A forum for all things Cardiff City

Earnie Nearly Signed for Blackpool

Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:56 am

Ian Holloway: I nearly signed Robert Earnshaw for Blackpool
by Terry Phillips, South Wales EchoSep 16 2011
Add a comment
Recommend

inShare
BLACKPOOL manager Ian Holloway has revealed he tried to sign Robert Earnshaw during the close season – and lost out to the Bluebirds.

“I genuinely thought I had him at one stage, but Cardiff outdid us,” said Holloway.

Wales international Earnshaw has scored three goals so far this season and is building a partnership with Scottish striker Kenny Miller.

Holloway admits he’s wary of the pair – and insists that if he had his way Earnshaw would be lining up in Tangerine for home team Blackpool tomorrow. “I wanted Earnshaw,” said Holloway.

“I thought he might have been coming because I genuinely thought I had him at one stage during the summer. But obviously Cardiff outdid us and he went back there, so that will make it interesting.

“Tomorrow will be tough because Cardiff have always had some good players. To be up there or thereabouts for the last three or four years is no mean achievement.

“Obviously they haven’t got Craig Bellamy this year but Kenny Miller and Earnshaw are a threat whatever happens and they always will be. So it will be interesting for all of us to see how we get on.

“It is another test, but we will keep trying to play football the right way, that is all that matters to me.”

After opening a sports hall at his old school in Bristol yesterday, Holloway is back on the training ground with his players this morning. Tomorrow marks the first meeting of the sides since the Wembley clash two years ago when Blackpool won 3-2 and claimed promotion to the Premier League at the Bluebirds’ expense.

“It will bring back some nice memories of Wembley – not that I need reminding, I will never forget that day,” said Holloway. “I’d love to have that moment again at the end of this season. but who knows.

“Let’s just see what the next few months bring and let’s enjoy the ride along the way. Tomorrow will be nothing like Wembley. It will just be one very tough game and hopefully we’ll play our usual good football and do ourselves justice.”

Holloway also admitted he tried to sign the former Blackburn, Bolton and Liverpool striker El Hadji Diouf but believes the striker has gone to Greece instead.