Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Ben Turner

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:08 pm

now Ben turner is finally fit should he just slot in cb and if he does who gets dropped? i feel hudson and gerrard have both been fairly solid but if someone had to be dropped i would drop gerrard personally because im not confident in gerrard in the sense that he makes a bit to mistake prone where is may be out of position or distribution is suspect at times.

i feel that this season with the squad we currently have we should be able to close games out especially away from home and giving given the fact we currently dont have enough goals in this team as apposed to last year where if the opposition score one we score two.

i feel mackey has the mentality in the never say die attitude but if we can cut out the mistakes and sloppy goals who knows what we can achieve this season. :ayatollah:

Re: Ben Turner

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:39 pm

Feeling Blue wrote:now Ben turner is finally fit should he just slot in cb and if he does who gets dropped? i feel hudson and gerrard have both been fairly solid but if someone had to be dropped i would drop gerrard personally because im not confident in gerrard in the sense that he makes a bit to mistake prone where is may be out of position or distribution is suspect at times.

i feel that this season with the squad we currently have we should be able to close games out especially away from home and giving given the fact we currently dont have enough goals in this team as apposed to last year where if the opposition score one we score two.

i feel mackey has the mentality in the never say die attitude but if we can cut out the mistakes and sloppy goals who knows what we can achieve this season. :ayatollah:

My personal opinion is... give Darcy Blake a go with him.

Turner is a big, commanding Centre-Back. We dont really need two.

Say what you like about Darcys distribution etc, but his tackling, timing
and reading of the game are second to none in our defence. You lose a
little bit in the air, but on the ground hes better than Hudson or Gerrard

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:47 pm

taffyapple wrote:
Feeling Blue wrote:now Ben turner is finally fit should he just slot in cb and if he does who gets dropped? i feel hudson and gerrard have both been fairly solid but if someone had to be dropped i would drop gerrard personally because im not confident in gerrard in the sense that he makes a bit to mistake prone where is may be out of position or distribution is suspect at times.

My personal opinion is... give Darcy Blake a go with him.

Turner is a big, commanding Centre-Back. We dont really need two.

Say what you like about Darcys distribution etc, but his tackling, timing
and reading of the game are second to none in our defence. You lose a
little bit in the air, but on the ground hes better than Hudson or Gerrard

i dont rate darcy anywhere near where people are putting him right now, and also no way will both gerrard and hudson be dropped at once.

imo turner will stay on the bench until an injury or carling cup and he can win his spot, or a massive error from huds or gerrard.

the only other way is if gerrard is just drop, but it wont be hudson or both

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:56 pm

perhaps blake and turner should get a run out against burnley in the cup to see if they would work well together or not

Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:31 pm

Yeah Turner is head and a Cock above Hudson and Gerrard :lol: :lol:

Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:35 pm

I'd go gerrard & turner

Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:04 pm

Definitely Turner and Blake for me. Hudson and Gerrard are both not good enough for us to get promoted in my opinion. Blake has shown against top international sides he is good enough and has the pace our defence is lacking. Blake just needs a run of games and then he can get his head down and hopefully, consistantly put in the form he showed for Wales. In my opinion, Blake has the potential to reach a level of performace that Hudson and Gerrard can only dream of if played regularly, playing him regularly will give him the confidence and belief to get even better.

Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:28 pm

i really dont get this love for darcy.

he just isnt a footballer. strong quick passionate yes, but his head and feet are just not made for football, he hasnt the brain or the natural ability.

Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:43 pm

Darcy should be right back due to his speed. There are some fast wingers about this season.

I've heard from the Coventry lot here at work that Turner is hot and cold. A bit like Gerrard then. So although I am not 100% coonfident about this I would keep Hudson and see how he goes with Turner.

Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:48 pm

jezzy666 wrote:i really dont get this love for darcy.

he just isnt a footballer. strong quick passionate yes, but his head and feet are just not made for football, he hasnt the brain or the natural ability.

I disagree. He reads the game very well at the back

Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:53 pm

taffyapple wrote:

i was more on about on the ball, off the ball he does ok

Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:54 pm

Darcy is a squad player at best in my eyes

Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:55 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:Yeah Turner is head and a Cock above Hudson and Gerrard :lol: :lol:

Thought Tayor was the head cock in the dressing room.....................???

Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:06 pm

turner will come on for gerrard. darcy wont come in for hudson. thank f**k. his distribution is shocking for a pro footballer.

Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:23 pm

If u r choosing out of Gerrard and Hudson to be dropped then it has to be Hudson. The bloke is a walking disaster waiting to happen. Mind you I do rate Keinan.....tho apart from the absolute stinker against Reading I thought he was fairly solid. 2 of Darcy, Keinan and Turner would be my choice. Hudson 5th choice out of 5 imo.

Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:30 pm

The best partnership we have had in recent season with this squad was Gerrard & Blake. Yes players will make mistakes even the best players at the back mistakes and let goals but for me Hudson is better than he has been but Gerrard Blake and now Turner will be the future as they are all learning and young

Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:31 pm

MM appointed Hudson as captain, he will not be dropped!!

Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:34 pm

CraigCCFC wrote:MM appointed Hudson as captain, he will not be dropped!!

Exactly :ayatollah: :D

Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:35 pm

valleyrambill wrote:The best partnership we have had in recent season with this squad was Gerrard & Blake. Yes players will make mistakes even the best players at the back mistakes and let goals but for me Hudson is better than he has been but Gerrard Blake and now Turner will be the future as they are all learning and young

Hudson & Keinan were a better partnership IMO.

Obviously everyone goes overboard when reminiscing about the Gerrard & Blake partnership because they've got a grudge against Hudson and want him out of the team :roll:

Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:38 pm

Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:
valleyrambill wrote:The best partnership we have had in recent season with this squad was Gerrard & Blake. Yes players will make mistakes even the best players at the back mistakes and let goals but for me Hudson is better than he has been but Gerrard Blake and now Turner will be the future as they are all learning and young

Obviously everyone goes overboard when reminiscing about the Gerrard & Blake partnership because they've got a grudge against Hudson and want him out of the team :roll:

FACT

Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:02 pm

Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:

I don't think anyone has a grudge against Hudson. Everyone is just giving their opinions on who they think our better centre backs are and Hudson isn't the majorities number 1 choice. If I had a choice between Hudson and Gerrard I would probably go for Hudson, but I think those pair are playing at their peak right now and still aren't good enough to get us promoted. I think Darcy is just as good as them both right now and Darcy can get better and better and become a much better centre back than Hudson and Gerrard. That's not me holding a grudge against Hudson, that's me stating my opinion.

Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:10 pm

IMO Hudson is the best CH we have! What the hell is wrong with you people??? he had a stormer last season up until his injury, everyone was praising him and how much hes improved and now you all want him out! ludicrous! Have you seen some of the shockingly bad center halves other teams in this division are using..... He might not be premeirship material - but he certainly does his job in this division - I for one dont expect him to make every decision 100% accurately EVERY time.....

Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:13 pm

Merlin wrote:IMO Hudson is the best CH we have! What the hell is wrong with you people??? he had a stormer last season up until his injury, everyone was praising him and how much hes improved and now you all want him out! ludicrous! Have you seen some of the shockingly bad center halves other teams in this division are using..... He might not be premeirship material - but he certainly does his job in this division - I for one dont expect him to make every decision 100% accurately EVERY time.....

Yes he did but IMO he has slipped into Hudson of old recently Craig

Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:14 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:
Merlin wrote:IMO Hudson is the best CH we have! What the hell is wrong with you people??? he had a stormer last season up until his injury, everyone was praising him and how much hes improved and now you all want him out! ludicrous! Have you seen some of the shockingly bad center halves other teams in this division are using..... He might not be premeirship material - but he certainly does his job in this division - I for one dont expect him to make every decision 100% accurately EVERY time.....

Are you one of these "I expect premiership players in a skint championship team" kind of guy? :lol:

Have you seen the sticky that reads: "Do some of us fans expect too much?" ;)

Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:16 pm

taffyapple wrote:

He has improved in recent times but I must say that I don't 'warm' to him as a player either. I can't fully explain it but I just feel 'let down' every time he mis-cues a pass and puts his own team under pressure unecessarily

Just my opinion :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:16 pm

Merlin wrote:
Nuclearblue wrote:

Are you one of these "I expect premiership players in a skint championship team" kind of guy? :lol:

Have you seen the sticky that reads: "Do some of us fans expect too much?" ;)

chief he is so slow he made Milly yesterday seem like Usain Bolt :lol: :lol:

Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:19 pm

What about the like of Hansen and those of the 80's - excellent center halves with hardly any pace..... you dont need to be roadrunner to be a good CH. :ayatollah:

Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:30 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:

'Hudson of old'

Whats that.
IMO its a myth.

Gerrard has done OK, but made more mistakes than Hudson, just like he did in his first season, but for some reason some blamed Hudson - possibly having difficulty making out the difference between the no. 5 and 6 on the shirts and automatically thinking it was the more awkward looking one (or the one without the name of a football legend) who had fecked up.

Hudson was made a scapegoat for anything that went wrong and plenty fell for it.

Last year on his own merit he had an excellent season, missing out only to Super Kev in the player of the year vote.

Personally I don;t think either should be dropped, but I will also stick my neck out and say Turner if he stays fit will eventually get in and will prove to be better than either.

Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:31 pm

Hudson did have a stormer by his standards for the majority of last season until his injury, but the only reason he got so much praise was because he was so poor the previous season and it was a drastic turnaround, which I give him huge credit for, he showed great character to turn his form around last season.

The only problem is, that was Hudson at the top of his game and Hudson at his best is still a slightly above average Championship defender in my opinion and we still leaked goals last season with Hudson playing at the top of his game, although I admit that is largely down to last seasons team as a whole rather than Hudson and the rest of the defence itself, the defence had very little protection last season.

This season Hudson has been decent overall, a few good games, a few not so good games, the same can be said for Gerrard's form and I think we need better than these two to get out of this division.

Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:48 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:Hudson did have a stormer by his standards for the majority of last season until his injury, but the only reason he got so much praise was because he was so poor the previous season and it was a drastic turnaround, which I give him huge credit for, he showed great character to turn his form around last season.

The only problem is, that was Hudson at the top of his game and Hudson at his best is still a slightly above average Championship defender in my opinion and we still leaked goals last season with Hudson playing at the top of his game, although I admit that is largely down to last seasons team as a whole rather than Hudson and the rest of the defence itself, the defence had very little protection last season.

This season Hudson has been decent overall, a few good games, a few not so good games, the same can be said for Gerrard's form and I think we need better than these two to get out of this division.

I'd agree with one bit of that.

Husdon IS a slightly better than average Championship cnetral defender.
Which is probably a bit more than the others we HAD.

Hovever, and I know you can't judge from 1 game, but when I saw Turner against us at the Ricoh last season I thought he was an OUTSTANDING central defender and bearing in mind the numbers we already have in that position I'd bet that Malky thinks the same. it wouldn't have made sense for him to bring in another average/slightly better than average centre back when he's already got 4.

Another thing to bear in mind is judging by some of his comments it doesn't seem that Gerrard is settled here, and i wouldn't be suprised to see him move on in the next 9 months. I'm pretty sure he's out of contract in May and will most likely be heading back up North nearer his family. I doubt we'll get much of a fee, which is a shame as he does have potential if he can keep his concentration up.