Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

British Bulldog ADVICE NEEDED

Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:59 pm

we are going to look at one tomorrow night a bitch in Llanelli, any one on here ever owned one

just need to know how they are as pets and what they are like to keep as pets

ta

Re: British Bulldog ADVICE NEEDED

Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:10 pm

Baz be very carefull i had one for a few years,they a very prone to breathing problems,lovelly dogs great with children and very loyal.Make sure you get all the papers and make sure the dog bitch has been checked out by a vet,good luck :ayatollah:

Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:13 pm

she will come with full vets checks insurance the works, i have always had german shepherds so this is new for me, the good with children thing is mega important

Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:17 pm

Baz they are excellent with children,but like i said they do suffer health problems,maybe i was just unlucky with mine he died age 5,anyway like i said good luck

Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:17 pm

cheers EB :ayatollah:

Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:18 pm

Quite rare dogs nowadays. Breathing problems are an issue. Temperament is generally good. If you want a dog that is good with kids go for a labrador or cocker spaniel. I have a mad Cocker who is brilliant with my kids especially 18 month old baby who likes grabbing floppy ears etc.

Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:18 pm

They say a dog looks like it's owner!!!! ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:20 pm

sam salim wrote:They say a dog looks like it's owner!!!! ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:
thats why the name SAM comes to mind :D :lol: :lol:

Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:21 pm

I f*cking hope not! My b*stard dog (see avator) looks more like Robbie Pissing Savage than me.....

Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:21 pm

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:

I f*cking hope not! My b*stard dog (see avator) looks more like Robbie Pissing Savage than me.....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:28 pm

bluebirdbaz wrote:
thats why the name SAM comes to mind :D :lol: :lol:

tw*t! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:28 pm

earnieblue's advice is sound. good luck

Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:30 pm

Another thing baz a lot of kennals down west are nothing more than puppy farms,ask to see where the pup stays,and if possable ask to see the parents and try to find out how old they are :ayatollah:

Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:22 pm

It's a private house in Llanelli I would never have a dog off one of those farms

Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:41 pm

Good on you :ayatollah:

Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:00 pm

The British Bulldog over a hundred years ago looked very different to what they look now. Back then it looked more like a Pitbull but because it got bred to change its looks it now has massive breathing problems, which is sad and downright cruel, as events like Crufts has encouraged this practise.
But as Sam said "Looks like its owner" he forgot the chewing a wasp bit as well :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:13 pm

:lol: :lol:

Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:04 pm

picked her up brindle and white

she has been named Matilda (tilly) for short

early pics on facebook, at the moment she is snoring like a f*cking warthog :lol: :lol:

Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:31 pm

bluebirdbaz wrote:picked her up brindle and white

early pics on facebook, at the moment she is snoring like a f*cking warthog :lol: :lol:

Cant take Deb anywhere :oops:

Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:32 am

:lol: the dog is no better than her

Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:40 am

why does a dog shit in its own bed FFS i really could do without this in the morning, and the blanket cost a tenner

Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:36 am

great dogs ive had 2 of them very friendly but do suffer breathing probs and very sensitive skin lost the bitch at 9 years old but dog is 7 and still going strong

Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:42 pm

daiwint wrote:great dogs ive had 2 of them very friendly but do suffer breathing probs and very sensitive skin lost the bitch at 9 years old but dog is 7 and still going strong

It's like having a new baby in the house

Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:03 pm

bluebirdbaz wrote:picked her up brindle and white

My mate owns one. 4yr old male called "Yogi".

He's a brilliant dog. Very placid, obedient, good with other dogs and brilliant with his children. The dog and his 3yr old daughter are almost inseparable.

They tend to be extremely people friendly, so not much cop as a guard dog apparently?

Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:17 pm

bluebirdbaz wrote:
daiwint wrote:great dogs ive had 2 of them very friendly but do suffer breathing probs and very sensitive skin lost the bitch at 9 years old but dog is 7 and still going strong

It's like having a new baby in the house

yes mate they are like babys and they never grow up

Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:21 pm

just shit on my missus fave rug out the conservatory never ever thought i would be doing puppy training againm after our german shepherd had to be put to sleep at 16 years old :cry:

But matilda (milly) is just amazing very hard work but amazing

Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:14 pm

bluebirdbaz wrote:just shit on my missus fave rug out the conservatory never ever thought i would be doing puppy training againm after our german shepherd had to be put to sleep at 16 years old :cry:

Why did you shit on your Missus fave rug :lol:

Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:26 am

blueheaven wrote:
bluebirdbaz wrote:just shit on my missus fave rug out the conservatory never ever thought i would be doing puppy training againm after our german shepherd had to be put to sleep at 16 years old :cry:

Why did you shit on your Missus fave rug :lol:
do it all the time but this time she caught me :D

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:37 pm

Bit late here but hey !! I've had many bull breeds over the years, 3 bullmastiffs a Rottie and now a French bulldog, first two bullmastiffs lived till 11 and 10, had lots of health probs , great with people but mauled every dog in it's pathway, 3rd was placid as hell and weighed 12 stone ( all muscle) but had stomach cancer , put down at 4, rescued a rottweiller very loyal and intelligent dog, mad as a hatter, great with other dogs, rubbish with people, bit the postman and was very jealous of my 6 month old daughter, was put to sleep last week as had cancer of the spleen, went rapidly downhill, poor dog, we had the French bulldog along with Rottie , another rescue, still cost £800 mind, lovely dog.. Great with kids , dogs and people, a proper lap dog, built and muscular unlike a lot Of French bulldogs I've seen about Cardiff , snores and grunts like a pig!!! You have to be v careful of bulldogs in the heat , they dint generally
Like it and should be kept in the shade!! but again they've cottoned on to there popularity and are inbreeding etc, he was from spain originally he's about 3 now and a very lovely dog, all in all we've had years of pleasure from these bull breed dogs but as others said it's very sad as they have loads of problems due to breed standards , which in turn promotes inter breeding etc , but my mrs always says, let's get a Labrador or similar ... There just to boring !!! Great dogs but Ive always liked the more obscure.just to note all our dogs had obedience( Rottie did agility as well) training and it's worth it's weight in gold

Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:12 pm

she has really found her feet today, mrs left her for 5 mins and came home to a right steamer(again) i have always has german shepherds but a bulldog is a brand bew era :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: