Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: i had to pay 5p for a bag to take my takeaway home

Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:35 pm

Uccello Azzurro wrote:
krab wrote:sorry but what a f@cking pathetic rule,i hope the welsh reject this pointless excercise in saving the planet,and quickly :( :( :ayatollah:

We are laggards. Some countries have already moved to ban them. The reality is that the 5p price is way too low and is certainly not high enough to significantly change behaviours, even if it is enough to set of the whingers.

The price is 33 cents (28 pence) in Ireland I believe and this has led to a dramatic change in the consumption of plastic bags - a 90% reduction and millions raised for other initiatives.

I have had some involvement with the recycling industry in the UK and internationally and plastic bags are particularly notable for the variety of environmental and processing problems they cause. Visit a waste separation plant and witness the problems they cause - e.g. jamming and shutting down machinery. Environmentally, there are many other issues including:

http://www.unep.org/documents.multiling ... =6214&l=en

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Paci ... bage_Patch

why did they just not tell companies that they have to produce a bio-degradable bag,and do you not get a big fat juicy green plastic bag off your council to put your recyclables in,how double standards is that :ayatollah:

Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:29 pm

I think they should charge £1 a bag.........lazy sods who can't be bothered will soon remember to take their own then. WELL DONE TO OUR WELSH GOVERNMENT!! :ayatollah: :D :ayatollah: :D :old:

Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:59 pm

Blazing Saddles wrote:I think they should charge £1 a bag.........lazy sods who can't be bothered will soon remember to take their own then. WELL DONE TO OUR WELSH GOVERNMENT!! :ayatollah: :D :ayatollah: :D :old:

Why should they charge for the Bags ? Do you think that our planet will emplode if we keep using them ?. But yet again the looney Leftie government of Wales goes well over the top. If i go to a takeaway i will have to pay more as you can't use your own :o Hardly anyone believes in this Global warming shit any more Chuff

Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:09 am

Nuclearblue wrote:
Blazing Saddles wrote:I think they should charge £1 a bag.........lazy sods who can't be bothered will soon remember to take their own then. WELL DONE TO OUR WELSH GOVERNMENT!! :ayatollah: :D :ayatollah: :D :old:

Why should they charge for the Bags ? Do you think that our planet will emplode if we keep using them ?. But yet again the looney Leftie government of Wales goes well over the top. If i go to a takeaway i will have to pay more as you can't use your own :o Hardly anyone believes in this Global warming shit any more Chuff

The key issues with plastic bags are pollution and the costs of their disposal/processing, not global warming. It is estimated that the world is consuming c. 500 billion plastic bags per annum with less than 3% recycled. The impact of this is wide-ranging in terms of the environment (e.g. the mess they create and threat to marine life) and the costs of waste processing (which we all pay!!).

The nuclear lobby has a done a good job of nobbling the Government. When the real costs of decommissioning and waste disposal are properly calculated, nuclear power looks very poor value for money. Our island incorporates an abundance of reliable and safe sources of hydro and marine (notably tidal and wave) power - this should now be the main focus for development of new energy supply whether one believes in global warming or not. A Severn Barrage alone could generate c.5% to 6% of the UK's electricity needs. Our nation's experience in offshore oil & gas exploration gives the UK a particular competitive advantage in this area and we should be looking to exploit this as a matter of priority.

Wake up Britain!

Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:20 pm

Uccello Azzurro wrote:
Nuclearblue wrote:

The key issues with plastic bags are pollution and the costs of their disposal/processing, not global warming. It is estimated that the world is consuming c. 500 billion plastic bags per annum with less than 3% recycled. The impact of this is wide-ranging in terms of the environment (e.g. the mess they create and threat to marine life) and the costs of waste processing (which we all pay!!).

