Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

MALKY: HARD FOUGHT AND EARNED

Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:32 pm

http://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/page/New ... 02,00.html

Malky Mackay on Saturday evening was satisfied with the shift put in from his players, knocking back any suggestions of a comfortable win following a tough game against a resilient Doncaster Rovers.

Of the game at Cardiff City Stadium he said, "It wasn't a comfortable result in my view; it was hard fought and hard won. You have to respect every team that comes here and I definitely respect Doncaster because every point you earn in this league comes only if you put in a hard graft. From there you can kick on if you've got good players who can do things to open teams up. That's what we did in the second half.

In the first half we hit the post in the first minute and we also had two great chances in the first minute of the second half. I'm pleased that we started both halves well as you can be caught cold in games and it can then take you time to get back into it when you're goals down. I'm delighted that we did that and I'm delighted that we picked up the pace in the second half. In the end it looked as if we could have gone on for another fifteen minutes."

Malky also praised the impact of his substitutes and is happy to see more bodies available for selection on a match-day.

"We've been really thin on the ground and had to play the same eleven or twelve in the last couple of weeks," he said. "But we've been able to get Filip Kiss and Aron Gunnarsson backinto the squad. Stephen McPhail is also working his way back into the squad and I have to say that I thought all three substitutes came on and really affected the game. Gunnarsson, Kiss and Gestede all did that and that's what they're there for. For that the plaudits need to go to my medical and sports science staff because of the way they prepare them and bring them back to me."

Re: MALKY: HARD FOUGHT AND EARNED

Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:19 pm

I have to agree that it was hard earned and not too enjoyable to watch.

However, I lost count of the amount of times over the last few seasons when teams who were bottom of the table on a lengthy run of defeats, and have come to either Ninian or CCS and won.

There used to be an almost arrogant " we just need to turn up to win" mentality against the lower teams that fortunately no longer seems to be there.

Didn't play well but ground out a result. I'll settle for that.

Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:21 pm

davids wrote:I have to agree that it was hard earned and not too enjoyable to watch.

However, I lost count of the amount of times over the last few seasons when teams who were bottom of the table on a lengthy run of defeats, and have come to either Ninian or CCS and won.

There used to be an almost arrogant " we just need to turn up to win" mentality against the lower teams that fortunately no longer seems to be there.

Didn't play well but ground out a result. I'll settle for that.

funny enough i thought the same this morning donny aint won in ages and normally that type of team always does us over and goes on a crazy run.

Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:26 pm

i honestly believe under jones wed have lost 1-0 today, to play poorly but win and keep a clean sheet shows we really are on our way to achieving our goal of promotion