Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Match report Cardiff v Doncaster 10 Sept 2011 "

Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:47 am

I’ve met Mikey Dye a couple of times at away games. To me he represented the old school guy that became a popular character amongst us. Like our club over the last couple of decades Mikey had moved along with it. Cardiff City is now a family club, Mikey was a family man, Cardiff City is becoming a popular club amongst the community, Mikey was a popular guy amongst us all. To me Mikey represented the Cardiff of old and the Cardiff of new. He is my type of guy, top guy, and he will be greatly missed amongst us all.

I will always remember the condolences left for Mikey at the Gate. In respect to him the gate was closed. Flags, shirts and flowers were placed there and you could hear the continual sound of pennies being dropped into the buckets. The forum shirt that hung on the gate had struggled to get everyone user name on it but they were all there. I noticed a Swansea shirt and that was just great to see amongst all the other shirts.

I walked away from Mikeys gate and tried to think of the game. If we were to come away with three points the pride would be there but the joy would not. Lose, it did not matter. That was how I was feeling.

As I took my seat in the stadium it felt to me it is important that the game gets off to an explosive start mainly to change the solemn feelings. With the news of Brendan Rodgers father dying and coupling that with the terrific support we have received from the Jacks over the last few days it added to the feelings. The players of Cardiff and Doncaster had their jobs cut out.

Malki put out the familiar line up of Marshall in goal with McNaughton, Gerrard, Hudson and Taylor in defence. In midfield ere Cowie, Conway, Whittingham and Blake while upfront saw Earnshaw and Miller. After the disappointing lost to Brighton this team had responded well with two well earned draws on the road. This team should have enough to overcome a Doncaster that finds itself at the bottom of the table and still ravaged by injuries.

The game got off to the explosive start that was needed. As Cardiff attacked the goal in front of the family stand the Doncaster keeper failed to hold onto a whipped in low cross from the left. He fumbled the ball with Earnshaw ready to pounce. Our legendary striker had to adjust himself quickly and only managed to make the ball hit the post.

The next attack from the same side of the pitch saw another low cross make its way across the Donny area. With Earnshaw ready to collect this forced a panic amongst the away defence and an outstretched leg prevented the ball reaching Earnshaw. However the interception left the Donny goalkeeper stranded but fortunately for the visitors the ball crept to the safe side of the other post.
After these 2 scares the visitors finally settled down and started to pass the ball around like they are customary to doing. They certainly were here to give it a go and it was them that created the next best chance. The Doncaster side although comfortable with the ball in midfield struggled to break down the Cardiff backline. This forced them to have a go at goal from outside the area. On the 15th minute mark they finally had their chance and from a 20 yard low shot Marshall was forced to palm a low shot away to his right for a corner.
The game was about 50/50 at this stage with both teams exploiting each sides left flanks. Some Kumbaya winger for Donny was becoming a handful for Taylor while Conway and McNaughton were enjoying their time down the Donny left. From one of these moves down that side Miller found himself all alone some 15 yards out, being forced to react quickly though he could only blast his shot over the bar.

The next chance fell to the Kumbaya winger who seemed to dance his way through the Cardiff defence that for once was split open. However under pressure from Hudson he could only slice his shot wide. Moments later the visitors crafted another chance from a direct kick for their keeper that found s one of their strikers in place. However he snatched at his chance and volley wide.

The rest of the half saw some nice passing from each team without any real rewards on goal. The half ended with no goals scored.

The second half started of very much like the first. Earnshaw found himself with only the keeper to beat but from a tight angle. Somehow the keeper got a touch to his shot and the ball went away for a corner. From the resulting corner Hudson had a clear header on goal but could only direct it straight to the keeper.

Doncaster were nearly gifted a goal when a harmless pass though the middle of the park saw Gerrard hesitate. A Donny striker was soon onto this and this forced Marshall to come out of his area and clear the ball to safety.

It was not long though before Cardiff took the lead. From a throw in deep inside the Donny half the visitors gave away a silly foul. From the free kick Whittingham sent in one of his quality crosses that made it difficult to defend against yet dangerous for the keeper to collect. Gerrard racing in from the penalty spot met the ball about five yards out with a diving header. The ball flew into the net leaving the Rovers keeper with no chance. Gerrard celebrated by taking his armband off and raising it to the Canton Stand indicating this goal was dedicated to Mikey.

Doncaster responded to this setback by taking the game to Cardiff. They committed more players up front leaving them exposed at the back. Cardiff game plan then was to catch them on the break. However it was the Donny that went close to scoring during this time. They worked the ball well down their left right and from a low cross that beat the Cardiff defence they failed to get a foot to the ball that would have given them their equalisier.

The Donny midfield started to put some quality crosses into the Cardiff area but they must be the only team in the league that have a smaller attack force than us. Hudson and Gerrard easily handled this arial attack.

As the game entered the last 20 minutes Cardiff started to control it a lot more. The fitness level that Malki has installed into the team is starting to show against some of the clubs. It was only a question of time before the second goal came along.

With 15 minutes to go a mix up from the Donny defence left a surprised Whittingham with a chance about 10 yards out. His quick reaction shot was blocked but the ball came back out to him. This time he saw a free Earnshaw to his left and rolled the ball to him. Earnshaw with only to the keeper to beat slotted the ball easily into the net.

The final chance of the game fell to the visitors as they were awarded a free kick just outside the Cardiff area. The Kumbaya winger took the free kick and sent the ball high over the wall and also over the bar. By now the Donny give it a go attitude had run its course and Cardiff saw out the game 2-0 winners.

Summing up. The win certainly damped the solemn feelings. A hard fought win against difficult circumstances. Perhaps the perfect ending to a sad week if there can be one. Let us forget the result, the events of the day were all for Mikey Dye. Finally our love and thoughts go to Mikey family. Now let us all move on and leave our fellow Bluebird to rest in peace.

Re: Match report Cardiff v Doncaster 10 Sept 2011

Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:54 am

Excellent read, cheers buddy :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: " Match report Cardiff v Doncaster 10 Sept 2011 "

Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:00 am

Ian, A Superb Read and very emotional :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

RIP Mikey Dye

Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:41 pm

Cheers Ian, great read. Very emotional day yesterday. :ayatollah:

Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:09 pm

GREAT READ MATE :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:38 pm

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:39 pm

cheers Ian :ayatollah:

Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:29 pm

Thanks for the report Ian, was still on my holiday over the weekend so it was good to read your report. Catch up with you soon mate :ayatollah:

Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:04 am

Once again Thanks Ian, Really appreciated :ayatollah: :ayatollah: