Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Welsh Football Resurgence?

Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:39 am

Not only the fact we played really well last Friday and beat a team ranked in the top 20 in the world, but his comments/review of the games under his leadership to date in the post match interviews reflect he talks alot of sense.

He has a style of play & management, and he's sticking to it. This creates an environment and culture that ensures the whole squad can move forward in unison, and will help to create a culture of a 'Welsh style of play' that sets a precedent for all future managerial appointments, and eventually cascaded through to grassroots level if applied consistently.

Welsh football has been in desperate need of an identity and a defined yardstick for almost a generation now, and if you accompany Speed's work to date with some of the developments off the pitch such as a new young Chief Exec, moving the games to our club grounds and the introduction of the 'Barry Horns' etc ( :D ), there signs of a real resurgence in Welsh football with genuine substance.

Yes of course, there still appears to be huge obstacles of historical ignorance still operating within the FAW. However the injection of genuinely talented youth we now have at all levels on the playing field and off the pitch indicate we are now entering a bright new era for Welsh football, as the dragon prepares to breathe fire again.

Tonights game is a huge test, but after Friday we're more than equiped to do ourselves justice and start to put real pride back in the jersey. The resurgence has started...the upcoming World Cup Qualifiers could certainly be interesting.

Re: Welsh Football Resurgence?

Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:41 am

In the opening part of my post I'm obviously referring to Gary Speed...I'm a dick sometimes! :lol:

Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:08 am

I like your optomism pal, we shall see how our young squad is developing by the performance they put in tonight.

I expect the likes of Bale and Ramsey to star tonight.

Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:23 am

To be honest Welsh international football has been an embarrasment over the last few years, being ranked alongside teams like the Faroe Islands makes us a laughing stock amongst other teams supporters and rightly so.
Players dropping out and the one's coming in seemingly not putting the effort in has been the norm for too long, one swallow doesn't make a summer as one win doesn't mean we're now a team to be respected.
I will save my judgement after we've played a few more matches to see if anything looks like it may be changing for the better. At the moment I still think we're pretty dire.

Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:40 am

It was only a win. It could've been a fluke, hope I'm wrong though. :ayatollah:

Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:44 am

Bridgend_bluebird wrote:It was only a win. It could've been a fluke, hope I'm wrong though. :ayatollah:

It wasn't, though. For periods of the game we showed we were a team with real quality of possession, and created some good chances.

I believe we'll lose against England tonight, but I'm hoping it doesn't disturb any good moral the camp has due to the win over Montenegro.

Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:01 pm

I've just felt our style of play under Speed has been more positive and I'm happy with how things are going. We'll probably get dicked tonight but do you think we ever would have beaten Montenegro at home under Toshack? I didn't even mind Toshack either!

It's a long road to recovery after almost a decade of decline and it could take 10-15 years before we are back to competing again but Friday was a massive boost and even if we get hammered tonight we have exceeded our expectations for these two games. I just want a performance tonight. We'll miss Vaughan and Bellamy big time but we have 9 other players who played on Friday who can repeat their performances. Nothing to lose tonight and I'm just glad to see positivity around the country again regarding football. It's been a long time coming.

Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:09 pm

Bridgend_bluebird wrote:It was only a win. It could've been a fluke, hope I'm wrong though. :ayatollah:

Yes it was only a win, but it was no fluke. Montenegro were quite poor really but they are ranked in the top 20 FIFA rankings !

Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:13 pm

CF64 BLUE wrote:To be honest Welsh international football has been an embarrasment over the last few years, being ranked alongside teams like the Faroe Islands makes us a laughing stock amongst other teams supporters and rightly so.
Players dropping out and the one's coming in seemingly not putting the effort in has been the norm for too long, one swallow doesn't make a summer as one win doesn't mean we're now a team to be respected.
I will save my judgement after we've played a few more matches to see if anything looks like it may be changing for the better. At the moment I still think we're pretty dire.

Don't tell me you're another one who actually takes the rankings seriously ? :shock:

Yes players dropping out was a real problem, but a problem that has now been solved. Or are you too negative to realise it ?

Still pretty dire ? We're still a bit away from where we and Speed want us to be, but it'll come, I'm confident of that !

Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:28 pm

A REAL performance against England tonight is far more important than the win on Friday i believe and people/press will start to change their tune again about us. I know we only lost by 2-0 last time around but the performance was majorly lacking and after the 2 goals i pretty much up and left at HT and met my mates at walkabout - the team and atmosphere was so pathetic it was worth sitting and watching.

A true perofrmance or determination, passion, pride and grit tonight will really bed some future for us.