Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

THE END OF FOOTBALL AS WE KNOW IT.

Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:26 pm

Below is an article I came acrosson http://www.football365.com.
If this comes off football will never be the same. It suggests keeping rival teams apart to reduce the risk of trouble, so basically a rigged draw.
Now if that starts in the Carling cup, it will soon spread, my God they'd never allow us and Swansea in the same division, let alone the same cup draw.

Now this may only be a suggestion from some bloke I have not heard of, but the conspiratorial theory in my head is, that if they intend putting out feelers or a toe in the water, this is how they would set about it, put out an idea, see how much flak or support it gets and then creep it in bit by bit. Watch this space!

John Nicholson summed up my views on the annual Carling Cup debate: that clubs are foolish to turn down a chance for glory. Birmingham City, deposed as holders by Etihad United on Wednesday, were not relegated in May because they won the Carling Cup in February; and even if - rather than inept play and management being at fault - that were the case, Blues have an indelible moment to cherish.

There have been plenty of contrary views, but there's one group who would no doubt like to weigh in on the tournament's future who have not been represented hereabouts: the police. For cup competitions throw up meetings that the forces of law and order would understandably wish to avoid, such as Tuesday's stupidity outside Elland Road.

The problem thrown up by that scale of disorder, as was the case with the recent greed riots, is imposing punishments that fit the crime. The mass of morons are just clever enough to work out that there is strength in numbers: whatever the endeavours to identify, detain, charge and convict them, only a relatively small number are likely to be brought before the courts.

There is a reason that the trouble took place on the streets, whereas 30 years ago the game might have been played to a backdrop of violence. Closed-circuit TV has had a dramatic effect on disorder inside grounds. Stewarding can be ineffectual in the face of the despicable mass chanting but scuffles and projectile-throwing are usually dealt with, the culprits identified and banned.

Other technology plays a part at curtailing trouble inside grounds. When England played France at Wembley last November I was able to text the stadium authorities the block, row and seat number of a compatriot who violently confronted a French fan then legged it away from the stewards before sneaking his way back to his seat. But there are no such options for the street disorder, with CCTV much patchier and of poorer quality, especially at night.

The Carling Cup presents a particular problem. I must query the explanation for the creation of the League Cup from Conrad Wiacek in Mailbox, that it was created to lure clubs away from European competition. The League Cup started in 1960, in the fifth year of English participation in the European Cup (only Chelsea in 1955 spurned the invitation, giving in to Football League pressure). I believe it was inaugurated to capitalise on the recent introduction of floodlights to English grounds. Initially leading clubs opted out, until a Wembley final was introduced in 1967 (rather than home-and-away legs) and the winners were given a European place.

Floodlights are the problem here. In the league, the police can schedule difficult matches for times when they are best able to react; only the League Cup final is played at a weekend so they have much less room to manoeuvre. A couple of years ago, a West Ham v Millwall League Cup tie was a debacle; when that game was staged at The Den last weekend, there was trouble - but with a lunchtime kick-off the police could keep it to a minimum. The FA Cup is mainly played on weekends.

I dislike blunt measures against hooliganism. Matches played behind closed doors (or with women and children only) penalise law-abiding men and in any case would not stop a neanderthal War of the Roses taking place on the streets outside. But in the Carling Cup - and the Carling Cup only - is it time to keep the peace by intervening in the draws?

UEFA and FIFA make special dispensation in their draws to keep apart countries where political tensions make football matches potential international incidents. It would not be possible, or fair on other participants, to keep apart quarter-finalists. The police would not be able to take unilateral action and derbies such as Chelsea v Fulham would be left unaffected. But wouldn't everyone except Michael Owen be better off if Tuesday's opponents had been paired off with others?

Philip Cornwall

Re: THE END OF FOOTBALL AS WE KNOW IT.

Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:28 pm

Looks like this Phillip Cornwall bloke that wrote it, is the sports editor for the Guardian, says it all really.

Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:23 pm

What a load of shit that is written by somebody who understands nothing about football and football rivalaries :twisted:

Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:29 pm

BigGwynram wrote:Looks like this Phillip Cornwall bloke that wrote it, is the sports editor for the Guardian, says it all really.

To be fair the Guardian is usually the most sensible when it comes to civil liberties and football, shocked if he is the sport editor. Should be sacked for being a feckin idiot.

Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:35 pm

CF14-SE14 wrote:
BigGwynram wrote:Looks like this Phillip Cornwall bloke that wrote it, is the sports editor for the Guardian, says it all really.

To be fair the Guardian is usually the most sensible when it comes to civil liberties and football, shocked if he is the sport editor. Should be sacked for being a feckin idiot.

Just some squeezer who doesnt understand. Probably an Arsenal fan.

Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:54 pm

ELY BOY wrote:Stuff like this is why I can't justify spending my hard earned cash on football anymore.

Betting scandals, players earning wages I won't earn in my lietime, people trying to turn football crowds into what you would see down the local bowls club and the moment football died for me can be summed up in seven words...........

Cardiff City, family club of the year. :roll:

why should those words spell the end of football or football die for you because cardiff is family club of year do we as parents and grandparents not have the right to watch foot ball just as much as you football died of and families stopped going to games in 70 80s because of the violence but the wheel has turned full circle and different fans now come to games as families because of the work done to remove violence from the stadiums

Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:02 pm

The end of football as we know it, will come about if the law and governing bodies can decide who plays who in what cup draw, how long will it be before they prevent rivals having league fixtures against each other then.

George Orwell 1984, closer than you think. :old: