Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

KEVIN McNAUGHTON - DISTRIBUTION

Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:50 pm

I have read a few comments over the last couple of days about Kevin McNaughton's distribution, there is no doubt regarding his commitment to the shirt but his passing range and crosses leaves a lot to be desired, I have felt this for some years and people who sit around me are probably fed up of hearing me say it, but I notice more and more City fans are passing the same comments.

I wrote a piece for the Echo last month but due to space it was edited and I put the full piece up on here and I remember writing then about the very same thing.

"Fans favourite McNaughton is exactly that for the fully committed displays he constantly gives to the shirt but there is certainly a downfall to his game and that is his distribution, too many times on Wednesday and in previous games down the years, has he gone down the flank but failed to find his target with the resulting pass or cross."

Taken from this link viewtopic.php?f=2&t=57743

What are your opinions on Kevin McNaughton's distribution?

Re: KEVIN McNAUGHTON - DISTRIBUTION

Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:53 pm

As much as I love the guy you are right Carl. But that said, if his distribution was better would he have been snapped up by a bigger club years ago? I think he probably would :ayatollah:

Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:56 pm

Distribution/Crossing has been a problem for the last few seasons and isn't confind to Kevin Mc.

Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:58 pm

Totally agree, He is great going forward but lacks the final pass or cross that plus his injury record is why he is still in a Cardiff shirt and not a premier league team. :ayatollah:

Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:00 pm

its not something im too bothered about as to be fair we shouldnt have to rely on kev for crosses into box they should be for the wingers, id much prefer kevs commitment and devensive work

Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:02 pm

In a strange sort of way Kevin McNaughton is both one of the strongest and weakest links in the team. No one will doubt he is the best and most committed defender at the club but going forward he has all the attributes for a top class attacking fullback, except the ability to pick a pass or deliver a quality cross.

In fairness to Kevin this year he is playing further forward than he ever has during his time with the club and I hope he grows into this role and we see a big improvement in his passing / crossing.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:04 pm

In my opinion he is Super Kev Full Stop. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:06 pm

In my opinion he is Super Kev Full Stop. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:09 pm

Carl the answer is simple, it's the reason he isn't playing in the prem.

In saying that he more than makes up for it. He gets in key positions so much more often that he reserves the right to some poor crosses. Still a top player.

Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:59 pm

carlccfc wrote:I have read a few comments over the last couple of days about Kevin McNaughton's distribution, there is no doubt regarding his commitment to the shirt but his passing range and crosses leaves a lot to be desired, I have felt this for some years and people who sit around me are probably fed up of hearing me say it, but I notice more and more City fans are passing the same comments.

I wrote a piece for the Echo last month but due to space it was edited and I put the full piece up on here and I remember writing then about the very same thing.

"Fans favourite McNaughton is exactly that for the fully committed displays he constantly gives to the shirt but there is certainly a downfall to his game and that is his distribution, too many times on Wednesday and in previous games down the years, has he gone down the flank but failed to find his target with the resulting pass or cross."

Taken from this link http://cardiffcityforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=57743

carl he is running his tits off for us this season,and i know he is a proffesional footballer but you know the more the game goes on your legs dont do what you tell them to :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:24 pm

carlccfc wrote:I have read a few comments over the last couple of days about Kevin McNaughton's distribution, there is no doubt regarding his commitment to the shirt but his passing range and crosses leaves a lot to be desired, I have felt this for some years and people who sit around me are probably fed up of hearing me say it, but I notice more and more City fans are passing the same comments.

That's why he is not with a bigger club, no club has tried to sign him off us and he is not in the Scotland team.

Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:29 pm

In my opinion, hes a defender let him defend. Think it was reading at home (not playoffs) but he put in like 4 last ditch tackles which saved us getting a thrashing. Think it was reading anyway. :ayatollah:

Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:31 pm

TheHunter! wrote:In my opinion, hes a defender let him defend. Think it was reading at home (not playoffs) but he put in like 4 last ditch tackles which saved us getting a thrashing. Think it was reading anyway. :ayatollah:

These days fullbacks have to do a he'll of a lot more.

Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:21 am

in this instance, im going to have to disagree with you sorry Carl

whether or not McNaughton's distribution is particularly bad (which i dont even think it is), i think its a bit unfair to even bring it up as a concern because in every other sense of being a full back he is absolutely outstanding, there's not a right-back in the English Leagues i would swap him for and that includes Glen Johnsen, Micah Richards, Sagna, Hutton, Walker etc...

so even if his distribution was bad, in my opinion, every other ability he has would totally pale this into insignificance

i personally, don't have a single criticism about Super Kev

he is unbelievable!

Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:24 am

Chris1988 wrote:its not something im too bothered about as to be fair we shouldnt have to rely on kev for crosses into box they should be for the wingers, id much prefer kevs commitment and devensive work

exactly yeah

even if his distribution is poor...
with all the other qualities he has, does it even matter enough to bring it up?

that's just my opinion though :ayatollah:

Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:49 am

Your right. He does let himself down when he gets in that final quarter, in that
danger zone. BUT... the fact that he overlaps so often, makes himself available
so often.. it gives everyone else up there that little bit more space. So I can
forgive him. And defensively he is excellent. He can improve that part of his
game, and im sure he will under Malky :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:08 pm

I completely agree, his crossing however is getting better in my opinion. Him and Darcy give everything for the shirt but not best distrubutors. Unfortunately for Kev hes given away his fair share of goals due to a mispass.

Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:42 pm

I once had a debate on here saying everything about him is Premiership class, except his distribution which is Conference class. I think everyone disagreed with me and slated me for that comment, but I've been saying this for years. Still think he's a great defender and I love him and his silver hair.

Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:47 pm

cwmbachbluebird wrote:In my opinion he is Super Kev Full Stop. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

couldn't agree more :ayatollah:

Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:56 am

I hope we are just talking about his crossing because there are far worse culprits than Kev - Anthony Gerrard couldnt pass wind for one

Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:19 pm

OK, but not as good as the rest of his game. Could this one weakness be the reason that Hutton or Whittaker get the nod for Scotland. Also, Kev gets into the opposition area quite a lot, but rarely has a shot. Something he could work on, though.