Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

The offside law at last nights game

Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:44 am

Can someone explaine to me the law as it currently stands, on more than two occasions, players were caught offside when in they're own half of the field, I know that they came from an offside position in our territory, but surely when they step back into they're own half of the field they are not offside.

Re: The offside law at last nights game

Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:53 am

You answered the question yourself Because they came back from an offside position even if they did come back into their own half Just the rules of the game but seen it been called more in the last year than ever

Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:53 am

The offside rule states that if you are stood in an offside position when the ball is played, but then come onside to collect the ball, you are still offside. So in other words, if you are standing 5 yards offside, then a player see's you are free and plays the ball to you but you then have to run in front of the "last man", to collect the ball, even tho you have the ball in an onside position, you are offside.

Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:51 am

The offside rule kicks in the moment the ball is intentionally played FORWARD..... (if you are offside as the ball is hit up to you - then no matter how far back onside you run to collect the ball - you were still offside when the ball was played!)

Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:08 am

Merlin wrote:The offside rule kicks in the moment the ball is intentionally played FORWARD..... (if you are offside as the ball is hit up to you - then no matter how far back onside you run to collect the ball - you were still offside when the ball was played!)

It doesn't even have to be intentional. All the laws of the game are flawed. They can be interpreted in so many ways that it's one of the reason you see things going different ways in every game. Almose everything(if not everything) in the laws of the game handbook is accompanied by "in the opinion of the referee". Therein lies one of the main problems, in my opinion as a referee.

Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:01 pm

Changing the subject slightly, we're not getting many handball decisions these days :evil:

Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:05 pm

llangainbluebird wrote:Changing the subject slightly, we're not getting many handball decisions these days :evil:

Ah, but it depends on wethere they were deliberate or not.....another flawed LOTG!!!!

Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:21 pm

Thanks for that, but I still think that law is ridiclous and slows the game down,

on another point, the ref at times last night did not allow any advantage, free cicks were awarded when he should have played the advantage rule, this happened to both sides and is so frustrating to watching supporters!!