Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Bothroyd done nothing tonight

Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:21 pm

Very ineffective - can see him being subbed off soon.

Re: Bothroyd done nothing tonight

Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:39 pm

....called it....

:ayatollah:

Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:55 pm

I think the lack of responses to your thread kinda says it all mate. :oops:

He chased, made space, won headers & got in great positions to score.

Granted the goal didn't come tonight that's football but I've seen enough of Jay under Neil Warnock to see he will be a big asset to us.

Let go of the sour grapes mate & give a bit of credit when its due.

Nothing wrong with being humble now & again.

Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:02 pm

No disrespect to JB, & no, i didn't watch the game, but i think Jay is going to struggle in the Premiership, when he plays.
I hope he proves me wrong.

Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:06 pm

Stan-QPR wrote:I think the lack of responses to your thread kinda says it all mate. :oops:

Granted the goal didn't come tonight that's football but I've seen enough of Jay under Neil Warnock to see he will be a big asset to us.

Stan, My honest opinion Jay is not good enough for the Premier league and if you start to struggle, Jay will go missing.

Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:10 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Stan-QPR wrote:I think the lack of responses to your thread kinda says it all mate. :oops:

Stan, My honest opinion Jay is not good enough for the Premier league and if you start to struggle, Jay will go missing.

i dont think its a case of struggling more of a case of when he thinks hes bigger and better than QPR then he will stop trying
Cardiff didnt notice it last season as it is a different level of football he will get found out at this level especially when he loses heart

Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:15 pm

2 things though Annis.

1) Jay was not brought in to be a goalscorer. Of course any goals that come are more than needed but he is the classic front man playing the 'foil' his physical presence is immense & although you lads say he doesn't win headers he won a damn lot of headers tonight. I would of liked to have seen him play alongside DJ Campbell as both their games would compliment each other massively.

2) Jay has never had a man manager like Neil Warnock & that's why I have so much faith in him to succeed because Warnock will settle for nothing less than 110% effort every single game.

He could of very easily bagged a brace tonight & I'd of expected to come on here & read how good he looked & how much you all miss him.

That's how fickle we are as football fans.

Very pleased with him tonight. Gave 2 excellent Premiership defenders in Collocini & S Taylor a real tough nights work.

Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:20 pm

Stan-QPR wrote:2 things though Annis.

1) Jay was not brought in to be a goalscorer. Of course any goals that come are more than needed but he is the classic front man playing the 'foil' his physical presence is immense & although you lads say he doesn't win headers he won a damn lot of headers tonight. I would of liked to have seen him play alongside DJ Campbell as both their games would compliment each other massively.

2) Jay has never had a man manager like Neil Warnock & that's why I have so much faith in him to succeed because Warnock will settle for nothing less than 110% effort every single game.

He could of very easily bagged a brace tonight & I'd of expected to come on here & read how good he looked & how much you all miss him.

That's how fickle we are as football fans.

Very pleased with him tonight. Gave 2 excellent Premiership defenders in Collocini & S Taylor a real tough nights work.

Stan,

All the Cardiff players use to tell me Jay was without doubt our classiest player we had, But would only perform 50% of the time and was very lazy and would go missing when things were not going right, BUT ON HIS DAY HE WAS CLASS.

Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:22 pm

Thought he was good tonight, bit quiet in the 2nd half, but so were most of the others from QPR as Newcastle just went man for man and closed the game out. Was a bit unlucky tonight another game he could have got a brace.

Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:24 pm

No problem with his ability to win the ball in the air, but you'll find that when things aren't going well, he'll sulk a lot and go down to easily. :)

Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:28 pm

RICK+CCFC wrote:No disrespect to JB, & no, i didn't watch the game, but i think Jay is going to struggle in the Premiership, when he plays.

I really hope he proves me wrong aswell, we all know he's much better than that :ayatollah:

Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:32 pm

rhys1927ccfc wrote:
RICK+CCFC wrote:No disrespect to JB, & no, i didn't watch the game, but i think Jay is going to struggle in the Premiership, when he plays.

I really hope he proves me wrong aswell, we all know he's much better than that :ayatollah:

At the end of the day, potential - minus commitment = equals; nothing!

Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:40 pm

What game do some people watch?

I thought Jay looked the pefect foil for SWP and Taarabt. He gave Collocini and Taylor a very good battle in the air, and showed for a big guy, that he has pace and very good feet.

He had a header off the line (where he did very well to beat S.Taylor to the ball). Yes Jay should have knocked the volley in, but we know he isnt exactly a natural finisher. He has just as much chance of curling in a classy 20 yarder than knocking a 8 yard volley in, he's not a natural goalscorer we know that.

He worked hard tonight, didnt look out of place and was the focal point of every QPR move where they wanted to move the ball direct from back to front. The fans appreciation when he was subbed summed up a good performance.

Like Stan says he will be an asset. Im not expecting double figure goals though, but he will perform well for QPR.

His attitude can let him down on times, but so can a lot of players.

Sadly, Jay was the best player we have lost in a long time. Its just sour grapes when our fans slate him, there is no loyalty in football anymore and we cant expect it.

For free, a good bit of business by QPR. We should just move on and concentrate on the players we have here!

Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:46 pm

I agree with the last part CCFCBULL, its just a pity, Jay could have done a lot more for Cardiff City FC, & if he had, maybe he would still be playing for us now? Such is life!

Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:52 pm

thought he did well tonight personally but if QPR get involved in a relegation dogfight which to be honest i cant see because theyve got a good team , Jay will sulk and drop his workrate and also become disruptive in the dressing room,warnock is an excellent manager of course but hes no miracle worker and jay will eventually show his true colours

Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:58 pm

RICK+CCFC wrote:I agree with the last part CCFCBULL, its just a pity, Jay could have done a lot more for Cardiff City FC, & if he had, maybe he would still be playing for us now? Such is life!

Exactly mate. Im not 100% certain Jay would have stayed even if we went up. London is his home I guess, his gf lives there, his kid etc etc. For me he always had his eye on a move to the likes of QPR, Fulham with big wages and he got it. It was his decision.

We were good to Jay and in a way he was good in return as here was the only club he got his head down and didnt do anything silly in the main. Sad in the end, it all turned a bit sour and he left on a low note.

But that is life. We now have Earnie (who for me, has done the job so far), Miller (Not impressed so far, but could turn that around), and Gestede (raw as they come, but given time could be a diamond of a find, he could be a similar replacement to Bothroyd in a year or two) and got to mention Parkin (who is proven to be tidy enough backup at this level given the correct platform).

So its not all doom and gloom, if we can get an exciting couple of loans in, who knows we may make the top 6 without the likes of Jay, Chopra, Bellamy.

Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:01 pm

excellent posts ccfcbull :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

if jay proves me wrong fair play to him i guess

Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:06 pm

CCFCBULL wrote:What game do some people watch?

I thought Jay looked the pefect foil for SWP and Taarabt. He gave Collocini and Taylor a very good battle in the air, and showed for a big guy, that he has pace and very good feet.

He had a header off the line (where he did very well to beat S.Taylor to the ball). Yes Jay should have knocked the volley in, but we know he isnt exactly a natural finisher. He has just as much chance of curling in a classy 20 yarder than knocking a 8 yard volley in, he's not a natural goalscorer we know that.

He worked hard tonight, didnt look out of place and was the focal point of every QPR move where they wanted to move the ball direct from back to front. The fans appreciation when he was subbed summed up a good performance.

Like Stan says he will be an asset. Im not expecting double figure goals though, but he will perform well for QPR.

His attitude can let him down on times, but so can a lot of players.

Sadly, Jay was the best player we have lost in a long time. Its just sour grapes when our fans slate him, there is no loyalty in football anymore and we cant expect it.

For free, a good bit of business by QPR. We should just move on and concentrate on the players we have here!

Top post mate.

Anyone who slagged him off tonight imo need to go to specsavers.

Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:19 am

Jay is big, skilful, fast. But lacks commitment, end of.

Its where he WILL fall flat at this level.

When shit gets major he will disappear, once he takes a couple of clumps
he will drift out of the game, blame everyone else and lie down.

As for Warnock motivating him?? I suspect Warnock is the last type of manager
he needs. Jones used to babysit him, Warnock will kick his arse, Jay dont like
having his arse kicked.

Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:39 am

Thought he played well. Unlucky not to score himself, held the ball up with great control to allow the midfield to push up and passed well all night. Wish he was with us Earnie and Miller would thrive off him. :ayatollah:

Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:55 am

I thought QPR played really well last night and if any team deserved to win it was QPR but having said that I thought Newcastle defended really well. In fairness if I was Alan Pardew I would rather have Jay in my team than either Ameobi or Best who where in my opinion below PL standard last night.

Jay played his part in a good QPR performance and with a little bit of luck would have scored a couple from SWP crosses, sadly for Jay one was just behind him and the other just in front of him. On another night he would score both but IMO he was the QPR player who the longer the game went on became less and less effective and for me NW should have pulled him off a bit earlier.

The challenge for Jay is that NW has put together a squad of experienced PL players all of whom are stronger characters than Jay who we all know needs lots of hugs and kisses and sorry Stan NW is not a manager with a track record for doing that.

I also think Stan that Alan Curbishley, Tony Pulis and Mick McCarthy are all established PL managers who don't exactly struggling to motivate and develop their players but each gave up on Jay. In my opinion Jay best chance this season is with the quality of player NW has assembled at QPR rather than NW who in my opinion will drop him like a bad habit when he starts to sulk and he will.

Not a bitch I promise you because I thought Jay was great for us, until the going got tough, and then he would disappear without trace.

Anyway good luck for the season Stan. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:24 am

Stan, What i saw of the game i thought Bothroyd done well, won his fair share of headers and seemed to put himself around more than he did for us :( He also showed a good first touch and awareness of the Players around him i for one wish him well with QPR and hope that he scores a hat trick against the Jacks home and away :D

Also on last nights performance as long has you can find some goals QPR should have no problems staying up and hopefully with 2 or 3 quality loan players we might join you next season :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:29 pm

castleblue wrote:I thought QPR played really well last night and if any team deserved to win it was QPR but having said that I thought Newcastle defended really well. In fairness if I was Alan Pardew I would rather have Jay in my team than either Ameobi or Best who where in my opinion below PL standard last night.

Jay played his part in a good QPR performance and with a little bit of luck would have scored a couple from SWP crosses, sadly for Jay one was just behind him and the other just in front of him. On another night he would score both but IMO he was the QPR player who the longer the game went on became less and less effective and for me NW should have pulled him off a bit earlier.

The challenge for Jay is that NW has put together a squad of experienced PL players all of whom are stronger characters than Jay who we all know needs lots of hugs and kisses and sorry Stan NW is not a manager with a track record for doing that.

I also think Stan that Alan Curbishley, Tony Pulis and Mick McCarthy are all established PL managers who don't exactly struggling to motivate and develop their players but each gave up on Jay. In my opinion Jay best chance this season is with the quality of player NW has assembled at QPR rather than NW who in my opinion will drop him like a bad habit when he starts to sulk and he will.

Not a bitch I promise you because I thought Jay was great for us, until the going got tough, and then he would disappear without trace.

Anyway good luck for the season Stan. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Top post as usual mate.

Couple of points I feel I should counter you with though if I may.

Regarding Jay needing a bit of love from his gaffer you said

'sorry Stan NW is not a manager with a track record for doing that'

I agree from an outsiders view NW comes across as a hard nosed old school manager who is ruthless (which he is all of) BUT what must be remembered is that he has also mellowed a lot in recent years & his handling of Adel Taarabt last season was absolutley outstanding & was imho one of the biggest factors in us winning the championship. Adel is like a kid, stroppy, attitude, arrogant (on the pitch most certainly not off of it) sulky & unpredictable, he asks to come off, he wants to take all the set pieces & thinks every game is the Adel Taarabt show but despite all this Warnock had an arm around him at all times, gave him freedom, gave him responsibility, gave him advice, confidence & knowledge & in the end we had the player of the season who also chipped in with 19 goals & 22 assists not bad management that mate if you ask me!

Warnock will know exactly how to handle Jay & giving examples of Pulis, Mick McCarthy etc is a little unfair as Jay will be the first to admit in his younger years his attitude was 'suspect' shall we say. He knows what is expected of him & as far as I'm concerned he has a top man manager rooting for him. If he sulks as you guys say he will Warnock will deal with it, if it means Jay being dropped so be it that would go for any player in the Premier League.

When I got home from the game the other night I watched it back again on Sky+ & I was massively imressed with Jay as I was at the game also. His hold up play, strength & desire were first class. Finishing was poor granted but he was never brought in to be a target man but merely a foil for the more attacking players we have.

Jay knows at his age now is the time to shine & in my humble opinion he's at the right club with the right manager & team mates to make that happen.

Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:42 pm

Jay on a free is a no brainer and an excellent signing.

If you judge him just on goals your ignoring 99% of the good work he did at city.

Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:43 pm

bothroyd aint a premiership player, he be caught out some time :roll:

Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:46 pm

ninianblue wrote:bothroyd aint a premiership player, he be caught out some time :roll:

Not worth a risk on a free? Bargain I think

Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:48 pm

ninianblue wrote:bothroyd aint a premiership player, he be caught out some time :roll:

Sorry to break the news mate but I think you will find Jay is very much a Premier league player playing in the PREMIERSHIP in England :lol:

2blue2handle-exactly mate. Has many top qualities & scoring has never been one of his strongest. Still fancy him to get at least 8 this season personally.