Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

STUDENT LOANS

Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:08 pm

Hello fellow fans,

I'm unbelievably seriously considering moving to UK next year and start studying there (so far my first choices are Surrey and York). Tuition fees are going drastically up next year, and I wanted to know more about student loans, since I'll definitely need one. How many people in here have taken it and can share experiences, how does it affect life etc. I'd be really helpful, since money is the only issue for me.

Re: STUDENT LOANS

Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:55 pm

ive just finished uni and recieved the full student loan, which is your tution fee (repayable), maintenance loan (repayable) and a maintenance grant (FREE/ non repayable). these 3 things you are assessed on given your parents household income, for instance, my mum was a single parent with 1 dependable child on less than full time hours, so i was entitled to the maximum loan + grant, however my mate had both parents living at home with no dependable children and recieved less, as parents are expected to contribute.

Now, with the tuition fees rising, you should have really applied and got in this year, then deffered until next year and your fees would remain at the current price that you got accepted at, rather than the new inflated prices next year... if your able to get into uni this year, do it, but ask to defer until next year so that the fees remain at this years prices!!

none of the loan has to be repaid until you earn 'x' amount P/A, and even then it will be a minimal amount per month, maybe £20ish.

That said, I wouldnt worry about the loan too much, just get it and experience it! Uni was the best time of my life!!!!

hope this helps! :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:11 pm

Cheers mate, I have no chance of getting into uni this year :ayatollah: so I guess that loan will not make a huge difference in my life until I start working and earning solid money?

Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:23 pm

quadsas wrote:Cheers mate, I have no chance of getting into uni this year :ayatollah: so I guess that loan will not make a huge difference in my life until I start working and earning solid money?

no i think the threshold is around 15k per year wage, so i ent paying a penny back yet!

Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:41 pm

Depends what you want to study mate and if the degree will def help you get a job. I graduated in 2002 with what i consdier a practical degree and with about 10k of debt . Was it worth it in helping me to a tidy job, probably yes. If I had to pay circa 25k which I would do these days then I would say def no. Just paid off my student loan at 31.

Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:54 pm

whatever happened to working full time and going to college part time a few evinngs a week. seems crazy goimg to uni full time to study around 10 hours a week .most of my mates who are around my age .mid 40s all went to poly.it was unheard of to go to uni unless you were doing law or medicine,one day release from work and the odd evening was enough for most of the courses unis seem to be offering today.don't get yourself into debt mate ,it's like a anchor around your neck.we should not be encouraiging our youth to take on large amouts of debt as it is normal.it ain't.