The nuclear lobby has a done a good job of nobbling the Government. When the real costs of decommissioning and waste disposal are properly calculated, nuclear power looks very poor value for money. Our island incorporates an abundance of reliable and safe sources of hydro and marine (notably tidal and wave) power - this should now be the main focus for development of new energy supply whether one believes in global warming or not. A Severn Barrage alone could generate c.5% to 6% of the UK's electricity needs. Our nation's experience in offshore oil & gas exploration gives the UK a particular competitive advantage in this area and we should be looking to exploit this as a matter of priority.

Wake up Britain!

Chief yes decommissioning the first wave of Reactors is very expensive i will not deny this. But this was always going to be the case as it was the unknown. But the new type of Reactors that are now being built will be much much easier and cheaper to decommission. One they are a lot smaller but we needed to get to that stage first, And Nuclear is very clean source of energy. But don't tell me please that the Nuclear industry is lying or nobbling the Government as that is untrue.And the fact The money for decommissioning was put away from the beginning, but the governments spent the friggin lot :o

Hydro like the one in North Wales has been going for an awful long time but it does not generate much Electricity, and the Severn Barrage that is new technology yes it should be explored but even the Canadians have said it is not what it is cracked up to be, and they are the Kings of Hydro. Also the Environmental issues would be devastating in the area. The ecosystem would change for ever and also the Archaeological sites from which the mud flaps hold would also be lost forever. The cost of the barrage and nobody knows how efficient they would be would make it a risk.

We do need Nuclear, and clean Coal and Gas, Renew ables need to be researched as they just don't work to the standards we are being told, in fact we are subsidising them to the tune of around £250 per house hold a year on our Electricity bills as they produce next to no Electricity.

Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:51 pm

the barrage would be an eviromental disaster,and the use of one of the most enviromentaly unfriendly materials known(concrete)would be huge :ayatollah:

Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:06 pm

krab wrote:the barrage would be an eviromental disaster,and the use of one of the most enviromentaly unfriendly materials known(concrete)would be huge :ayatollah:

To many People are blinkered Chief to the state our power stations and Electricity needs are. We have Governments signing up to charters saying what percentage we must have regarding renew ables by 2020 without realising they just don't work.And because of there arrogance and stupidity we all have to pay in the pockets. Why do you think there are now offers for free Solar Panels as they are desperate to get that percentage up.

Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:14 pm

krab wrote:the barrage would be an eviromental disaster,and the use of one of the most enviromentaly unfriendly materials known(concrete)would be huge :ayatollah:

The barrage is just one option to exploit the second highest tidal range in the world. Friends of the Earth who are against a barrage are in favour of alternative technologies and are recommending that the Government look at stand-alone tidal generators, tidal fences and tidal lagoons.

Concrete is certainly a better option than uranium and the stockpiling radioactive waste.

Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:22 pm

Uccello Azzurro wrote:

The barrage is just one option to exploit the second highest tidal range in the world. Friends of the Earth who are against a barrage are in favour of alternative technologies and are recommending that the Government look at stand-alone tidal generators, tidal fences and tidal lagoons.

Concrete is certainly a better option than uranium and the stockpiling radioactive waste.

If Friends of the Earth have suggested it then it is bound to be a pile of Shit . Concrete will not produce Electricity, Uraniam will.

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:17 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:
Uccello Azzurro wrote:

If Friends of the Earth have suggested it then it is bound to be a pile of Shit . Concrete will not produce Electricity, Uraniam will.

Norway are the kings of hydro - c.98% of their electricity comes from it. Canada does admirably well at over 60%. The largest tidal power station is in France. For a soggy island, it is incredible that we generate just over 1% of our electricity from hyrdo.

The UK currently generates just c.3% of its electricity from renewables and, among EU countries, we stand out as a laggard for the lack of strategy and poor progress we are making in expanding renewables generation.

Even poor Portugal is notable for the progress it is making (and the global companies it has created) in renewable energy - 52% of the country's electricity generation came from renewables in 2010 (an increase of 28% in 5 years).

Germany, the undoubted economic and industrial leader in Europe has now decided against nuclear power. The share of electricity produced from renewable energy in Germany has increased from 3.1% of the national total in 1990 to about 20% today (more than nuclear power output in the UK). In 2010, investments totalling $40 billion were made in Germany’s renewable energies sector. Official figures indicate that nigh on 400,000 Germans are now employed in the renewable energy sector, especially in small and medium sized companies, rising at an annual rate of c.8% to 10% per annum. Germany currently relies on nuclear for 23% of its electricity needs (c.19% in the UK) and believes that renewable sources can take up most of this slack by the time it is eliminated in 2022. With a population of 82 million (UK: 62 million) and a solid position in industrial productivity (producing nearly 2x UK industrial output), Germany needs to be respected when it comes to decisions on industrial strategy and infrastructure investment. In these areas, sadly the UK lacks both ambition and vision.

Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:05 pm

Uccello Azzurro wrote:
Nuclearblue wrote:
Uccello Azzurro wrote:

Norway are the kings of hydro - c.98% of their electricity comes from it. Canada does admirably well at over 60%. The largest tidal power station is in France. For a soggy island, it is incredible that we generate just over 1% of our electricity from hyrdo.

The UK currently generates just c.3% of its electricity from renewables and, among EU countries, we stand out as a laggard for the lack of strategy and poor progress we are making in expanding renewables generation.

Even poor Portugal is notable for the progress it is making (and the global companies it has created) in renewable energy - 52% of the country's electricity generation came from renewables in 2010 (an increase of 28% in 5 years).

Germany, the undoubted economic and industrial leader in Europe has now decided against nuclear power. The share of electricity produced from renewable energy in Germany has increased from 3.1% of the national total in 1990 to about 20% today (more than nuclear power output in the UK). In 2010, investments totalling $40 billion were made in Germany’s renewable energies sector. Official figures indicate that nigh on 400,000 Germans are now employed in the renewable energy sector, especially in small and medium sized companies, rising at an annual rate of c.8% to 10% per annum. Germany currently relies on nuclear for 23% of its electricity needs (c.19% in the UK) and believes that renewable sources can take up most of this slack by the time it is eliminated in 2022. With a population of 82 million (UK: 62 million) and a solid position in industrial productivity (producing nearly 2x UK industrial output), Germany needs to be respected when it comes to decisions on industrial strategy and infrastructure investment. In these areas, sadly the UK lacks both ambition and vision.

Yes Germany over reacted to incidents in Japan. How many people died due to the Nuclear incidents in Japan ? None. Yes lessons need to be learnt but the major incident of the Tsunami the power plant survived that and they are very old Reactors. It was the Back up generators that got damaged which caused the trouble, and admittedly it was the design and location of these back up generators that caused the Problems.

Yes there is a big job influx in these renew ables but i tell you and i tell you now they don't friggin work when the wind don't blow the lights don't glow. They don't friggin work when the wind blows to hard either. Solar is the best option to an extent but the technology isn't at the moment good enough. But they will get better that's for sure so should be encouraged. But wind even in the future technology won't make the wind blow. I don't know what you have got against Nuclear Power but me i have worked in this industry for nearly 26 years. And sorry but our reactors are safe, i would not work there if i felt they were not.

Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:03 pm

Its a joke,
It usually goes as follows, would you like a bag?
yes please,
thats 5p please.... f*cking hell, give um here I will carry it!

Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:26 pm

Irrespective of Fukushima, we are racing into nuclear expansion whilst failing to develop a meaningful renewables strategy - unlike other countries. The race for nuclear is just a quick fix and is symptomatic of the chaos that is UK energy policy and the lack of strategic thinking when it comes to developing new industries. It is no coincidence that we have c.3% of our power coming from renewables and Germany is now at around 21% with 400,000 jobs created in the associated industries, many in SMEs. The lack of vision and connection to an industrial strategy is a national disgrace.

