Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

The reason I dont like rugby

Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:02 pm

1. Area......... I am 22 years of age so as going up in the town of Pontypridd which let's face it in the 90 and early 00 Pontypridd rugby was pretty good and that is what most people where obsessed about. This I must hold my hand up as a child did like going to some games with my dad because it more of a football atmosphere, I think that Pontypridd was the only rugby team with that kind of support. However (here comes the reason) when I was in primary school the only sport that you could play was rugby. No football team at all and when there was something to do with football they would take the " rugby boys" even though I was playing competitive football week in week out for Pontypridd town and for south Wales development. It is also rammed down my villages neck that rugby is the welsh national sport when you see more amautre football sides in RCT than rugby ???
2. The Fans....... Sorry if I offend people hear but someone once said that the six nations is a wonderful event, but that just it is an even. The majority of people at a rugby match will go because they "love the sport" but ask them what team where they watching last week end and how many fans turned up to support a premier team ? I also love the fact that if there is a small amount of "football violence" media and police are all over it like a rash but it's fine to go get smashed and watch a rugby game and have a brawl in the street, we will ignore this because it's our national sport.

Just two reasons why I don't like rugby.

This is no way a pop at the people who play for their village and work hard in training for the Saturday. Those in my opinion are the real fans of rugby, they know how the blues, ospreys and draggons have done. They know who is the best player in the squad. I have the most respect for these people. but we slag the plastic Manchester united fans, Liverpool fans and chealsea for being plastic and not ever going to see "their team" and there are tens of thousand that turn up in Cardiff on an international rugby game.

That aside that is just my feelings on it and the way I see thing I do apprechiate that people will think differently and i wish the welsh rugby team all the best in the quest for the world cup.... Good luck, I'll stay with my ccfc and speedos barmy army.

Re: The reason I dont like rugby

Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:13 pm

You must really hate it to post it twice
:lol:

Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:17 pm

Canton stand baz wrote:You must really hate it to post it twice

Another thing I hate my Internet connection lol :ayatollah:

Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:20 pm

Bobbanker89 wrote:

Good post though! :lol:

Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:45 pm

Bobbanker89 wrote:

:lol: :lol:
I love rugby have played since the age of 6 til 20. but the one thing that pisses me off is, during those times i rarely misssed a wales game at home, as all tickets went to club, so the boys, the dads would go. great day with knowledgeable rugby people. Now it goes to coorperate twats at £100 a head. that where it has gone wrong, and that is why its now become an EVENT instead of a international match!

Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:22 am

having gone to many of the great games of the 70s and playing both rugby and football i personally think rugby internationals have been ruined by 1 thing----------------------------------women who got no f*cking knowledge of the game whatsoever, and how the f**k do they get tickets????

Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:26 am

bluebirdbaz wrote:having gone to many of the great games of the 70s and playing both rugby and football i personally think rugby internationals have been ruined by 1 thing----------------------------------women who got no f*cking knowledge of the game whatsoever, and how the f**k do they get tickets????

i can second that.

where i work we have a partnership with the wru and we get an allocation of tickets for all the rugby games in the millenium stadium... thats were all the girls jump in and moan if the blokes get the tickets all the time... so we now have to alternate games with the women..

also our sport department is a 90% women and they get a bigger allocation of tickets and then take their friends, hence more women with tickets...

to be honest we are probably not the only company like this.... :angry5: annoys me.....

Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:35 pm

bluebirdbaz wrote:having gone to many of the great games of the 70s and playing both rugby and football i personally think rugby internationals have been ruined by 1 thing----------------------------------women who got no f*cking knowledge of the game whatsoever, and how the f**k do they get tickets????

Jesus dont let big Karen see this Baz she'll tear you to shit. She had a season ticket at Newport RFC for about 15 years before it turned regional :shock:
She gave it up then as she realised the ironing wasnt going to do itself! :mrgreen:

Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:38 pm

Personally, I have always got on very well with real rugby fans, ie people who play it, or go to games every week, or even just watch it on the box. No interest in the game myself, just as a few of my good mates who like rugby have no interest in football. As long as we don't try to 'convert' each other, there is no problem. Had a couple of pints with a good mate recently. Asked him if he had seen any rugby matches recently, and told him I had been up to Blackpool with the City the Saturday before. Thats as far as it goes, the conversation moved onto other things.

What is annoying is the 'once a year' type, who laughs at the Wales football team (eg, when we lost 5-1 home to Slavakia a few years ago), but always manage to get tickets for Wales rugby games, often ahead of real rugby fans. The worst bit are the lectures on Welshness that we get. The Welsh media don't help, either.

By all means, follow your sport, be it rugby, cricket, boxing, horse racing, ice hockey, or whatever. Just leave us alone to follow ours, football.

Best I leave it there ! :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:55 pm

It's a bit sad and pathetic that you dislike a sport because of the fans.

Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:46 pm

No Karl, it's not. You can't really seperate a sport from it's fans. What would it be like down the City if we had all Henman Hill types there. Or if the hard core City away fans made up the crowd at the Horse of the Year Show.

Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:06 pm

When being taught rugby at school, the games master creamed himself with delight if you kicked in to touch and gained some yardage.
Couldn't understand it, always thought it was negative and that put me off the game.

Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:27 pm

All these hate threads towards rugby is quite pathetic!! It clearly shows most of the haters are bitter and envious towards the sport because it is now in the limelight!! I for one will always put football first but being a proud Welshman I like to see Wales do well in all sports!! There's a lot of shit going on in this country at the moment so why slate those so called plastic rugby fans and loud women!! They are taking in the atmosphere and trying to enjoy something at the moment that makes you feel proud to be welsh!! I will be watching Wales Saturday morning and really hope we smash the French!! Rant over deep breathe lol :ayatollah:

Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:42 pm

brewer918 wrote:All these hate threads towards rugby is quite pathetic!! It clearly shows most of the haters are bitter and envious towards the sport because it is now in the limelight!! I for one will always put football first but being a proud Welshman I like to see Wales do well in all sports!! There's a lot of shit going on in this country at the moment so why slate those so called plastic rugby fans and loud women!! They are taking in the atmosphere and trying to enjoy something at the moment that makes you feel proud to be welsh!! I will be watching Wales Saturday morning and really hope we smash the French!! Rant over deep breathe lol :ayatollah:

I have not once in anything I have said that I "hate" rugby. I have mearly stated that I don't like it because of two I feel acceptable reasons. It is in the limelight at the moment and credit were it is due well done. Bitter is totally wrong because I couldn't give a jacks peggs where Wales rugby go or end up I don't like the sport and don't prentend to because it is my choice nothing to do with jealously or envy. I slate plastic rugby fans because quite onastly it winds me up the wrong way when I know for example one person who would love to see Wales rugby on the big six nations game and supports their local village week in week and has extreme knowledge of the game but won't have a slight chance of getting a ticket because Mr WRU would like his friends cousins mrs to have a ticket and knows less about what is going on on that rugby pitch than me. Take in the atmosphere and go and support the welsh rugby team if that is what u wish but also put something back in to the game by doing so thing like watching the blues ospreys or other methodical named team. I hope that Wales do win on Saturday because I am welsh and I like to see Wales succeed in every sport and also I don't want to be fighting with some roider because he is angry that Wales lost :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:51 pm

It sounds to me like your tarnishing all the fans who go to the big internationals & six nations with the same brush!! I dont think it's hard to get tickets for the 6 nations & other internationals, I'm not really into going to watch the big rugby games but my wife and her side of the family are & I have been to a few games with them and they have never had a problem getting tickets and no they don't get them from the clicky local rugby clubs!! but I agree it is quite funny seeing the roiders out after the games!!

Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:52 pm

brewer918 - congratulations, you're a 'proud Welshman'. What does that make the rest of us, especially if we just follow football?

Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:59 pm

llangainbluebird wrote:brewer918 - congratulations, you're a 'proud Welshman'. What does that make the rest of us, especially if we just follow football?

Answer me this - if you listen to the news or radio or any sports programme and they mention Wales have done well in something i.e football, rugby, golf, ice hockey, or even something other than sport!! Your telling me you don't feel proud ?

Are you saying the only thing that makes you proud is football ??

Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:13 pm

Actually, yes. Supporting the Wales football team is as far as my Welshness goes. I'm from Carmarthenshire, and my first language is Welsh. Our family moved to Cardiff in 1976. But I have got more in common with an English football fan, or a football fan from any other country, than with a Welsh fan of any other sport. Am I allowed just to follow one sport? CCFC play in the English league. I go away fairly regularly, and we get a fair bit of the verbals about being Welsh. But we can take it, just football banter. Quite frankly, I could not care less about any other aspect of Welsh life. Firing squad for me, presumably :lol: Although I did vote 'YES' in the referendum. :ayatollah:

Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:21 pm

llangainbluebird wrote:Actually, yes. Supporting the Wales football team is as far as my Welshness goes. I'm from Carmarthenshire, and my first language is Welsh. Our family moved to Cardiff in 1976. But I have got more in common with an English football fan, or a football fan from any other country, than with a Welsh fan of any other sport. Am I allowed just to follow one sport? CCFC play in the English league. I go away fairly regularly, and we get a fair bit of the verbals about being Welsh. But we can take it, just football banter. Quite frankly, I could not care less about any other aspect of Welsh life. Firing squad for me, presumably :lol: Although I did vote 'YES' in the referendum. :ayatollah:

Football and Cardiff city is also my number one passion!! But your telling me your not proud of being welsh & only proud of being a city fan!! So your not proud that your a welsh speaker or proud of your heritage ???????

Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:48 pm

Ospreys - 8,000
Scarlets - 7,500
Blues - 11,000
Dragons - 6,000

Total = 32,500 per week on average go to see the top 4 rugby club teams in Wales. Compared to the 45,000 per week that see Swansea and Cardiff it's not that bad.

You also have to take into account that club rugby is not where the main focus of the game lies. International rugby is where the real focus is. Hence why you'll be hard pressed to find a 6 Nations game that hasn't sold out.
In football it's completely different. You'd just have to check the attendances of the Welsh football team over the last few years to see that. Lately even Cardiff have been getting better crowds than Wales.

It's unfair to compare the two in this way to be honest. The culture and nature of the game is very different. International rugby is bigger than club rugby, while club football is bigger than international football. You can argue that not enough rugby fans go to see it week in week out and that the majority aren't truly passionate about the sport but you could say the same about football when Wales play. It's pathetic some of the numbers we've been getting.

The majority of people on here are incredibly hypocritical when it comes to rugby anyway. They'll happily stereotype all rugby fans out there but throw a hissy fit as soon as they themselves are judged for being a football fan.

Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:54 pm

MyNameIsAled wrote:Ospreys - 8,000
Scarlets - 7,500
Blues - 11,000
Dragons - 6,000

Total = 32,500 per week on average go to see the top 4 rugby club teams in Wales. Compared to the 45,000 per week that see Swansea and Cardiff it's not that bad.

You also have to take into account that club rugby is not where the main focus of the game lies. International rugby is where the real focus is. Hence why you'll be hard pressed to find a 6 Nations game that hasn't sold out.
In football it's completely different. You'd just have to check the attendances of the Welsh football team over the last few years to see that. Lately even Cardiff have been getting better crowds than Wales.

It's unfair to compare the two in this way to be honest. The culture and nature of the game is very different. International rugby is bigger than club rugby, while club football is bigger than international football. You can argue that not enough rugby fans go to see it week in week out and that the majority aren't truly passionate about the sport but you could say the same about football when Wales play. It's pathetic some of the numbers we've been getting.

The majority of people on here are incredibly hypocritical when it comes to rugby anyway. They'll happily stereotype all rugby fans out there but throw a hissy fit as soon as they themselves are judged for being a football fan.

never look at the attendances for regional rugby most people will watch it on the tv after watching their local rugby team
dont forget the principality premiership which holds the old top flight rugby teams such as
Neath
Pontypridd
Bridgend
Clubs with stacks of history and strong supporter bases

Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:04 pm

JONNY012697 wrote:
Scarlets - 7,500
Blues - 11,000
Dragons - 6,000

never look at the attendances for regional rugby most people will watch it on the tv after watching their local rugby team
dont forget the principality premiership which holds the old top flight rugby teams such as
Neath
Pontypridd
Bridgend

ponty still has a decent following
as for the rest a few hundred at best
regional egg has killed the clubs

Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:14 pm

MAESTEG BLUE wrote:
JONNY012697 wrote:
Scarlets - 7,500
Blues - 11,000
Dragons - 6,000

Neath
Pontypridd
Bridgend

ponty still has a decent following
as for the rest a few hundred at best
regional egg has killed the clubs

but your not going to have 10s of thousands of fans turning up to these games as they represent towns with not huge populations
whereas at the football on a professional level wales only follows 3 welsh teams which command huge catchment areas
and i agree with you regional rugby has killed club rugby.

Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:23 pm

PONTYPRIDD were awesome back then :ayatollah:

Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:31 pm

Bobbanker89 wrote:
brewer918 wrote:All these hate threads towards rugby is quite pathetic!! It clearly shows most of the haters are bitter and envious towards the sport because it is now in the limelight!! I for one will always put football first but being a proud Welshman I like to see Wales do well in all sports!! There's a lot of shit going on in this country at the moment so why slate those so called plastic rugby fans and loud women!! They are taking in the atmosphere and trying to enjoy something at the moment that makes you feel proud to be welsh!! I will be watching Wales Saturday morning and really hope we smash the French!! Rant over deep breathe lol :ayatollah:

I have not once in anything I have said that I "hate" rugby. I have mearly stated that I don't like it because of two I feel acceptable reasons. It is in the limelight at the moment and credit were it is due well done. Bitter is totally wrong because I couldn't give a jacks peggs where Wales rugby go or end up I don't like the sport and don't prentend to because it is my choice nothing to do with jealously or envy. I slate plastic rugby fans because quite onastly it winds me up the wrong way when I know for example one person who would love to see Wales rugby on the big six nations game and supports their local village week in week and has extreme knowledge of the game but won't have a slight chance of getting a ticket because Mr WRU would like his friends cousins mrs to have a ticket and knows less about what is going on on that rugby pitch than me. Take in the atmosphere and go and support the welsh rugby team if that is what u wish but also put something back in to the game by doing so thing like watching the blues ospreys or other methodical named team. I hope that Wales do win on Saturday because I am welsh and I like to see Wales succeed in every sport and also I don't want to be fighting with some roider because he is angry that Wales lost :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

agree here. it pisses me off when i see slappers on telly at a big wales game who don't even know what a knock-on is. Then there are some people who have rugby as their number 1 sport or fans with a lot of rugby knowledge who lose tickets to those slappers. I used to see rugby as a sport, now its more of a social event :roll: