Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Olly

Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:15 am

For those of you who were calling for the return of Olly, do you still think we need him?

Personally I didn't want him back before and after watching how Kiss and Gun ran the centre midfield yesterday I wonder if you would have changed your minds?

Re: Olly

Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:53 am

imo olly would be a good addition on one hand, but on the other hand would ego get in the way of competition for first team football ? plus ollies wages would be really high and with what we got know im undecided on this. I did like ollie and he played well in alot of games. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: how much would Kiss be on a perminent ??

Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:51 am

I would imagine he would cost quite a bit, as I think he is still the captain of the U21's (Can see why!!). So far for me he's looking a great prospect for us this season.

Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:25 am

kiss and gunnerson did very well. but we dont have any cover in that position behind them.

olly would be a great addition to any squad

Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:27 am

Is this the same Olly that went missing from November to Feb, and then in the title run in I don't think he found a pass once and was very very slow on the ball, way to hit and miss for the wages he would be on, plus we have two very competent holding midfielders now

Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:26 am

he simply wouldnt get in the team at the min ute,oly blew hot and cold but when he had an off day the whole team suffered,jones expected too much from him ultimately

Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:41 am

I'm still not convinced about Kiss although admittedly he has only just broke into the team.

One thing I would point out is how many goals are Kiss & Gunn going to get? Being fair to Olly he chipped in well last season and his height always made him a threat from set peices.

Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:03 am

We have enough central players now so no.

Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:13 am

no don't think we need him we got the little pitbull in there now think he doing a great job

Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:30 pm

No.

Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:05 pm

Midfield general wrote:
Bellamys barmy army wrote:Is this the same Olly that went missing from November to Feb, and then in the title run in I don't think he found a pass once and was very very slow on the ball, way to hit and miss for the wages he would be on, plus we have two very competent holding midfielders now

Yeah the same Olly who wasn't 100% injured during those times, who wasn't playing in his regular position and the same person who wanted to play for the club no matter what league we were in this season. Also the same man who give us some kind of threat with set-pieces, oh yeah Olly I remember him now ;)

He should have been signed as soon as the Reading game finished in my opinion FACT.

saying FACT doesnt mean its a fact for one :lol:

for two, this is the same Olly who after his injury came back and looked lost 60% of the time.
Olly was playing his usual position, he was playing a holding midfield role but (like Gunnarson or Kiss who both play his position primarily) came forward for attacks.
Man that gives us threat from set-pieces? Kiss can do that, he's tall enough and plays the same position.
His passing was very hit and miss, his first touch was much the same.

I would rather not have signed him given his age and looked at younger players or similar quality (Gunnarson, Kiss).

Right move was made IMO.

Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:37 pm

I don't think we need Olly back but I am bemused about this idea that he played a holding midfield role for us. People thought he should do that because of his size but he never performed that role for us and he hasn't done that for any of his other clubs either. In fact Dave Jones rarely set up with a holding midfield player. He expected both his centre mid players to be all rounders. One of the reasons his teams were regularly outplayed in the middle of the park. Very happy that Gunnarsson is doing the job now. Can't understand the enthusiasm for Kiss. He was awful on Sunday. Constantly giving the ball away through fouls (should have been booked), bad passes and general dimwittedness. He does work hard though, and there were at least some signs in the cup match on Wednesday that he might be able to play a bit. So maybe there is more to come but at the moment I think people are too easily impressed by his willlingness to run around and kick people.

Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:38 pm

Liked Oly - what is he doing now ? who is he with ?

Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:59 pm

NIBluebird wrote:Liked Oly - what is he doing now ? who is he with ?

good point actually.he sure as hell aint getting in the hull city side

Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:01 pm

Nemo wrote:I don't think we need Olly back but I am bemused about this idea that he played a holding midfield role for us. People thought he should do that because of his size but he never performed that role for us and he hasn't done that for any of his other clubs either. In fact Dave Jones rarely set up with a holding midfield player. He expected both his centre mid players to be all rounders. One of the reasons his teams were regularly outplayed in the middle of the park. Very happy that Gunnarsson is doing the job now. Can't understand the enthusiasm for Kiss. He was awful on Sunday. Constantly giving the ball away through fouls (should have been booked), bad passes and general dimwittedness. He does work hard though, and there were at least some signs in the cup match on Wednesday that he might be able to play a bit. So maybe there is more to come but at the moment I think people are too easily impressed by his willlingness to run around and kick people.

Actually, he has played as a defensive midfielder for all his clubs before he was at Cardiff, stretching back to Brann (I'm not sure about when he was in Nigeria)

Fact is, Dave Jones didn't utilise his strengths and abilities.

Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:08 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:I'm still not convinced about Kiss although admittedly he has only just broke into the team.

One thing I would point out is how many goals are Kiss & Gunn going to get? Being fair to Olly he chipped in well last season and his height always made him a threat from set peices.

I have watched the game again today. Kiss and Gunnarsson nailed the Leicester
midfield for most of the second half. He lacks match practice Kiss, but i wouldnt
swop either of those two for ANY of Leicesters midfield, Seriously. We got two
stars there. Add to that the energiser bunny whizzing round the midfield like a
Speed freak looking for a hit AND scoring goals... We have also got Whittingham
Conway and our Centre Halfs getting goals, and our forwards are yet to click if
we're being honest.

Gunnars and 'Gizza' can just move the ball along all day as far as im concerned

Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:26 pm

I think its fair to say that he would have been even more effective playing the way we do now and its obvious we need a bigger squad and an addition like him would be great.Teams that get promoted from this league tend to have the best squad-not just a good starting eleven.

Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:17 pm

englishbluebird wrote:
NIBluebird wrote:Liked Oly - what is he doing now ? who is he with ?

good point actually.he sure as hell aint getting in the hull city side

Hes still at Hull, was ruled out with a bad injury or something in pre season i think