I have nothing against nuclear per se, but the decision in favour of significant nuclear expansion in the UK has discouraged a proper review of renewable options. Personally, I do not think that the Government's approach is in UK national interests when one considers the lifetime costs of nuclear and the wider economic benefits of developing new renewable technology industries - something that has been demonstrated in other countries.

Of course there has been robust lobbying by the nuclear industry in favour of new development. The UK renewables industry comes from such a low base that its lobby is both mute and dominated by the vested interests of the wind industry. When will the UK start to lead in the new industries the Government says we need? Failing to do so merely confirms the nation's relative economic decline.

Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:48 pm

Midfield general wrote:The fact of it all is that renewables bring no jobs, cost too much and are a blot to the landscape so residents will always try and stop any developments which again would cost more taxpayers money going through appeal after appeal. Whereas the areas like Anglesey who have benefited from a nuclear power station for many years all want it rebuilted because of the benefits it brings to the local ecomony.

You base your assertion on 3% of energy from renewables. The experience of other countries suggests that a commitment to investing in renewables leads to new jobs, new technologies and new companies. Do you have hard data to contradict the German experience? Siemens have set renewables at the centre of their corporate strategy - that Company employs over 400,000 worldwide. They seem to know something that you do not.

Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:35 am

Uccello Azzurro wrote:
Midfield general wrote:The fact of it all is that renewables bring no jobs, cost too much and are a blot to the landscape so residents will always try and stop any developments which again would cost more taxpayers money going through appeal after appeal. Whereas the areas like Anglesey who have benefited from a nuclear power station for many years all want it rebuilted because of the benefits it brings to the local ecomony.

You base your assertion on 3% of energy from renewables. The experience of other countries suggests that a commitment to investing in renewables leads to new jobs, new technologies and new companies. Do you have hard data to contradict the German experience? Siemens have set renewables at the centre of their corporate strategy - that Company employs over 400,000 worldwide. They seem to know something that you do not.

It dosen't detract from the fact Renew ables are as about as useful as a Chocolate fire guard

Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:34 am

milly44 wrote:Its a joke,
It usually goes as follows, would you like a bag?
yes please,
thats 5p please.... f*cking hell, give um here I will carry it!

spot on,arms full leaving asda last night :D :D :D :ayatollah:

Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:23 am

I think it's a good idea. Like Ucello stated, plastic bags cause so many issues on an environmental level that something needed to be done. 5p is f**k all. I've started taking my own bags shopping and if I am caught short without one then I just pay the money needed for them.

It's only 5p a bag and that's even if we don't have our own bags. I think complaining about that really says a lot about how stubborn and lazy we are as a country. On top of that, money raised goes to good causes.

Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:24 am

Zabier wrote:I think it's a good idea. Like Ucello stated, plastic bags cause so many issues on an environmental level that something needed to be done. 5p is f**k all. I've started taking my own bags shopping and if I am caught short without one then I just pay the money needed for them.

It's only 5p a bag and that's even if we don't have our own bags. I think complaining about that really says a lot about how stubborn and lazy we are as a country. On top of that, money raised goes to good causes.

I agree with you and in my opinion within a year this will be a non issue a bit like the smoking ban. I remember people saying that wouldn't work or it was unenforceable but now does anyone bat an eyelid at people standing outside a pub having a fag.

People will adapt and like you remember to take a bag with them when they go shopping and I would think in a years time the only people moaning will be the companies that manufacture carrier bags. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:37 am

That "BAG FOR LIFE" is a load of bollox. Have you noticed that TESCO no longer give you so called "Green Points" for not using their bags. Tesco's should have been honest about it and called them "We want to save money Bags". Rather than play the green card.

If our government was serious about the environment then they'd levy the import of meat from the other side of the planet. Why do Tescos need to fly lamb from New Zealand when better lamb is here on the doorstep. Crap beef from Argentina when British beef is far better.
Thing is a fresh leg of lamb will cost the customer around £15 regardless of weather it's from the UK or New Zealand. The difference being that Tesco's get it a few pennies cheaper. They don't give a shit about the environment when they are flying food in from all over the world so why the gov want to scratch the surface with carrier bags I don't know.

Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:40 am

Nuclearblue wrote:
Uccello Azzurro wrote:

It dosen't detract from the fact Renew ables are as about as useful as a Chocolate fire guard

No doubt you would have campaigned against the Clean Air Act 1956.

As some countries have shown, there is no need to rely on imported carbon or uranium in the longer term if you have the natural resources and vision to deliver a coherent and sustainable energy policy in the interests of the nation. Our mistake has been delay and an absurdly excessive focus on wind, especially land-based wind. Whilst other nations have surpassed all targets they set, e.g. Germany, the UK still can't work out what a target is. It is all symptomatic of why this country will continue its relative economic decline.

There can be a place for nuclear, but not if it is allowed to shroud better and bolder renewable energy solutions.

Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:47 pm

Zabier wrote:I think it's a good idea. Like Ucello stated, plastic bags cause so many issues on an environmental level that something needed to be done. 5p is f**k all. I've started taking my own bags shopping and if I am caught short without one then I just pay the money needed for them.

as stated,why not bio-degradable bags or paper :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:48 pm

Berwyn wrote:That "BAG FOR LIFE" is a load of bollox. Have you noticed that TESCO no longer give you so called "Green Points" for not using their bags. Tesco's should have been honest about it and called them "We want to save money Bags". Rather than play the green card.

If our government was serious about the environment then they'd levy the import of meat from the other side of the planet. Why do Tescos need to fly lamb from New Zealand when better lamb is here on the doorstep. Crap beef from Argentina when British beef is far better.
Thing is a fresh leg of lamb will cost the customer around £15 regardless of weather it's from the UK or New Zealand. The difference being that Tesco's get it a few pennies cheaper. They don't give a shit about the environment when they are flying food in from all over the world so why the gov want to scratch the surface with carrier bags I don't know.

spot on, :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:56 pm

Uccello Azzurro wrote:
Nuclearblue wrote:
Uccello Azzurro wrote:

As some countries have shown, there is no need to rely on imported carbon or uranium in the longer term if you have the natural resources and vision to deliver a coherent and sustainable energy policy in the interests of the nation. Our mistake has been delay and an absurdly excessive focus on wind, especially land-based wind. Whilst other nations have surpassed all targets they set, e.g. Germany, the UK still can't work out what a target is. It is all symptomatic of why this country will continue its relative economic decline.
There can be a place for nuclear, but not if it is allowed to shroud better and bolder renewable energy solutions.

There are options and they have to be explored Chief, And unless they are given time and money we will not know. Forms of Hydro would be fantastic but the location has to be right and we as a nation do not have many options available.

Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:13 am

krab wrote:

At the same time, why not just re-use your own bags? It's tit for tat it seems! :D

Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:35 pm

Zabier wrote:
krab wrote:

At the same time, why not just re-use your own bags? It's tit for tat it seems! :D

listen sonny,im knocking on a bit,but im not yet ready to get a shopping bag or worse a trolley :D :D :D :ayatollah:

Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:57 pm

Uccello Azzurro wrote:
Nuclearblue wrote:
Uccello Azzurro wrote:

The Hydro in North Wales i cant remember the spelling so i aint even gonna try :lol: Has now been running for 83 years which is incredible. But when it first opened it was producing 12 MWs and since modifications in the 90s to the Turbines it now produces 30mws enough for around 12.000 homes i believe. The new turbines by Angelsey the stand alone ones will produce enough Electricity for 10.000 so it must be around 25 MWs. So it isnt massive and there would not be enough places around the UK where they could be used Chief, but where they can be used they should.
Compare that with a Modern Nuclear plant that would produce between 1200 and 1500 MWs that is massive.
You need to have a good mix and yes Coal should be used, and British Coal should be mined which would create many Jobs in the process

Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:43 pm

Let's not forget that there is enough hydro power for the entirety of Wales right on our doorstep. The main proposal would be just 6 miles from the Cardiff City Stadium. I am not saying that Severn Barrage proposal is the optimal technology and environmental solution for this untapped opportunity, but it gives an indication of the minimum that is possible. Planners for this project have estimated that just this one project could create 35,000 construction jobs and between 10,000 and 40,000 permanent jobs.

