Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" FOOTBALL SUPPORTERS FEDERATION CONDEMNS MEDIA "

Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:17 pm

FSF condemns tabloid coverage of tragic fan death
12th September 2011

On Tuesday 6th September Wales fan Mike Dye headed off to Wembley to attend a game of football. Mike never returned home following an incident which is currently the subject of a police manslaughter investigation. The Football Supporters’ Federation would like to put on the record our condemnation of the manner in which this story was reported by certain elements in the media.

In the immediate aftermath of the tragic incident fact, myth, and rumour swirled as events rapidly unfurled. In our view a good journalist would understand this and report the story in a responsible and sensitive manner. Sadly certain tabloid journalists did not share these views and the Daily Mail, Daily Mirror, Metro, Star, and Sun all ran reports that showed a lack of respect and sensitivity to Mike Dye - a family man and father of three.

We will not dignify the reports by linking to them, suffice to say they all shared common characteristics, particularly in their unpleasant attempts to link the incident to hooliganism despite the police making no such claims. It is not just the FSF that holds these concerns – in a statement released by Cardiff City the club eloquently outlined their thoughts. They have also made a formal complaint to the Press Complaints Commission.

Cardiff City said: “It is our view that the tabloid attempts to draw tenuous connections of possible clashes between Cardiff City and Swansea City supporters at the Wales v England match come without any direct evidence or basis for doing so, using this as a means to cite ‘Rivalry fury’.

“This is something that we consider to be extremely disrespectful to both clubs and supporters following many positive steps being taken between both clubs in recent years, specifically in light of the sympathies being shared by both clubs and all supporters over this tragic incident. The club have taken this matter up with the Press Complaints Commission and will be contacting the tabloids named directly in due course.”

It is a stance that has proven very popular among Cardiff City fans. “Absolutely fantastic to see the club taking such a positive stance on this, I don’t think I have ever felt as proud of our club as I have reading that statement,” said castleblue on cardiffcityforum.co.uk.

There is more than one way to report an incident and it is important those journalists who did report responsibly are credited too. This story by the Telegraph’s Graham Clutton is a fine example – it reports the facts and highlights appeals that “rumours and whispers” be stopped. The South Wales Echo and Western Mail were also highlighted by Cardiff City fans as newspapers which did not seek to sensationalise but instead reported in a sensitive and mature manner. If you have seen other examples which you think deserve a mention let us know.

We are also pleased to say that supporters did themselves proud at Saturday’s Cardiff City v Doncaster Rovers game. Fans raised around £10,000 in a pre-game bucket collection and we know Cardiff City supporters are also very appreciative of Rovers fans’ contribution to that too. Bluebirds supporters gathered pre-match at the old Ninian Park gates to pay their respects leaving scores of shirts, flags, and floral tributes. Striker Robert Earnshaw also delivered a wreath on behalf of the club and players.

At the request of Mike Dye’s family the club also held a minute’s applause before Saturday’s Championship fixture. Wales manager Gary Speed was in attendance along with Welsh FA chief executive Jonathan Ford and club chairman Dato Chan Tien Ghee. Players from both Cardiff City and Doncaster Rovers also wore black armbands as a sign of their respect.

In a touching tribute defender Anthony Gerrard pulled off his black armband and held in aloft towards City's fans after opening the scoring for the home side. “It’s a big afternoon for the Welsh community after what happened at Wembley,” said Gerrard. “We did them proud as a team. It’s a shame Mikey could not be here, from all accounts, he was a lovely man. That goal was for Mikey and my grandad, who passed away recently.”

FSF chair Malcolm Clarke said: “This was a shocking incident and for a fan to go to a game and never return is almost unimaginable. Then, instead of being able to grieve in peace, Mike Dye’s family and friends had to watch as someone they loved was subjected to an appalling character assassination to which he could not respond. They deserve an apology. As a positive, conciliatory gesture we would also suggest the newspapers consider making a donation to Mike Dye’s funeral fund.”

RIP Mike Dye.

Re: " FOOTBALL SUPPORTERS FEDERATION CONDEMNS MEDIA "

Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:27 pm

About time Annis. And will posters on here please get of there high horse about there long standing feud with one paper and realise that several papers all ran this bullshit story. And each and every paper needs to send an apology to the Dye Family. This is not about there personal hatred for one paper that they disagree with there Politics, its about justice for Mikey Dye and his Family and many Friends.

Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:39 pm

well said Nuclear Blue could not have put it better myself, a formal and personal apology to the DYE Family and a donation to the fund would be the least they could do, Lets hope they have the balls to retract their statments and to give the apology to MIKEY's family they sure deserve. :ayatollah:

Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:41 pm

Annis, this is a timely response and the FSF are to be commended....unlike the media, of course :ayatollah:

Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:08 pm

Excellent bit but the sad thing is no matter what happens more of the general public would have seen the sick initial media than they ever will of the real story or even if the papers printed an apology (which would be tiny).

I'm just proud us fans have done mikey proud and no doubt he would be proud of us looking down.

Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:06 pm

Absolutely agree 100% , they are a bunch of tossers and choose to report how they want it to be read and consumed. I've had this stuff against me personnally and its crap. the victims simply have no voice or do their families before its spread before the masses, and boy are there some freeloaders out there!! best thing is, stick together and stay loyal to your club and your mate, dont let the pricks get to you. anymore advice is £100 per word haha THFC forever

Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:05 am

I registered complaints with the PCC regarding articles printed in the Daily Mail, The Sun, The Daily Mirror and the Telegraph Online all of which ran articles mostly saying the same things about Mikey. The Telegraph on line ran the article but only said it was reported in the Daily Mail last week that Mikey Dye etc. all the personal stuff about Mikey but nothing about inter club rivalry. To me this was just as offensive as although the Telegraph is not a tabloid they still ran the article by reporting what another papers did, spineless if you ask me.

The one thing I noticed about the reply from the PCC was it said that it was going to take the matter up, after consulting with the family, for 2 breaches of the Editors Code (Clause 1 Accuracy & Clause 5 Intrusion into grief or shock). I had complained about Clause 5 breaches but if the Mail & Sun have printed something about Mikey that isn't true well thats libel.

If that is the case I hope the family get a good ball breaking lawyer who will sue both papers because if these complaints are upheld surely the papers would be unable to defend themselves in a civil court.

I know no amount of money can compensate the family for the loss of Mikey but I for one hope the family do go forward and sue these bastards. Now that will hit them where it really hurts, in the pocket, and in my opinion they deserve a lot of pain.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:29 pm

I am convinced that the 6 welsh boys arrested and released as well as the scum newspapers saying it was a Swansea Cardiff rivalry problem. And then crucifying Mikey is a smoke screen.
Just simplify everything and look at the facts. AN AWAY SUPPORTER WENT TO WEMBLY AND WAS MURDERED! If had been an English supporter in Cardiff can you even begin to imagine what the English press would be saying. They would be screaming for Wales to be banned from International football for ever and kick out all the Welsh clubs from the football league.
Oh yes, and only a year away from the London Olympics!
:evil:

Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:33 pm

Well done FSF, glad I joined :ayatollah: :ayatollah: