Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: " WITH ALL THE PROBLEMS "

Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:10 am

Only football fans would understand this but yes we would have taken more than 800 if we were in their position, it's a case of "when your back is against the wall, you come out fighting" it becomes a different sense of support, I believe that when you are in that position, football supporters go the extra mile to support their club, no more so than ours. :ayatollah:

Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:30 am

Telling the 'plastics' to f**k off is pathetic...

They put money their well earned money into the club so they have every right to do what they want at games. Ive been a City fan since 1998 and I don't sing or cheer at the games so does that make me 'plastic'?

If it wasn't for these 'plastic fans' putting their money in, what sort of position would we see ourselves in? Especially with the problems our country has at the moment we should be lucky these 'plastic fans' bother attending.

Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:51 am

Neath Bluebird wrote:Only football fans would understand this but yes we would have taken more than 800 if we were in their position, it's a case of "when your back is against the wall, you come out fighting" it becomes a different sense of support, I believe that when you are in that position, football supporters go the extra mile to support their club, no more so than ours. :ayatollah:

Good point when Cardiff have had their backs to the wall on many,many occasion in the years gone by We have always been there for them, I for one would def be there :ayatollah:

Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:51 am

Supported City since 1969 and would be there whatever division we were in but the problem is we have been spoilt recently and expectations are now so high that some of our fans moan because we are not top of the Championship :roll:

Let's be honest if 10 years ago you had said we are going to be playing the likes of Leeds, Nottingham Forest, Middlesboro, West Ham and Leicester on a regular basis we would have all been very happy but the FA Cup and near misses in the Play Offs has brought a new breed of fan that now demands success. I would question how many of these fans would stick with us if we suffered a couple of relegations?

Once you support a Club it's for life no matter what Division you are in on the positive side i believe our hardcore of supporters has grown from 3 - 4 thousand to at least 10,000 and probably more like 12 to 14,000 which is real progress :ayatollah:

With regard 'plastics' i don't really like the term anyone who wants to come and watch City should be made welcome because we all have start somewhere :ayatollah: the real 'plastics' are the South Wales fans who 'support' Liverpool ,Man Utd, Chelsea etc instead of their local team whether it be Cardiff, Swansea, Newport or Merthyr etc :twisted:

Re: WITH ALL THE PROBLEMS

Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:23 am

Forever Blue wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:No I don't think we would for a second.

Luke, We def would if a lot of the old fans came back and we were still at Ninian Park. The new fans, the new stadium has attracted only know success and they moan at that.

Question......who are these 'old fans' that are staying away. I am an old fan and although the CCS experience is a bit sanitised, I am still there.

People should stop moaning about the newbies and get the 'oldies' to get there arses back down the city!!

Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:01 am

Barnet fan in peace here, who has always had a soft spot for Cardiff. Plymouth actually brought 438, which is still pretty good for a midweek fixture 250 miles away, although apparently didn't run a coach from there due to lack of numbers. I think they have a lot of London based fans.
As for the pubs being shut last time you came down. I think that may have been from the first fixture when we were in the league when a steward spat at Cardiff fans causing all sorts of grief. :x The following year I think we played you on a Sunday lunchtime because of the trouble (and also Cardiff smashing up Enfield a few years before, although we congratulate you on that! :lol: ). That was the year we both went up and played in front of 16000 at Ninian. We made the mistake of going 1-0 up after 9 minutes! Ooops...
Best of luck to you all!

Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:13 am

Underhill wrote:Barnet fan in peace here, who has always had a soft spot for Cardiff. Plymouth actually brought 438, which is still pretty good for a midweek fixture 250 miles away, although apparently didn't run a coach from there due to lack of numbers. I think they have a lot of London based fans.
As for the pubs being shut last time you came down. I think that may have been from the first fixture when we were in the league when a steward spat at Cardiff fans causing all sorts of grief. :x The following year I think we played you on a Sunday lunchtime because of the trouble (and also Cardiff smashing up Enfield a few years before, although we congratulate you on that! :lol: ). That was the year we both went up and played in front of 16000 at Ninian. We made the mistake of going 1-0 up after 9 minutes! Ooops...
Best of luck to you all!

Used to love the trips to Underhill as i remember we were located in a scaffolding type stand which was open to the elements and behind the stand there was f*ck all just fields :?:

Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:18 am

blueheaven wrote:Supported City since 1969 and would be there whatever division we were in but the problem is we have been spoilt recently and expectations are now so high that some of our fans moan because we are not top of the Championship :roll:

Let's be honest if 10 years ago you had said we are going to be playing the likes of Leeds, Nottingham Forest, Middlesboro, West Ham and Leicester on a regular basis we would have all been very happy but the FA Cup and near misses in the Play Offs has brought a new breed of fan that now demands success. I would question how many of these fans would stick with us if we suffered a couple of relegations?

Once you support a Club it's for life no matter what Division you are in on the positive side i believe our hardcore of supporters has grown from 3 - 4 thousand to at least 10,000 and probably more like 12 to 14,000 which is real progress :ayatollah:

With regard 'plastics' i don't really like the term anyone who wants to come and watch City should be made welcome because we all have start somewhere :ayatollah: the real 'plastics' are the South Wales fans who 'support' Liverpool ,Man Utd, Chelsea etc instead of their local team whether it be Cardiff, Swansea, Newport or Merthyr etc :twisted:

When you say for life, yes in a lot of fans mines, they mean life but when ever a club, no matter what club goes through bad years, thousands soon desert with their feet and dont return till the good times, those are the fans that I do not call Loyal fans.

Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:20 am

Blue In Cwmbran wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Luke, We def would if a lot of the old fans came back and we were still at Ninian Park. The new fans, the new stadium has attracted only know success and they moan at that.

Question......who are these 'old fans' that are staying away. I am an old fan and although the CCS experience is a bit sanitised, I am still there.

People should stop moaning about the newbies and get the 'oldies' to get there arses back down the city!!

I am still there no matter what, but I bump in to many faces away from football who say they have not been down the new ground or have tried it and they just dont like it and have not been back.

Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:25 am

Forever Blue wrote:
blueheaven wrote:Supported City since 1969 and would be there whatever division we were in but the problem is we have been spoilt recently and expectations are now so high that some of our fans moan because we are not top of the Championship :roll:

When you say for life, yes in a lot of fans mines, they mean life but when ever a club, no matter what club goes through bad years, thousands soon desert with their feet and dont return till the good times, those are the fans that I do not call Loyal fans.

Totally agree there have been many many times when i have been pissed off with City and been totally depressed and contemplated is it worth it any more but that's all part of being a City supporter and you have to experience the bad times to really appreciate the good times :old:

A Club is for life through good times and bad everyone of those Doncaster fans that turned up last week that's what i call loyal fans :ayatollah:

Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:30 am

blueheaven wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Totally agree there have been many many times when i have been pissed off with City and been totally depressed and contemplated is it worth it any more but that's all part of being a City supporter and you have to experience the bad times to really appreciate the good times :old:

A Club is for life through good times and bad everyone of those Doncaster fans that turned up last week that's what i call loyal fans :ayatollah:

Totally agree, the Donny fans who came to Cardiff and the Plymouth fans who went to Barnet, NOW THAT IS LOYALTY :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:54 am

Forever Blue wrote:
Blue In Cwmbran wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

I am still there no matter what, but I bump in to many faces away from football who say they have not been down the new ground or have tried it and they just dont like it and have not been back.

Well IMO then, they are not such great fans afterall. The team is there to be supported reagrding of seats or terraces, rain or sun, singing/no singing, chamionship/basement. It's all very good whining about "plastics" but at least they are there at the moment. The fans staying away at the moment aren't real fans IMO. It works both ways- No pint being there for the good and missing the bad- no point being there for the bad and missing the good. It's the club thats supported. Not the stadium.

Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:54 am

bobbankbandit wrote:without locking horns, ive been a season ticket holder now for 12 years, partly cos of age and partly cos ive moved to cardiff and fell in love with the city....... i hate the divide with all the talk of "plastics" .... wihout the "plastics" the new stadium would not be nearly full. would you rather a half empty stadium with die hard blue blood, or a mixture of fans who have tagged along to the excitement over the last few years with our wembley trips to see what its all about. We should welcome with open arms any new city fans without questionning loyalty and "how long youve been a fan" and "remember the good old days bollox" footballs moved on, its not just loyalty, its entertainment also and in my opinion anyone prepared to turn up on a saturday, and wear a scarf of the team i love is not a plastic. they are a fellow fan. quit the bullshit please :old:

Well said mate.

Whether we have "plastics" or not has no impact on who goes to Barnet for an evening game.

I think the real fans like us need to get the plastics involved and get them singing. We all love the City so much because we took the decision to get involved. Look at teams like Norwich and Stoke. Nearly every person in the ground sings. Different end of the spectrum in terms of aggression but the noise is the same.

Lots of excuses flying round at the moment about the ground, the stewards and the plastics but lets not kid ourselves, the only thing that makes noise is us!

I personally will encourage at least one new person to sing at every game this season.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:35 pm

Bought my 1st season ticket last year after going to the Hull game with the family - we enjoyed the game and atmosphere so much we just had to.

Again this year renewed our tickets as soon as we could as it was not really about success more to do with that we really looked forward to the games.

During the summer months we were at a loss w/o the football and made sure that our holiday abroad did not coincide with any home games.

Don't consider myself a plastic, although I am yet to travel away, we live and breathe CCFC and wonder how we used to "waste" our time by not going to the matches.

Been to every home game, for every competition so far and it will continue to do so

My boys, aged 14 and 16 now, will in 50 years time be writing on this forum(?) remembering their 1st game when their Dad took them!!

Plastic ? - once perhaps but now been re-cycled and with last a life time!!

:old: :ayatollah:

Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:02 pm

I think we would. At the moment its around 10% for mid table and lower clubs, higher for top half , local and we *****ng hate them clubs ( a lot higher if it wasn’t for unnecessary imposed restrictions) In a lower division the away supporters we have now are loyal supporters will still be here. I feel sorry for Plymouth supporters but lets learn a lesson and avoid the mess they're in. It’s a fine line between us and them and we all know it. I think this drives home the philosophy of our owners and management. A rod for life or a fish for today.
Anyway let’s talk about the logistics of moving 10000 city fans across the country to Manchester and London when we play in the Prem
:ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:50 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
typenamehere wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
LutonBluebird wrote:Credit where credits due !!
That is a bloody good following, feel for those fans cos of how far they hav to travel every other week let alone being in the situation they are in.
Let's hope they survive!!

Jules, totally agree, proper football fans, not like these plastic premiership fans :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

I think that's a bit harsh annis not all new fans are plastics, With every year comes more fans wether they're there for the team or the glory their putting asses in the seats and making the club money.

Maybe some last season were plastics came to see the 'big names' but this season are just as loyal as those ten years before them.

I agree def not all new fans are plastic, you can not say they are as loyal as 10 yrs ago, as we have had only success in the last 10 yrs.

Alot of the fans from ten years ago have left due to various reasons (Stadium lack of noise at games etc etc) and the new fans have stayed, as long as they're paying money to get in thats loyal enough for me.

Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:26 pm

Howey1927 wrote:
bobbankbandit wrote:without locking horns, ive been a season ticket holder now for 12 years, partly cos of age and partly cos ive moved to cardiff and fell in love with the city....... i hate the divide with all the talk of "plastics" .... wihout the "plastics" the new stadium would not be nearly full. would you rather a half empty stadium with die hard blue blood, or a mixture of fans who have tagged along to the excitement over the last few years with our wembley trips to see what its all about. We should welcome with open arms any new city fans without questionning loyalty and "how long youve been a fan" and "remember the good old days bollox" footballs moved on, its not just loyalty, its entertainment also and in my opinion anyone prepared to turn up on a saturday, and wear a scarf of the team i love is not a plastic. they are a fellow fan. quit the bullshit please :old:

Well said mate.

Whether we have "plastics" or not has no impact on who goes to Barnet for an evening game.

I think the real fans like us need to get the plastics involved and get them singing. We all love the City so much because we took the decision to get involved. Look at teams like Norwich and Stoke. Nearly every person in the ground sings. Different end of the spectrum in terms of aggression but the noise is the same.

Lots of excuses flying round at the moment about the ground, the stewards and the plastics but lets not kid ourselves, the only thing that makes noise is us!

I personally will encourage at least one new person to sing at every game this season.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Further to my last post, me the wife and kids join in with as many songs etc as we can but it does seem hard to generate further invlovement with the people around - we are located in the Family section of the Grandstand and I can appreciate that with the small kids that can be difficult but I cannot understand why some of the older fans just sit there.

Sometimes I do feel like standing up and trying to get them to do something but they tend to sit there and just look at us oddly as we cheer etc.

Can't wait till my boys are a bit older and we can move into the Canton stand!!

:ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:28 pm

The best days of my life were following City in the 80's and 90's but dont for a minute think what Plymouth are going through is good in any shape or form.
I work with an Argyle fan and its really desperate. They are playing 16 year olds, havent paid anyone for weeks and they could go into liquidation. They owe £20 million !!!!! And that doesnt include the stadium upgrades because they paid for them years ago!!!!
He reckons there will be no PAFC soon. Very very sad. :shock:
And the Riddler is one of only a couple getting paid. What a surprise.

Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:37 pm

typenamehere wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
typenamehere wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
That is a bloody good following, feel for those fans cos of how far they hav to travel every other week let alone being in the situation they are in.

Jules, totally agree, proper football fans, not like these plastic premiership fans :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

I think that's a bit harsh annis not all new fans are plastics, With every year comes more fans wether they're there for the team or the glory their putting asses in the seats and making the club money.

Maybe some last season were plastics came to see the 'big names' but this season are just as loyal as those ten years before them.

I agree def not all new fans are plastic, you can not say they are as loyal as 10 yrs ago, as we have had only success in the last 10 yrs.

Alot of the fans from ten years ago have left due to various reasons (Stadium lack of noise at games etc etc) and the new fans have stayed, as long as they're paying money to get in thats loyal enough for me.

LOYALTY IS IF YOU KEEP PAYING YOUR MONEY WHEN YOUR CLUB GOES THROUGH BAD TIMES, ANYONE CAN SUPPORT A WINNING TEAM, YOUR CLUB NEEDS YOU MORE THAN EVER WHEN YOUR ROCK BOTTOM. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Please answer this honestly,if we had two relegations, what would our home crowds be then ?

Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:05 pm

Totally agree, i always get confused with the mix messages of supporters. If we want to be a bigger club we need more fans than the "old regulars of NP" yet the new ground/new fans get slagged.

If people don't like the new stadium, new team and the board then are they really City fans or just football fans who like the casual scene of the 80's and 90's???

Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:10 pm

Welshpaul wrote:

Totally agree, i always get confused with the mix messages of supporters. If we want to be a bigger club we need more fans than the "old regulars of NP" yet the new ground/new fans get slagged.

If people don't like the new stadium, new team and the board then are they really City fans or just football fans who like the casual scene of the 80's and 90's???

Paul, of course we need new fans and I am friends with hundreds of new fans, I was a new fan once, I am only asking how many would support the City old and new, if a club goes through bad times.

Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:23 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Welshpaul wrote:

Paul, of course we need new fans and I am friends with hundreds of new fans, I was a new fan once, I am only asking how many would support the City old and new, if a club goes through bad times.

only the diehards Annis and hopefully new fans who have got the bug.

thats football today, arsenal are now having tickets on general sale which since wenger took over was unheard off.

Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:37 pm

Welsh Paul

thats football today, arsenal are now having tickets on general sale which since wenger took over was unheard off.

Paul
You have stunned me with the news about Arsenal fans, there was a massive waiting list for the last few years.

Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:37 pm

Welsh Paul

Paul
You have stunned me with the news about Arsenal fans, there was a massive waiting list for the last few years.

Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:57 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
typenamehere wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
typenamehere wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

LOYALTY IS IF YOU KEEP PAYING YOUR MONEY WHEN YOUR CLUB GOES THROUGH BAD TIMES, ANYONE CAN SUPPORT A WINNING TEAM, YOUR CLUB NEEDS YOU MORE THAN EVER WHEN YOUR ROCK BOTTOM. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Please answer this honestly,if we had two relegations, what would our home crowds be then ?

some would stay some would go, if it happens we'll come to that but I don't see Cardiff going anywhere near league one let alone anywhere below with the current structure and malky in charge.

Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:03 pm

Yeh mate,

Swansea and Bolton home went to general sale and they were/are normal 3pm saturday kick offs.

It mirrors us as you have said, highbury and NP were the diehards and CCS and Emirates needed for additional revenue. Trouble is a lot of those new fans are attracted to football as entertainment so no success no attendance.

The worry is the boards are dictated by revenue streams so that is why up until this season Wenger was safe as the Emirates stayed full but not know so Wenger will come under pressure.

As a City fan i welcome the 'glory' fan as its coffers in the club but as this post has said wouldn't back the majority being there when chips are down.

As long as the 'plastics' come at least we're doing well, panic when the 'plastics' have gone!!!!

Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:25 am

I thought all clubs had to sell match day tickets ?

Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:38 am

Forever Blue wrote:
MillarFromTheHalfWayLine wrote:I remember going to Barnet in the mid to late 90's and we must have had 2000+ there, filled that scaffold stand thing with no roof and had fans in a section of the terrace to the right of us.

The police closed all the pubs aswell, City always had a good following at the London Clubs, Brentford, Leyton Orient etc. :ayatollah:

A lot of those fans don't go anymore and feel they have been forgotten.

i'l hold my hands up that i don't go that much these days
wouldn't miss a trip to london tho brentford was my fav :ayatollah:

Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:00 pm

carlccfc wrote:That Plymouth Argyle are facing of the pitch and on it with results, I notice that last night they lost to Barnet 2-0 but they still managed to take an away following of 800 fans and the fans applauded the team off the pitch at the end of the game despite the defeat, fair play to them.

Would City take 800 fans away if we dropped down to League 2 as quickly as Plymouth did ?

Hard to tell Carl, I remember being in Huddersfield's old ground in the late 80's 1 coach load that was all that were there and we sung our hearts out and we were still kept in over 20 mins after the final whistle!