By contrast, I understand that the nuclear industry employed c.40,000 people across the UK as a whole and just 1,400 in Wales at the end of 2009.

Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:16 pm

Uccello Azzurro wrote:Let's not forget that there is enough hydro power for the entirety of Wales right on our doorstep. The main proposal would be just 6 miles from the Cardiff City Stadium. I am not saying that Severn Barrage proposal is the optimal technology and environmental solution for this untapped opportunity, but it gives an indication of the minimum that is possible. Planners for this project have estimated that just this one project could create 35,000 construction jobs and between 10,000 and 40,000 permanent jobs.

By contrast, I understand that the nuclear industry employed c.40,000 people across the UK as a whole and just 1,400 in Wales at the end of 2009.

The Severn Barrage would provide enough electricity for the whole of Wales !! :o :o i think you are overestimating just a Tad there Son. 1/It is new technology so they can only estimate how much it would produce but it may be enough for say the City of Cardiff and maybe Swansea if it went well. But again it is a very pricey idea for very uncertain results. And exactly how many people would it take to run this barrage ? 40.000 :o :lol: :lol: :lol: . But Wales did have two Nuclear Power Stations and one has been shut down since the late 80s and Wylfa is due to stop generating in the next year or two. The population of Anglesey are desperate for this new Station to be built and even Plaid Cymru are 100% in favour of this one as if they did not back it they would of been kicked off the Island.

Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:46 pm

i was in screwfix yesterday,the bloke behind the counter asked the guy infront of me if he wanted a bag,standard size 5p but the large bag 10p, W.T.F........can somebody explain bag sizes :ayatollah:

Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:09 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:
Uccello Azzurro wrote:Let's not forget that there is enough hydro power for the entirety of Wales right on our doorstep. The main proposal would be just 6 miles from the Cardiff City Stadium. I am not saying that Severn Barrage proposal is the optimal technology and environmental solution for this untapped opportunity, but it gives an indication of the minimum that is possible. Planners for this project have estimated that just this one project could create 35,000 construction jobs and between 10,000 and 40,000 permanent jobs.

The Severn Barrage would provide enough electricity for the whole of Wales !! :o :o i think you are overestimating just a Tad there Son. 1/It is new technology so they can only estimate how much it would produce but it may be enough for say the City of Cardiff and maybe Swansea if it went well. But again it is a very pricey idea for very uncertain results. And exactly how many people would it take to run this barrage ? 40.000 :o :lol: :lol: :lol: . But Wales did have two Nuclear Power Stations and one has been shut down since the late 80s and Wylfa is due to stop generating in the next year or two. The population of Anglesey are desperate for this new Station to be built and even Plaid Cymru are 100% in favour of this one as if they did not back it they would of been kicked off the Island.

The Severn Barrage proposal from Brean Down to Lavernock Point is the most analysed option. The estimated generating capacity of this project is over 8,600 MW or 5% to 6% of the UK's needs. I understand that Wales consumes c.6% to 7% of total electricity in the UK and that we are currently a net exporter of electricity to England. The minimum lifespan of the barrage has been calculated as 120 years (3 x average life of typical nuclear reactor) although 200 years is seen as viable with proper maintenance.

I understand that the proposed Severn Barrage's capacity of 8,600 MW is equivalent to 5.3 or 7.8 nuclear reactors depending on which of the two approved designs (AP1000 and EPR) are supported under current UK nuclear power policy.