Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Would you consider dropping both our Centerbacks ?

Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:11 am

Would anyone consider dropping both our centerbacks ?
None have really shone this year as of yet,
Id really consider playing Darcy after putting Rooney in his pocket last night, alongside new signing Ben Turner (if fit)
Whats everyones thoughts ? im guessing a lot will disagree with me

Re: Would you consider dropping both our Centerbacks ?

Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:15 am

No.

One swallow doesnt make a summer.

Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:15 am

Double G wrote:Would anyone consider dropping both our centerbacks ?
None have really shone this year as of yet,
Id really consider playing Darcy after putting Rooney in his pocket last night, alongside new signing Ben Turner (if fit)
Whats everyones thoughts ? im guessing a lot will disagree with me

darcy was very good last night... the last time i saw him at centre back he was also pretty good.. and for the under 21's when he out classed agbonlahor..

difficult one this.. although he does seem to be better suited to cb rather than midfield.. it certainly does give mm some food for thought...

Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:23 am

I don't see why not. Maybe the Leicester game will be a good time to try it....

Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:37 am

We were talking about this in the pub last night.

After a performance like that Darcy has to be given the nod. He was outstanding.

I guess some stability is required and I'm guessing Turner will be given a little time to settle so it's Darcy and Hudson for me.

Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:52 am

darcys problem in the past was his inconsistency which has rightfully in my opinion cost him a starting place at cardiff but totally agree he looked superb last night,malky should start him against leicester in the carling cup

Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:59 am

I've always said Darcy was a good player but people disagreed with me.

Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:25 am

I've said for years darcy should be our cb the criticism he gets from our own fans is terrible... He was our best player in the run up to playoff final defeat to Blackpool and he's a good player. Always gives 100% :ayatollah:

Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:28 am

I think when he plays full back, Darcy gets exposed. However, at centre back rarely has he had a bad game. He's more consistent than most of our centre backs so I'd start him and Hudson next game.

Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:43 am

I’ve said before, I think Darcy would make a very good sweeper and although he lacks a little bit of height, so did Gary Mabbutt of Spurs and England, who was the same 5’ 10” as Darcy!

The problem is that when Darcy played at CB 2 seasons ago, when we went on that very good run, he played alongside Gerrard, who also played well during that period as well! When Hudson came back, it all went to ratshit!

Darcy and Hudson have never played well together before, as Hudson gets Darcy to pick up the centre forward and drops off himself to pick up, which doesn’t work, especially when Darcy has to mark somebody like Steve Howard, who is 6’ 3”! This wouldn’t be a problem if Darcy was the one dropping off though, as we’d be able to utilise his speed better!

If Darcy was allowed to control the defence, with Hudson or AN Other playing in front of him, then I think we’d have a very good defence and one with a bit more pace! This would clearly put Hudson's nose out of joint though and I don't think that it would work so well either!

Personally, I’d give Turner and Darcy a run out together and if that fails, then Turner and Gerrard! This isn’t because I think Hudson is crap, but merely because he lacks pace and I feel that he cannot play an out and out CB role consistently enough! :ayatollah:

Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:45 am

DARCY :shock:

Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:53 am

Always had a soft spot for Darcy, i think if he had put that goal away last season against the 'jacks', it surely would have been one of the 'Goals' of the season.. Hope he now gose on a consistent run. :ayatollah:

Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:57 am

has to be Hudson and Turner for me

Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:48 am

scott_w_ccfc wrote:has to be Hudson and Turner for me

Yep.

The case for Darcy seems to be he played well last night, and in a few games at the end of the season before last.

Hudson was Mr Consistent last season and our best defender by some distance so why should he get dropped?

Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:20 pm

I thought the main reason why Darcy Blake didnt play more was because Dave Jones is a tw*t? Plays brilliantly when he puts on a red shirt but DJ always preferred players like Gerrard who couldnt pass wind.

Hopefully Mackay has given him a clean sheet and will give him a chance.

Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:40 pm

polo wrote:
scott_w_ccfc wrote:has to be Hudson and Turner for me

Yep.

The case for Darcy seems to be he played well last night, and in a few games at the end of the season before last.

Hudson was Mr Consistent last season and our best defender by some distance so why should he get dropped?

i would hardly call him mr consistent, the first half of last season he had quite a few shockers. but i do think hudson and blake, untill ben turner is settled atleast

Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:11 pm

Overthemoon wrote:I’ve said before, I think Darcy would make a very good sweeper and although he lacks a little bit of height, so did Gary Mabbutt of Spurs and England, who was the same 5’ 10” as Darcy!

The problem is that when Darcy played at CB 2 seasons ago, when we went on that very good run, he played alongside Gerrard, who also played well during that period as well! When Hudson came back, it all went to ratshit!

Darcy and Hudson have never played well together before, as Hudson gets Darcy to pick up the centre forward and drops off himself to pick up, which doesn’t work, especially when Darcy has to mark somebody like Steve Howard, who is 6’ 3”! This wouldn’t be a problem if Darcy was the one dropping off though, as we’d be able to utilise his speed better!

If Darcy was allowed to control the defence, with Hudson or AN Other playing in front of him, then I think we’d have a very good defence and one with a bit more pace! This would clearly put Hudson's nose out of joint though and I don't think that it would work so well either!

Personally, I’d give Turner and Darcy a run out together and if that fails, then Turner and Gerrard! This isn’t because I think Hudson is crap, but merely because he lacks pace and I feel that he cannot play an out and out CB role consistently enough! :ayatollah:

I've explained the Steve Howard situation before so I can't be bothered to do it again. People just don't want to listen it seems.

Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:25 pm

Hudson and turner.

Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:33 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Hudson and turner.

I'd go with that, yeah.

Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:23 pm

Hudson and Blake for me, thought he was phenomenal last night. Failing that, I'd like to see him play the holding midfield role, should Gunnarsson every be unavailable...

Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:30 pm

Darcy was outstanding last night. One for the future.

Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:38 pm

FACT
Seen Darcy play many times at CB, particularly with Gerrard season before last.

And never seen him have a bad game in that position, he was outstanding last night. Come on MM give him the nod next to Huds or Gerrard.
:ayatollah: