Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Ninian Halt..is it still in use ?

Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:13 pm

Ninian Halt..is it still in use on match day ?

I caught the train from Radyr today as in previous years, and got off at Ninian, as in previous years. But we understood that the station would not allow passengers to get on a train AFTER the match.

So after the match we walked the much greater distance to Grangetown station instead.

I seem to remember that the reason for the temporary closure of Ninian on macth days was because of overcrowding.

Yet the first train to stop at Grangetown only had 2 carriages and people were crammed on in exactly the same way as they would have been at Ninian.

Will the Powers be reviewing their closure of Ninian decision as it clearly does not benefit the passengers in any way ?

Re: Ninian Halt..is it still in use ?

Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:22 pm

Why would you often catch a train from Radyr if you live in Barry to Ninian Park station ? :?

I live one station away in Llandaff North by Danescourt train station ( 2 min walk for me ), and it no longer stops for me on a saturday matchday, but does stop there through the week.

Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:30 pm

i live in llandaff and get the train from danescourt, it stops at ninian as usual before the game, but doesnt after, but we walked to grangetown and a train to central, but they cancelled the city line back to radyr from central for the 5:30 train, but there normal service resumed on the next train at 6

Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:40 pm

Strange that, it dosen't stop for me but it does for you ? Think the original poster is going to confused as much as I am here. I would check out Arriva trains mate as it no longer stops when I take the train.

I will see what I can find out for you.

Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:05 am

Details were in today's programme, basically, trains will call at Ninian Park station as normal, prior to kick off [Monday - Sat] however, trains will not stop at Ninian Park station for one hour after a game. Grangetown station is your only option for a train during that one hour window AFTER a game.

Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:07 am

RICK+CCFC wrote:Details were in today's programme, basically, trains will call at Ninian Park station as normal, prior to kick off [Monday - Sat] however, trains will not stop at Ninian Park station for one hour after a game. Grangetown station is your only option for a train during that one hour window AFTER a game.

^^ Now that makes more sense.

Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:21 am

RICK+CCFC wrote:Details were in today's programme, basically, trains will call at Ninian Park station as normal, prior to kick off [Monday - Sat] however, trains will not stop at Ninian Park station for one hour after a game. Grangetown station is your only option for a train during tha one hour window AFTER a game.

Spot on! At least someone is talking sense!

Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:10 pm

RICK+CCFC wrote:Details were in today's programme, basically, trains will call at Ninian Park station as normal, prior to kick off [Monday - Sat] however, trains will not stop at Ninian Park station for one hour after a game. Grangetown station is your only option for a train during that one hour window AFTER a game.

That's what I said !!!! And the train did stop at Danescourt at 2.10pm on Saturday.

I still can't see the reasoning behind the new procedure....it just inconveniences the passengers..most of whom have just spent 2 hours pushing and shoving in a sports stadium only to be told it is not comfortable for them to push and shove on a train. :roll:

And who said I live in Barry ? !! :shock:

Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:24 am

barry boy wrote:

That's what I said !!!! And the train did stop at Danescourt at 2.10pm on Saturday.

I still can't see the reasoning behind the new procedure....it just inconveniences the passengers..most of whom have just spent 2 hours pushing and shoving in a sports stadium only to be told it is not comfortable for them to push and shove on a train. :roll:

The simple reason for this new procedure is because the train services after a City home game were "rammed", causing safety problems & delays.

Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:26 pm

RICK+CCFC wrote:
barry boy wrote:

The simple reason for this new procedure is because the train services after a City home game were "rammed", causing safety problems & delays.

Maybe the should service the demand rather than close the station that would appear to be for the ground in the first place???? At least Arriva are in line with our TOC's - they are all clueless.

Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:07 am

RICK+CCFC wrote:
barry boy wrote:

I rammed myself and my kids on to the train after each game and at no time was my safety (or comfort) compromised. The train chugs along only for 4 stops....by stop 2 many people are sitting....and the boys from the valleys are singing !!!!!...and they still have another train to catch at Radyr.

We will miss the snow ball fights in the winter with the opposing platforms fighting it out across the track.

Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:09 am

The other problem was the hundreds of non paying passengers, who used Ninian Park as a free taxi service.
My simple solution to this problem would be to use crowd control personnel at the station itself on a match day, similar to the controls used at Central station during events at the Millenium. This would reduce the risk of ticket less persons trying to use the service just for a free bee from A to B.

Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:17 am

RICK+CCFC wrote:The other problem was the hundreds of non paying passengers, who used Ninian Park as a free taxi service.
My simple solution to this problem would be to use crowd control personnel at the station itself on a match day, similar to the controls used at Central station during events at the Millenium. This would reduce the risk of ticket less persons trying to use the service just for a free bee from A to B.

http://www.arrivatrainswales.co.uk/Temp ... ageid=2876

Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:41 am

I don't understand the decision to stop trains after the game.

If the demand is there from fans to use the train (& pay money for the service) then why don't Arriva trains just put on another carriage so it's not rammed?

The demand should be a positive thing for the trains company not a hindrance.

Saying that, the walk from Grangetown station isn't far. Might be different in the rain though.

:D

Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:05 pm

NickPenarth wrote:I don't understand the decision to stop trains after the game.

If the demand is there from fans to use the train (& pay money for the service) then why don't Arriva trains just put on another carriage so it's not rammed?

Saying that, the walk from Grangetown station isn't far. Might be different in the rain though.

They can only operate two car sets between NP & Radyr on the City line due to the length of the platforms of Waun-Gron park, Fairwater, & Danescourt.

Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:55 pm

RICK+CCFC wrote:
NickPenarth wrote:I don't understand the decision to stop trains after the game.

They can only operate two car sets between NP & Radyr on the City line due to the length of the platforms of Waun-Gron park, Fairwater, & Danescourt.

Surely for an hour or two they could enlist local door working as to manage the numbers at busy stations? Or run a shuttle from NP to Central for an hour after games?

Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:06 pm

Bring back British Rail and Football specials please.
I'm too young to have enjoyed most of it although too old to have missed BR completely.

Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:10 pm

RICK+CCFC wrote:The other problem was the hundreds of non paying passengers, who used Ninian Park as a free taxi service.

Yes it has been free for a most passengers but only because no one sells any tickets....presumably because there are too many people on the train.

What a missed opportunity for Arriva to make money !! What other business would get rid of a golden egg becuase they couldn't collect the fares ? The customers are there, they have the money - why not collect it ?

Simple solution is to sell tickets at the top of the slopes at the entrance....

The games usually end at about 4.55 and most people arrive in dribs and drabs (not in one big group) are at the station by 10 past 5. It should be simple to funnel people into a queue - perhaps have a flat £2 fare so no change needed.

That is for the train to Radyr, the train going the other way leaves even later.

Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:20 pm

Hit the nail on the head bb. The one hour post game train "suspension" [assuming a 3pm kick off] will affect the 17.10 & 17.40 [Radyr] & the 17.15 & 17.45 [Coryton] for services to Cardiff Central. These are the "peak" services after a match that, with crowd control, i believe could be managed & revenue could be optimised.