Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

FIRST BUS I EVER BOOKED FOR AN AWAY TRIP

Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:38 pm

Was Blackpool away, possibly in 1969 when I was 14, it was the game when Barrie Jones broke his leg. I booked a fifteen seater min bus and driver and we left around 6 am on the day leaving Blackpool at midnight for the return.
In those days Blackpool's end was known as the spion kop and was huge.

We must have taken around 4,000 plus up there and it was mental, after the game I can just remember thousands of City fans walking up and down the front and every pier, there were more out walking around than stuck in pubs which compared to now appears strange, I think a trip to Blackpool them days was more like a mini holiday, with all of us walking around pointing at the illuminations like a load of moths.

I vaguely remember getting pissed on a flagon of lite ale (about two pints,lol) and having the best steak and kidney pudding chips and gravy ever.

The journey home was a nightmare, can't remember how many motorways there were them days, but it took fecking ages, anyway services were few and far between and as we approached Monmouth at around 5 am our driver said he was just about out of petrol and in his wisdom said because every where was shut and wouldn't be open until at least 9am, we should just pull over try and have a kip, and find a petrol station in the morning, rather than breakdown in the middle of nowhere.

Well he was the only adult on the bus, so what were we going to say. We sat in a lay bye for 4 hours, with about half an hour of that kipping. At 9am, the driver set off, we must have only gone half a mile and we come across a garage that was open 24 hours a day, oh my God, frustrating or what, but a memory that will stay with me forever.

Happy days,

Re: FIRST BUS I EVER BOOKED FOR AN AWAY TRIP

Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:47 pm

Loved the rams, got me interested in going away. Annis bus is the closest thing to those special trips.... And that was even with dai taxi doing ours :lol:

Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:11 pm

chesterfield was a good un gwyn :D

Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:37 pm

all my trips to blackpool are one big blur :lol:

Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:51 pm

used to go away alot when i was younger with supporters club, chesterfield was my first.

first NON supporters trip, i was met at malpas by a bloke in a cap hanging out the window driving a minibus, shouting ''JUMP IN YA WELSH b*stard, COS I AINT f*cking STOPPING FOR NO c**t'' :lol:

cheers jock, terrified me! started singing rangers songs, and he pulled over in hard shoulder, and told us to walk :lol: