Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

GB football team???

Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:50 pm

Who wants one now? Who would benefit/profit from one??

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballna ... -29368491/

Re: GB football team???

Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:57 pm

I have no intersest in this team

Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:55 am

Im all for it. We, as 'Great Britian' are hosting the biggest sporting event in the world, so we should have competitors representing in every single event.
Fifa have already stated that welsh, scotish n NIrish FA's wont be affected, enabling players to represent Britian in this tournament.
I say good luck to rambo n bale and any other youngsters who wish to put their names forward. lets face it, they'll never win anything playing for wales.

Being a passionate fan of cardiff city and wales, I also have a general love of football. I watch it whenever there is a game on for the pure fact that it is a half decent footie match. So therefore I will be supporting GB in the olympics, and every other olympics after :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:58 am

Great idea, hope it happens and means there will be an event at the Olympics I give a shit about :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:19 am

Personally I wish the Welsh FA would co-operate with Team GB for the London 2012 Olympics as it can only benefit our players as they will gain invaluable experience of a World Class Football tournament.

I have always thought it should come down to what the players wanted and not the National Associations.

Good on Ramsey and Bale if they do play

Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:21 am

Its a waste of time and a joking competition only reason we are having a joking team made up mainly of under 23's and old men as guests (like Beckham) is to try to sell tickets in the least supported event in the event...we have not entered a team for 40 years and will never enter another team..apart from the risk of losing the Welsh, Scottish, Irish and England individual teams in the future once this precedent has been set it is a farce...will Rooney play? Will Gerard play...of course not....it will not be the very best British team...just a team to generate ticket sales...football has major tournaments like the World cup and the Euros which are taking place next summer.

Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:24 am

I would support a team GB, but other than that I hope its a total farce, we win f#@k all medals and the whole place falls down. Britains Olympics built by Europeans.

Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:35 am

bluecityblue wrote:I would support a team GB, but other than that I hope its a total farce, we win f#@k all medals and the whole place falls down. Britains Olympics built by Europeans.

Sorry to put a negative spin on your thread Rick, if GB enter a team Wales should be part of it.

Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:41 am

corky wrote:apart from the risk of losing the Welsh, Scottish, Irish and England individual teams in the future once this precedent has been set it is a farce...will Rooney play? Will Gerard play...of course not....it will not be the very best British team...just a team to generate ticket sales...football has major tournaments like the World cup and the Euros which are taking place next summer.

I thought FIFA & possibly UEFA had given their assurances, that none of the home nations would be forced to have to play as one team, in any other competition? :?

I can't see any reason why they would want to force them to amalgamate in any case, as this would only make competition less easy for other competing nations, as a GB team would surely be a more difficult proposition to play against, than 4 countries competing separately!

Persoanally, I think there's too much paranoia going around about this particular subject and if players want to compete in the Olympics as a GB team, which we've competed at in this identity for decades, then I can't see why they shouldn't be allowed to do so! :ayatollah:

Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:57 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:Personally I wish the Welsh FA would co-operate with Team GB for the London 2012 Olympics as it can only benefit our players as they will gain invaluable experience of a World Class Football tournament.

I have always thought it should come down to what the players wanted and not the National Associations.

have you ever watched olympic football?

Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:26 pm

I think the Welsh FA has already said that they don't wont a Welsh player in that team and it could result in a ban from the Welsh team. Im not 100% sure of this but I thought I had heard or seen it some where. If that the case and they do play knowing what could happen then I would say they have turned there back on Wales.

Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:11 pm

welshcitydragon wrote:I think the Welsh FA has already said that they don't wont a Welsh player in that team and it could result in a ban from the Welsh team. Im not 100% sure of this but I thought I had heard or seen it some where. If that the case and they do play knowing what could happen then I would say they have turned there back on Wales.

What because players want to play for their nations?

Bale has already said he's got to play if selected.

Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:06 pm

I thought FIFA & possibly UEFA had given their assurances, that none of the home nations would be forced to have to play as one team, in any other competition?

You trust them? I can't think of anyone I could trust less.

Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:11 pm

Once a Blue Always a Blue wrote:Im all for it. We, as 'Great Britian' are hosting the biggest sporting event in the world, so we should have competitors representing in every single event.
Fifa have already stated that welsh, scotish n NIrish FA's wont be affected, enabling players to represent Britian in this tournament.
I say good luck to rambo n bale and any other youngsters who wish to put their names forward. lets face it, they'll never win anything playing for wales.

Being a passionate fan of cardiff city and wales, I also have a general love of football. I watch it whenever there is a game on for the pure fact that it is a half decent footie match. So therefore I will be supporting GB in the olympics, and every other olympics after :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

If FIFA have already stated that, why then are they unwilling to put that down in a legally binding document then?

Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:16 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
I thought FIFA & possibly UEFA had given their assurances, that none of the home nations would be forced to have to play as one team, in any other competition?

We all have to have trust and faith in somebody at some time in our lives and as I said before, I can't see what the governing bodies have to gain, by making 4 countries amalgamate!

As I also said before, I think that most people's fears with this topic, is based on a bit of paranoia!

Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:24 pm

Overthemoon wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:

We all have to have trust and faith in somebody at some time in our lives and as I said before, I can't see what the governing bodies have to gain, by making 4 countries amalgamate!

As I also said before, I think that most people's fears with this topic, is based on a bit of paranoia!

England, funnily enough, aren't popular.
Plenty of nations unhappy us, Scotland etc have seats in a position of "power".

No, nothing to be gained there whatsoever...

EDIT: And again, since FIFA are so honest and trustworthy, why have they refused to put the claimed position in writing in a legally binding document, as requested?

Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:32 pm

As I said, a bit of paranoia! :) :ayatollah:

Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:03 am

I personally feel it would be unfair if our boys (who play there or there about's in top flight football) get to miss out on actually playing in a worth while international tournament. Lets be honest....they may never get the chance again. However that's from the players perspective, my perspective is slightly more bitter! I hate that the FA decided they are running the team without any permission from the F.A.W, which to me is just yet another 'we are English, WE ARE the UK' type of action/comment Iv'e seen all too many times.

HEAD....YES
HEART....f**k OFF YOU BUNCH OF PRICKS.

Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:09 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:Personally I wish the Welsh FA would co-operate with Team GB for the London 2012 Olympics as it can only benefit our players as they will gain invaluable experience of a World Class Football tournament.

only 3 would get into the team, and all play top flight football anyway. I think they may put a few around the edges to make the selection look less bias. IF!... its happens that is.

Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:55 am

It should be up to the players! The chance of winning a Olympic Gold Medal will be tempting for Bale & Rambo.

Didnt Messi & Tevez play in the last games?