legally allowed to choose who they live with and it doesn't have to be a parent or relative.

Therefore your Neice could quite legally choose to go and live with this guy and there is nothing anyone can do about it although social services would monitor her as a Vulnerable minor.

However, if she was having sexual relations with this guy then obviously he would be guilty of knowingly having under aged sex. The trouble is the Police very rarely take action against adults who have sex with 15 year olds because in their view they would fill the courts as so many 15 years olds are sexually active.

So yes in your case the system and the law has let you down, but taking things into your own hands is a one way ticket to a court appearance because in the view of the establishment, doing their job by giving this guy a good kicking is a gross 'crime' something far worse than a 32 year old peado grooming and abusing a 15 year old girl.

I'm pretty sure you're wrong. Under 18s need parental consent for most things, I.E joining the army (just an example). I'm pretty sure they have to get parental consent OR go to social services to move out of the house.

Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:44 pm

I fully understand what you mean, however I felt as I had to do something as a Family we felt powerless, and so many things go through your mind. I know I shouldn't have taken the law into my own hands, and will accept the punishment I am given.

Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:53 pm

Bridgend_bluebird wrote:
I'm pretty sure you're wrong. Under 18s need parental consent for most things, I.E joining the army (just an example). I'm pretty sure they have to get parental consent OR go to social services to move out of the house.

I wish I was wrong BB but I know for sure that is the case, a child can choose where they want to live once they reach the age of 13.

My step-daughter left home when she was 14 and chose to live with her biological father (believe it or not they didn't even know each other at the time) even though my wife had a care and control order over her.

All the Police will do in such circumstances is visit the property and check if the child is safe and providing they say they are no further action will be taken, apart from informing Social Services.

If you are wondering why that is the case, it's because the social services would prefer a child to have a home rather be taken into care. Therefore any youngster who wants to live away from home can do so and the reason it doesn't have to be a relative is because they then have the option to stay with friends, which provides a lophole for peado's such as the case above with splottbluebird48

Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:55 pm

Bridgend_bluebird wrote:

I wish I was wrong BB but I know for sure that is the case, a child can choose where they want to live once they reach the age of 13.

My step-daughter left home when she was 14 and chose to live with her biological father (believe it or not they didn't even know each other at the time) even though my wife had a care and control order over her.

All the Police will do in such circumstances is visit the property and check if the child is safe and providing they say they are no further action will be taken, apart from informing Social Services.

If you are wondering why that is the case, it's because the social services would prefer a child to have a home rather be taken into care. Therefore any youngster who wants to live away from home can do so and the reason it doesn't have to be a relative is because they then have the option to stay with friends, which provides a lophole for peado's such as the case above with splottbluebird48

I thinks they shouldn;t be allowed until the age of 16 to be honest.