Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Idea for Saturday

Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:33 pm

Shall we take lots of signs saying things like "Don't buy the Sun" to the Doncaster game and hold them up in the minute of silence? I am already planning mine. It would be an incredible picture for anyone against the sun. The club should put one on every chair like they did for the flags in the FA Cup final :ayatollah:

Re: Idea for Saturday

Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:32 pm

Good idea mate!

Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:36 pm

I think we shouldn't let the sun spoil saturday.It should be about a tribute to mikey and that it I think holding these signs up will just create more exposure for the paper.Its descusting what they wrote and a boycott campain can and should be done but lets forget about them for saturday and give him a good send off :ayatollah:

Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:39 pm

gknighty89 wrote:I think we shouldn't let the sun spoil saturday.It should be about a tribute to mikey and that it I think holding these signs up will just create more exposure for the paper.Its descusting what they wrote and a boycott campain can and should be done but lets forget about them for saturday and give him a good send off :ayatollah:

Spot on mate, best way to protest is with your wallet and to stop buying the paper.

If people in Cardiff boycott the paper, that's a second major city where The Sun have lost revenue.

I think it would also be difficult for the club to endorse this campaign due to business ethics... Not sure if it would be legal for the club to encourage us to not buy a paper.

Personally I haven't bought the Sun since they wrote a load of shit about our fans after the trouble at the Leeds game.

Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:00 am

see Protest against the sun at tomorrows match topic - any ideas?

Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:16 am

How about THE SUN IS SCUM ?

Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:20 am

No signs as will be seen as "good advertising" for them

Just don't buy the rag - I never have - and complain thru the channels available

:ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:22 am

No point in signs as thats just publicity for the sun. No such thing as bad publicity!! Like others said, the only way to hurt them is in the wallett!!

During the silence on Sat are we gonna start singing "only one mikey dye" as IMO having 20,000 singing his name at a place that meant a lot to him is a fitting tribute. Of course his family and friends decide and we will follow their wishes.

Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:33 am

BluebirdForever wrote:Shall we take lots of signs saying things like "Don't buy the Sun" to the Doncaster game and hold them up in the minute of silence? I am already planning mine. It would be an incredible picture for anyone against the sun. The club should put one on every chair like they did for the flags in the FA Cup final :ayatollah:

Sorry, I think this is a terrible idea.

I don't want to sound harsh, but the club aren't going to go for this for one second, I'm afraid. They need to keep up a media-friendly relationship and the sun is Britain's best selling newspaper, whether we like it or not. It's down to fans like us to do something about this but I have no better ideas than any of the excellent ones suggested on here.

I believe tomorrow should be about honouring Mikey's memory and not protesting about a newspaper

Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:37 am

If there is a minutes silence before the start of the game then everyone should respect it, no singing, no chanting, no banners about not buying the Sun.

Everyone must remember the minutes silence is a show of respect for Mikey and we absolutely must remain dignified throughout. When the referee signals the end of the minutes silence it wouldn't surprise me if there was some form of spontaneous vocal support for Mikey and his family.

But please everyone respect the minutes silence remember Mikeys family may be there show them respect and dignity at this time of terrible loss. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:45 am

I would think it better to clap for Mikey and shout his name all around the ground.