Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Eight year old cage fighters !!

Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:14 pm

What is your views on this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dux5sd-QDDg.

Mine is i do not see the problem, they are not allowed to punch or kick each other, they are learning an art. When they start saying Cage fighting everyone has the image that these Kids are trying to kill one another.

My own Son fights in tournaments in Karate and they actually punch and kick each other which is worse than those Kids in the cage fight but he started at 12.

Re: Eight year old cage fighters !!

Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:19 pm

Yeh i seen that earlier mate, doesn't really look right when u see them both in the ring but if they r not allowed to punch n kick etc i cant see a problem as like the parents say its keepin them out of trouble on the streets etc, i cant see many parents lettin them do it at that age mind

Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:22 pm

The ONLY problem with this video was... them kids were an exhibition
bout before two older kids came on. So the adults there were lashed
up. I disagree with that.

but yes, kids get more hurt going to Karate, boxing, Ju Jitsu...

Gymnastics and Horse Riding are more dangerous (but posh see, so its ok)

Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:24 pm

Total sensationalism mate.

I hate the term cage fighting!!! it should be referred to as Mixed Martial Arts.

What the kids are doing is wrestling with a little Ju Jitsu - they've got s far far far greater chance of getting hurt playing Rugby.

That piece of journalism is pathetic!

I do think it's extreme having them compete in the cage when mat's would suffice.

Even if they were competing in full blown MMA, they've got way more ways to defend themselves than most other combat sports like Karate and Tae Kwon Do - I really don't see what the problem is!

Same old media blowing things out of proportion and making up stories!

Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:31 pm

taffyapple wrote:The ONLY problem with this video was... them kids were an exhibition
bout before two older kids came on. So the adults there were lashed
up. I disagree with that.

but yes, kids get more hurt going to Karate, boxing, Ju Jitsu...

Gymnastics and Horse Riding are more dangerous (but posh see, so its ok)

Yeah if the audience is lashed then that is wrong as it can lead to the wrong sort of heckling at the Kids. But it defo keeps the kids fit instead of on there XBox or PlayStation ETC.
Dont get me wrong its hard watching your Kids fight i have seen my Boy hurt when he had to have the ST Johns ambulance come on patch him up, but the little bugger got stuck straight back in again. And got into a right war.

Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:39 pm

Seen this on Daybreak this morning, shouldn;t be allowed but found it quite funny :lol: :ayatollah:

Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:44 pm

There were medics in attedance no punches thrown just wrestling mainly see nothing wrong with it. \i strated boxing when I was 9 :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:37 pm

I can see the concern people have for this situation, yes i take on board that other sports are equally as dangerous if not more dangerous, as long as the rules are adjusted for their age bracket and maybe bring some defensive padding for that extra bit of safety and you have a responsible referee i dont see a problem.
I would really gauge this version of mma more like american college wrestling as no punch or strikes are used in america and in america kids start wrestling at 5 some as young as 3. As long as there are rules set up for the safety of children in mma I have no issues. It keeps kids fit and involved in sport, but i dont buy the excuse of, if these kids werent taking part in mma they would be running riot in the streets because there are other sports there are even other combat sports you could take part in.

Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:06 am

no punches, no kicking, what were they doing cuddling :shock: bit weird if you ask me.

no punches, no kicking, what were they doing cuddling :shock: bit weird if you ask me.

Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:34 am

I think it's odd you posted that 3 times 2blue, was the image just stuck in your head? :? :shock:

Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:40 am

NO punching, NO kicking and in my eyes NO point then

Stop teaching kids aggression - theres enough of it about

Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:48 am

In my kick-boxing class kids can start from 4 years old, yet no one batters an eyelid when they fight in competitions. I don't get why there is such a fuss over this, it is an art, just like all martial arts. As long as it refereed correctly there's no harm.

Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:19 am

It's easy to see how your average brain dead Daily Mail reader would not understand it. Probably the same people responsible for banning sports days in schools because they say it's not fair on the kids that don't win the races.

It's just another fighting sport at the end of the day. These people complaining should get over themselves.

Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:12 am

I don't get the problem with the crowd drinking either - no one cares when kids are playing at the stadium at half time on a matchday infront of a well oiled crowd

Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:18 am

It's not cage fight.

It's BJJ/Sub grabbling - you are looking to make the other person tap out to a lock or a choke.

Nothing wrong with it. Happens in the UK at the time.

It just doesn't happen in a cage at a pro-mma event.

It had no place being there.

Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:06 am

BEEP AHM wrote:NO punching, NO kicking and in my eyes NO point then

Stop teaching kids aggression - there's enough of it about

I really don't get your point of view Chief. We Humans are a fairly aggressive race and Boxing Martial Arts ETC is an art. But with Kids if they can release the urge to fight in a controlled way then they are not going to take it out onto the streets.
The way i look at it with my Son he has the skills to be able to defend himself and i would expect him to, he has the punching power to do serious damage to an Adult never mind another Kid, So if he decided to attack some one (Of which i know he would not do) i would take him apart piece by piece, or if he decided to have a consensual fight he would be in the trouble of his life. But in his Licence he is allowed to defend himself his Family or in fact anyone he sees that are being attacked as long as he does not go overboard, because if he did he could have his licence revoked.
But it also gives Kids discipline and control, and it gives them something to strive for. The respect these Kids have for each other when they are sparring or in competition is amazing. There is a Kid my Son spars with and at times they batter the shit out of each other and at times they have to be separated when time is called, but as soon as they are separated they always give each other a cuddle (Bless) And even in competition where they don't know each other they show great respect after a bout. I understand it isn't the cup of tea of everyone and if you dont agree with it that's fine. My problem is when Liberal types try and ban it without understanding it.

Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:26 am

Sorry Steve it's one down from Dog Fighting, cock fighting in my book.

It was the context in a cage grown adults cheering kids on. nasty stuff we have had discussions Steve I totally support martial arts with kids great for them but this is mental.

It was sick. :old:

Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:38 am

there may have been no punches etc.. but they were trying to get into a submission move.. just as bad...

at what year do they actually start having bouts in boxing and karate etc?? im not sure , but surely its not 7 or 8 more like 12 upwards..

Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:46 pm

placid-casual wrote:Sorry Steve it's one down from Dog Fighting, cock fighting in my book.

It was the context in a cage grown adults cheering kids on. nasty stuff we have had discussions Steve I totally support martial arts with kids great for them but this is mental.

It was sick. :old:

Totally agree - I tought is was totally out of order - if the kids want to keep fit or/and do sport that is fine - but to hold it in front of a crowd of drinker, that is wrong!!

I know, next time I am up the pub I will get my 2 kids to have a fight in front of everyone and we can cheer them on - not

I despair sometimes at what people call a sport and then try to defend it - pathetic!!

:old: :old:

Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:52 pm

Fusileer and Jules yes i agree the venue was wrong because it was meant for Adults fighting. But in the context of the actual contest there was nothing wrong with it IMO. The Kids was not going to get hurt, Playing Rugby or even Football would of been much more dangerous. But its the name that gives it a bad name, Cage fighting gives the impression that its a free for all with no rules and that could not be further from the truth, You have different rules for Amateur and semi Pro ETC. As some one said it should be known as MMA (Mixed Martial Arts). But to be honest if those boys was in a sports hall on a mat then there would not of been a problem.
But when Regan fights you have crowds cheering and shouting, but i do tend to shout encouragement to Regan and not Hit him, Kill him, Or deck him as that would be inappropriate. I do try to remember that Kids are competing.
And for how old do they start ? In Karate it is 11 years old in the Welsh Championships and 12 for National.

Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:31 pm

I dont see anything wrong with this.
My daughter has been going to kick boxing and karate classes since she was 6 and has been competing in competitions
since 7 having won the wcka tounament for her age and size twice.
These competitions are full contact with plenty of kicks and punches landing.

I dont see why this is any different, its a form of martial arts and teaches kids respect, discipline and keeps them active.

My daughter loves going to classes and competing and i bet if you asked the children competing they are just as passionate.
Like others have said the rules are changed to match their age and there a medics available if the unlikely thing of a serious accident happens.

Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:24 pm

MY Daughter and I do full contact Kick Boxing and much more likely to get injured even in training so for me I think as long as it is disciplined, taught properly, reff'ed properly and the children's safety is paramount I don't see a problem with it. The only thing I personally didn't like was that It was staged in a cage when there was no need and the fact you had a crowd of adults cheering and heckling at two children fighting which I found aittle perverse to be honest..!! :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:55 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:

I really don't get your point of view Chief. We Humans are a fairly aggressive race and Boxing Martial Arts ETC is an art. But with Kids if they can release the urge to fight in a controlled way then they are not going to take it out onto the streets.
The way i look at it with my Son he has the skills to be able to defend himself and i would expect him to, he has the punching power to do serious damage to an Adult never mind another Kid, So if he decided to attack some one (Of which i know he would not do) i would take him apart piece by piece, or if he decided to have a consensual fight he would be in the trouble of his life. But in his Licence he is allowed to defend himself his Family or in fact anyone he sees that are being attacked as long as he does not go overboard, because if he did he could have his licence revoked.
But it also gives Kids discipline and control, and it gives them something to strive for. The respect these Kids have for each other when they are sparring or in competition is amazing. There is a Kid my Son spars with and at times they batter the shit out of each other and at times they have to be separated when time is called, but as soon as they are separated they always give each other a cuddle (Bless) And even in competition where they don't know each other they show great respect after a bout. I understand it isn't the cup of tea of everyone and if you dont agree with it that's fine. My problem is when Liberal types try and ban it without understanding it.

Some fair points Steve but not every kid controls their aggression like yours and you know some of em take it out of the 'ring'
Bit like the army lads who quite rightly have aggression drilled into them for the wars of this world but some of them take it back to everyday life. Not their fault because they are mentally trained 24/7 whilst in training/battle

Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:19 pm

BEEP AHM wrote:
Nuclearblue wrote:

Some fair points Steve but not every kid controls their aggression like yours and you know some of em take it out of the 'ring'
Bit like the army lads who quite rightly have aggression drilled into them for the wars of this world but some of them take it back to everyday life. Not their fault because they are mentally trained 24/7 whilst in training/battle

Beep with Martial Arts you have to have a licence which is correct and proper but say for instance my boy turned into a bully then he can and will have his licence taken off him. But they dont just teach them how to fight they teach them respect and to turn them into a better person. I am not saying there would be no cases of them using what they know for the wrong reasons but its not that many. To be able to succeed in Martial Arts you need to be dedicated and be prepared to sacrifice a lot of your time and practice practice practice. So if your only aim was to terrify or bully other Kids they would of given up because its a slow and sometimes repetitive training regime that requires total dedication.It seems mad but Regan has no desire to go on the street and fight (well i hope he dosen't) But put him on the mat and he will pit his witts against anyone.

Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:40 pm

what entertainment are the audiance having dont get it :?:

Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:34 am

Steve as someone who coaches and Mentors childrens sport for a national body I would have no problem in my squash kids doing martial arts I'm a big fan for Fitness and the Principles and it's a great confidence booster but I reiterate the context off the cage and adults roaring them on.
I even saw the family being interviewed of one off the boys after and It's another nail in the morale society in this country.

Lets bring back Bull Baiting, Cock Fighting oh er Mrs
lol

Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:36 am

davy wrote:what entertainment are the audiance having dont get it :?:

after 7/8 pints It was probably funny if your a complete cu##
:D

Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:53 pm

It was the venue and the crowd that really annoyed me

Have no probs with kids doing martial arts etc but not for the "entertaiment" of a drink fuelled workings mens club

:old: