Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

loft insulation and cavity wall grants.are they really free

Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:17 pm

Has anybody had one of those grants that are around for loft insulation and/or cavity wall insulation.i have had phone calls and literature from my power supplier offering a free grant for insulation.i am cynical and believe that once they turn up they will look into the loft,scratch their chins and tell me it will actually cost me 200 pounds or more.anyone had any experience of these grants ?

Re: loft insulation and cavity wall grants.are they really free

Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:43 pm

yes they are.

I work for scottish and southern energy and i have many calls during the day about this.

If you contact your energy supplier they will set it up for you as every companies have been told to set aside around 60mil each in order to help customers reduce there costs.

If you rent the property from a housing agent or council then they will be the people that set it up for you.

Also it doesnt matter if you rent private as you still contact your supplier and the landlord will need to sign the papers with you inorder to get the work done & all landlords are more than happy to have this done to there property free of charge. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:31 pm

Yes they are , but dont fall for the cheap electric offered by the solar panel companies going around , bib big rip off effectively leasing your roof for 25 years some of them :shock:

Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:41 pm

Had my house done, the loft and wall cavity £100 the lot bargain :old:

Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:04 pm

loft and cavity free for british gas customers

Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:40 pm

Thanks.so it's not totally free then ?

Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:29 pm

i had this done but it cost me £300 for scaffolding over my garage which is not covered by the grant

Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:10 pm

You normally have to pay a small percentage of the total cost It's only free if you are on certain benefits or you are over 70 years old. I'm paying a total of £247 which covers the loft and the cavity wall. Hope this is of some help to you.

Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:39 pm

thanks

Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:47 pm

Had our walls insulated last July, £147. Loft already done. About six houses in our street have had cwi done recently.

Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:21 pm

Had mine done completely free, loft insulated to 200mm insulation, they stated insulation was up to requirements so did not need to be done

Dont know if this is correct, but it could be because of my age, you have te over 60 I believe