Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: A VERY LONG JAIL SENTENCE SURELY ?

Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:40 pm

Phantom Of The Chopra wrote:I think we are arguing now for the sake of it to be honest of course these are cases of people that could of been hung but never but that also begs the question that there are people who should be hung but have not? E.g rapists where they hav dna evidence that they in fact commited the crime? Science is way far more advanced nowadays to let something like this happen again? These examples were at least 10 years old but Me and you are never going you agree on this so i dont see the point in carrying this on but surely we can both agree if the judical system was stricter this country wouldnt be in the state its in now?

Totally agree that the judicial system in this country is totally fucked up and needs a total overalling .. but never would agree to the death penalty to be honest.. but that is my own personal opinion.

But back to the thread.. as I previously said I hope this individual or individuals involved in this heinous crime gets their just desserts and Mr Dye's loved ones get Justice...!![/quote]
Now that last bit is something we can definatly agree on! :ayatollah:

Re: " A VERY LONG JAIL SENTENCE SURELY ? "

Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:58 pm

Midfield general wrote:With the introduction of DNA these days I would be very happy to bring back the death penalty because unlike what the namby-pamby liberals say in this world with DNA there's less chance of people being banged up if their aren't guilty for these kinda crimes.

Also I don't have the figures but surely it will cost the taxpayer far less to kill someone off rather than let them rot in a cell for many, many years and at the same time free up some prison space.

Thats what i mean how much money do you think taxpayers have gave to people like suttcliffe,huntly,ian brady(is he still alive) and we know these people are guilty they have even admitted it themselves and with the dna they wont get it wrong i remember reading that someone murdered someone then a few years later broke into a house he stood on a chair they traced his shoe and found the guy then matched his prints to something that happened years ago its crazy they can not get it wrong and it makese even more sick when these noorious serial killers go to jail and get protection te same as those two kids that beat that poor little kid i think his name was james bulger he was only about 3 i think to death with bricks a few years ago then when they got out had new identities given to them then 1 of them got arrested again for child molestation the criminals have more protection than the victims now! Its sickening

Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:26 am

I don't think you can compare this case with anything that happened at Chelsea. What happened at Chelsea was mass disorder with an element of pre-planning. Or at least that is probably how the court viewed it. If the bloke arrested has a clever barrister, he can use several reasons of mitigation. He was just walking past, he was started on and he used self-defence. Anything along these lines. The fact that it's manslaughter and not murder is not really surprising though. It would be unbelievably difficult to prove murder and, as has been said previously on here, he could only get 3 or 4 years, depending on his character, previopus good character, previous convictions, etc. It's wrong, but unfortunately it's a fact of life in ths country in this day and age

Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:16 am

ihatealiens wrote:In England and Wales manslaughter has a "discretionary" life sentence, as opposed to the mandatory one for murder. This means the judge's discretion is used. He could impose any sentence at all, from an unconditional discharge, which means a conviction is recorded but no punishment given, right up to life imprisonment, or even a fine.

Manslaughter covers such a wide range of offences with different levels of fault that there is no simple answer as to length of sentence.

That is correct.

However, from what little we know (as pointed out in Carl's OP) this thug made his way into a section where opposing fans were and vicously attacked Mikey Dye.

In other words the 'intent' to cause physical harm was there so IMO there is definatley a Prima facie of the more serious Voluntary Manslaughter charge to answer.

If found guilty of VM along with the mitigating circumstances of being at a football match (a public gathering) I can see this thug getting at least 10 years, though admittedly that is still far too short.

Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:27 am

Midfield general wrote:With the introduction of DNA these days I would be very happy to bring back the death penalty because unlike what the namby-pamby liberals say in this world with DNA there's less chance of people being banged up if their aren't guilty for these kinda crimes.

Also I don't have the figures but surely it will cost the taxpayer far less to kill someone off rather than let them rot in a cell for many, many years and at the same time free up some prison space.

We live in a civilised society and if the individual cannot kill, then neither should the state be allowed to in our name.

The DNA argument is a strong one, but it still comes down to trusting the Police with such evidence.

Think about it, they (the Police) would then have the power to plant DNA evidence on anyone they wanted killed off. You might be comfortable with that, but I'm certainly not.

Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:24 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
ihatealiens wrote:In England and Wales manslaughter has a "discretionary" life sentence, as opposed to the mandatory one for murder. This means the judge's discretion is used. He could impose any sentence at all, from an unconditional discharge, which means a conviction is recorded but no punishment given, right up to life imprisonment, or even a fine.

Manslaughter covers such a wide range of offences with different levels of fault that there is no simple answer as to length of sentence.

That is correct.

However, from what little we know (as pointed out in Carl's OP) this thug made his way into a section where opposing fans were and vicously attacked Mikey Dye.

In other words the 'intent' to cause physical harm was there so IMO there is definatley a Prima facie of the more serious Voluntary Manslaughter charge to answer.

If found guilty of VM along with the mitigating circumstances of being at a football match (a public gathering) I can see this thug getting at least 10 years, though admittedly that is still far too short.

Your spot on ther Tony I agree with you. Was he the only one involved though because I read this morning that 3 more men? have been arrested.

Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:46 am

Nottage Blue wrote:I don't think you can compare this case with anything that happened at Chelsea. What happened at Chelsea was mass disorder with an element of pre-planning. Or at least that is probably how the court viewed it. If the bloke arrested has a clever barrister, he can use several reasons of mitigation. He was just walking past, he was started on and he used self-defence. Anything along these lines. The fact that it's manslaughter and not murder is not really surprising though. It would be unbelievably difficult to prove murder and, as has been said previously on here, he could only get 3 or 4 years, depending on his character, previopus good character, previous convictions, etc. It's wrong, but unfortunately it's a fact of life in ths country in this day and age

Self defence :o :o :o sorry non starter Chief he hit Mokey from behind so that can't be in any way self defence. If Mikey was walking the other way he could not of been acting in an aggressive manor to him.

Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:50 am

Nottage Blue wrote:I don't think you can compare this case with anything that happened at Chelsea. What happened at Chelsea was mass disorder with an element of pre-planning. Or at least that is probably how the court viewed it. If the bloke arrested has a clever barrister, he can use several reasons of mitigation. He was just walking past, he was started on and he used self-defence. Anything along these lines. The fact that it's manslaughter and not murder is not really surprising though. It would be unbelievably difficult to prove murder and, as has been said previously on here, he could only get 3 or 4 years, depending on his character, previopus good character, previous convictions, etc. It's wrong, but unfortunately it's a fact of life in ths country in this day and age

I agree it is almost impossible to prove Murder and being honest the guy probably didn't intend to kill Mikey just give him a good football like pasting so he could brag about it later, therefore Manslaughter is the correct charge.

However, if the reports that he inflicted a brutal head injury to the back of the head are true, even a clever Barrister would have a difficult time getting the Jury to believe the self-defence bollocks.

Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:43 pm

I agree it is almost impossible to prove Murder and being honest the guy probably didn't intend to kill Mikey just give him a good football like pasting so he could brag about it later, therefore Manslaughter is the correct charge.

However, if the reports that he inflicted a brutal head injury to the back of the head are true, even a clever Barrister would have a difficult time getting the Jury to believe the self-defence bollocks.

I wrote that before I heard it was self-defence, so I stand corrected on that one. But the problem with this case is that, as someone else has pointed out, everytime you throw a punch at football it could be deemed attempted murder. I have no doubt that the bloke who did this expected a good scrap and probably didn't expect, or want, the horror of what actually happened

Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:46 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:However, from what little we know (as pointed out in Carl's OP) this thug made his way into a section where opposing fans were and vicously attacked Mikey Dye.

Do we actually know that this is a fact or was he walking past the turnstile, saw Mikey (maybe they've had run-ins in the past?) and took his opportunity to attack him? I'm sorry if the answer to this has been posted but I haven't read the other few dozen threads on this properly

Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:24 pm

I known Mikey since i wa 14 years old and want justice for his memory and his family.... reality is tho this guy charged could have his case thrown out, depends on what witnesses the police have and of course what the guys claims was said between himself and mikey..... he could get life but i wud bet that doesnt happen....... depending on the edvience and if found quilty he will get between 4 - 7 years imo (and a life banning order).

what concerns me tbh is away fans making a joke of his death...... i know there has been alot of genuine fans sending their best wishes etc and thats awesome to see but again reality is WE KNOW SOMEWHERE AT SOMETIME we are going to get chants that will make us sick........

RIP Mikey x

Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:10 pm

We live in a civilised society and if the individual cannot kill, then neither should the state be allowed to in our name.

The DNA argument is a strong one, but it still comes down to trusting the Police with such evidence.

Think about it, they (the Police) would then have the power to plant DNA evidence on anyone they wanted killed off. You might be comfortable with that, but I'm certainly not.

Great post Tony :ayatollah:

Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:45 pm

Nottage Blue wrote:I wrote that before I heard it was self-defence, so I stand corrected on that one. But the problem with this case is that, as someone else has pointed out, everytime you throw a punch at football it could be deemed attempted murder. I have no doubt that the bloke who did this expected a good scrap and probably didn't expect, or want, the horror of what actually happened

IMO opinion I think the offender on this occasion knew VERY WELL he wasn't going to get a scrap back! If he approached him from behind, then I wiould probably assume that he did this with stealth and speed! There was no commotion and poor Mikey was on the deck head first before he could blink. The offender would have been making a good run up behind Mikey whilst preparing to swing for him, therefor he must have had the knowledge that Mikey would have sustained some serious damage with the amount of force he was being hit with..... I personally would assume he would have hit the deck with some force, and if reports that Mikey went down head first to the ground are true, then he certainly set out to badly injure him, knowing that there would be no self defense or fight back from the victim.

this man deserves the highest of all sentences for such a charge. Absolute disgrace to the human race and a danger to the public.

Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:56 pm

The point James made was agood one if a person knew who threw a punch knew that he may kill someone and then he will be hung electricuted then it may not have happened so I tend to agree with the death penalty if you take a life then why should u have yours. Poor Mikey's family for the rest of their lives will feel pain and suffer the loss of their husband father etc then that person who caused that should suffer too.

Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:40 pm

I agree with most comments, this piece of scum deserves nothing but a life sentence in my opinion but as its been said in previous posts the law courts are not consistant where the english supporters are concerned had it been a cardiff fan well we all know things would be so different and the press would have a field day.
Mikeys family deserve justice and lets hope that they do get. This low life will still have a life after 2 years maybe a bit more in jail but there grief will be with them forever !!!