Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Why do our friends in the north hate us so much??

Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:51 pm

Had a text off my very good Coventry City mate who is having a short break with the family in North Wales. He asked me why was it that whenever he went into a shop they turned his back on him and spoke in Welsh and ignored the fact that he was there, I texted him back and told him that its because he's english, end of. He then texts me another day to say that he was in a pub and was chatting to some locals about footy and he mentioned that he has a good friend who's a city Cardiff City supporter and how he always looks out for our results and he loves coming to Cardiff and having a laugh, their response was " why do you support those english wankers"!!, i thought the resentment towards us in the south didnt exist any longer, how wrong i was.
I then got thinking, what is the reason behind this, i think that it may have something to do with Cardiff in the south being their capital which they still want Machynlleth to be the capital, and also does it boil down to the fact that they are being governed from the south. I dont know. any ideas, im confused, Im welsh and proud, but to be called english cos we live in south wales is another matter. :?:

Re: Why do our friends in the north hate us so much??

Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:53 pm

Welcome to the board, to be honest, I never knew Wrexham had that much of a hatred towards Cardiff. Ahwell thats another team that hates us on the list. :D

Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:59 pm

Thank you. The thing is, he wasnt talking to wrexham in particular, that was just the general view of the people he talked to!

Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:00 pm

f*cking gogs :lol:

Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:14 pm

when we were in dublin we were singing with some lads who supported prestatyn town and they statered abusing us coz city play in the english league. to say they made thomas fish seem intelligient would be an understatement :ayatollah:

Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:22 pm

a horse with no name wrote:when we were in dublin we were singing with some lads who supported prestatyn town and they statered abusing us coz city play in the english league. to say they made thomas fish seem intelligient would be an understatement :ayatollah:

And fishy is from Merthyr mun. :lol:

Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:35 pm

Bridgend_bluebird wrote:Welcome to the board, to be honest, I never knew Wrexham had that much of a hatred towards Cardiff. Ahwell thats another team that hates us on the list. :D

he's refering to the welsh speakers in north wales. don't think theres not many welsh speakers in wrexham, infact they sound like scousers.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:36 pm

murphy wrote:
Bridgend_bluebird wrote:Welcome to the board, to be honest, I never knew Wrexham had that much of a hatred towards Cardiff. Ahwell thats another team that hates us on the list. :D

he's refering to the welsh speakers in north wales. don't think theres not many welsh speakers in wrexham, infact they sound like scousers.

Ah right, well perhaps cause the money is in the South (even though it doesn't look like it), especially Cardiff, hence it being the capital.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:38 pm

murphy wrote:

Met plenty of Wrexham fans and other North Walians at Wales games before. Got on with them great. Don't see a problem really.

A lot like us because we er... 'take it to the English' - don't know what they mean by that mind :lol:

Don't forget the loyal City fans from Holyhead :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:39 pm

Obviously there are still a few stuck in the stone-age up here!
One people, one nation, and a proud one with Cardiff as our capital city! More and more are starting to support the Bluebirds up here. :ayatollah:
Thousands go over the border to support English teams every week from up here and they can't see anything wrong with that!!!

Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:18 pm

witchfinder wrote:Had a text off my very good Coventry City mate who is having a short break with the family in North Wales. He asked me why was it that whenever he went into a shop they turned his back on him and spoke in Welsh and ignored the fact that he was there, I texted him back and told him that its because he's english, end of. He then texts me another day to say that he was in a pub and was chatting to some locals about footy and he mentioned that he has a good friend who's a city Cardiff City supporter and how he always looks out for our results and he loves coming to Cardiff and having a laugh, their response was " why do you support those english wankers"!!, i thought the resentment towards us in the south didnt exist any longer, how wrong i was.
I then got thinking, what is the reason behind this, i think that it may have something to do with Cardiff in the south being their capital which they still want Machynlleth to be the capital, and also does it boil down to the fact that they are being governed from the south. I dont know. any ideas, im confused, Im welsh and proud, but to be called english cos we live in south wales is another matter. :?:

I think you'll find it's the same as the English North-South divide.
There will always be an "us and them" no matter where you're from.

North-South
East-West
Blue-White
AAMB-CCMB :D

Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:30 pm

I don't think it's that much of a problem to be honest, my dads family is from north Wales and all speak Welsh and I've spent a fair bit of time there.

Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:52 pm

I've met some lovely people from North Wales however I have also met some stuck up people from North Wales who are very envious of the South. They have this self righteous attitude that speaking Welsh is interlinked with how genuinely Welsh you are, which is bollocks. It's also funny how when they are speaking English they have a Scouse twang!

Like I said though, I've met just as many tidy North Welsh people so I don't think it's a general attitude.

Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:13 pm

Oh no they don't I have followed Wales all over the north and mid Wales fans admire us for our loyalty to Wales they complain to me (the ones I speak to and know)how so many of the north walians support Liverpool man u everton wolves villa and not Wrexham so in essence it all depends who you speak too
[quote][/quote]

Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:44 pm

It could be isolated but who knows. But most fans love us just before we play them so we leave them in one piece :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:03 pm

Never had a problem with people from the north, what came first the Scouse accent or the North Wales accent? don't forget Liverpool was populated by thousands of Welsh and Irish, I have spoken to people from the border areas who were Welsh speakers, just because they have a Scouse sounding accent doesn't make them any less Welsh, same applies to the monoglot English speakers from the South, I am English speaking but am passionate about being Welsh; and promote Wales whenever I am abroad.

Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:44 pm

witchfinder wrote:Had a text off my very good Coventry City mate who is having a short break with the family in North Wales. He asked me why was it that whenever he went into a shop they turned his back on him and spoke in Welsh and ignored the fact that he was there, I texted him back and told him that its because he's english, end of. He then texts me another day to say that he was in a pub and was chatting to some locals about footy and he mentioned that he has a good friend who's a city Cardiff City supporter and how he always looks out for our results and he loves coming to Cardiff and having a laugh, their response was " why do you support those english wankers"!!, i thought the resentment towards us in the south didnt exist any longer, how wrong i was.

None of the above....

They are simply ignorant and for that there are NO excuses....

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:47 pm

The 'scouseness' of the North Wales people when speaking English is a genuine cause
of bitterness for them (us)... The only real 'jealousy' against South Wales is that when
they speak English, everyone knows they are Welsh. When a North Walian speaks
English, everyone thinks they are scousers, even people from Pwllheli/Ffestiniog/Caernarfon...
people who barely speak English from day to day. THATS the real reason they switch
from English to Welsh in front of English people, they dont want to be mistaken for
English

As for Northerners not liking Cardiff City... no way... City seem to be everybodys
second team up there, after Man Utd,Liverpool etc...

And there are lots of dyed in the wool City fans up there who have been making 400
mile round trips for 30 years

Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:03 pm

taffyapple wrote:The 'scouseness' of the North Wales people when speaking English is a genuine cause
of bitterness for them (us)... The only real 'jealousy' against South Wales is that when
English, everyone thinks they are scousers, even people from Pwllheli/Ffestiniog/Caernarfon...
people who barely speak English from day to day. THATS the real reason they switch
from English to Welsh in front of English people, they dont want to be mistaken for
English

As for Northerners not liking Cardiff City... no way... City seem to be everybodys

And there are lots of dyed in the wool City fans up there who have been making 400

As you imply TA they are strange, strange bunch up there. Met a good few on away trips with Wales and to a man (and woman) a great bunch of lads. Tiny and his mates, couldn't wish to meet a better of lads, think from Anglesey or somewhere very close so yep a 400 odd mile trip for a home game. Go up there though and unless you meet someone you know or recognise from City/Wales you're made about us welcome as an egg chaser at a home for battered wives.

I've visited North Wales on several occassions as it is a most beautiful part of the UK but have been subjected to the change in language from english to wenglish numerous times, walk into a pub and the locals will swop from speaking english to a basardised form of welsh in seconds.

Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:38 pm

Willy the Wombat wrote:
taffyapple wrote:The 'scouseness' of the North Wales people when speaking English is a genuine cause
English

As you imply TA they are strange, strange bunch up there. Met a good few on away trips with Wales and to a man (and woman) a great bunch of lads. Tiny and his mates, couldn't wish to meet a better of lads, think from Anglesey or somewhere very close so yep a 400 odd mile trip for a home game. Go up there though and unless you meet someone you know or recognise from City/Wales you're made about us welcome as an egg chaser at a home for battered wives.

I've visited North Wales on several occassions as it is a most beautiful part of the UK but have been subjected to the change in language from english to wenglish numerous times, walk into a pub and the locals will swop from speaking english to a basardised form of welsh in seconds.

i dont imply strangeness at all. To make sure everyone knows they are Welsh...
they speak Welsh thats about it really

Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:47 am

theres no Cardiff-hatred at wrexham anymore recently been to Wrexham at Bath City and put my flag on display for the whole game in the wrexham section and the response from the 221 in red was great...
no matter if it was wrexham shirts or lads... :ayatollah:

Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:51 pm

They dont Bangor and Hollyhead have a lot of Cardiff support and hate Wrexham more than us. Also on Wales trips there is always a strong N Wales support and every one gets on. At the recent Wales England game I had Scotish friends down and we were drinking with Wrexham fans that day. So what makes you say that?

Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:20 pm

We don't hate Cardiff at all. I'm a Wrexham fan but travel to Wales games with mates from Cardiff who are all City fans. At Wrexham you'll hear a lot of good will towards Cardiff - especially now we are languishing in the bloody Blue Square ... a hell of a lot more good will than the Jacks get.

This comes from a lot of us following Wales and having City supporting mates who also follow Wales away.

As for "switching to Welsh when I walked in" ... come on, it's a myth - do you not think we might have been speaking Welsh anyway? :D

Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:26 am

Exactly.ive spent the two previous summers working in north wales in a welsh speaking village,if your that paronoid about it try learning some welsh and join in.as a welshperson shouldnt we all have at least a basic grasp of our own language?

And no lads im not a language nazi,i was brought up in port talbot so i would have had the same school negativity about learning welsh as the rest of south east/central wales

Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:34 am

I always look out for Wrexham and Bangor city results of my brothers in the north.

There is a north east and north west element to the anti south feeling, mainly political and on times language. I have been slagged of in welsh as a southerner but they were embarassed by my response yn gymraeg.

in caernarfon one time, one guy went for me another guy hit him - the first a liverpool fan, the second Man u!

I remember staying near llangollen and travelling to wrexham for a wales game on the bus when i had shit off some guys - i also remember warm conversations with wrexham and holyhead lads too.

there are pockets of anger but dont tar all the north as you will be the same as those biggots who tar the south :ayatollah:

WELSH BLUEBIRD

Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:00 am

I am genuinely shocked and surprised by this. Have spent a lot of time up North because I absolutely love it up there. Every year I am up there, did the Llyn Peninsula for a week in June, then on my stag do in Llanberris next month. Have mingled with Wrexham fans in pubs.

BUT I HAVE NEVER HEARD ANYTHING ABOUT A HATRED FOR OUR CLUB.

But as in a all walks of life sadly it only takes one or two, and if this is true they are traitors and should be locked up for life. Evil scum

Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:04 am

moz-dublin wrote:Exactly.ive spent the two previous summers working in north wales in a welsh speaking village,if your that paronoid about it try learning some welsh and join in.as a welshperson shouldnt we all have at least a basic grasp of our own language?

And no lads im not a language nazi,i was brought up in port talbot so i would have had the same school negativity about learning welsh as the rest of south east/central wales

very true :ayatollah:

Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:21 am

I think im being mis-understood here. I'm not slating the North at all, i was just wondering why some people despised us as a club and deemed us to be 'english wankers'. I know that that was obviously a few peoples opinions and that there are far many that dont hold the same opinion, but i was intriqued by the reason behind it. As for saying that i should learn welsh, i can speak welsh fluently and if you read what i had written, it wasnt about me, it was my mate from Coventry and i dont see why he should be learning a language that he has no connection with. As i said,im welsh and proud and love this country but was intrigued by the response he had up there. :ayatollah:

Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:20 pm

I think the lesson here is each nort walian has their own mind and opinion, you cant tar everyone with the same brush. My family are from Porthmadog, most support everton or liverpool, but there is no animosity towards Dinas Caerdydd.

Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:26 pm

witchfinder wrote:I think im being mis-understood here. I'm not slating the North at all, i was just wondering why some people despised us as a club and deemed us to be 'english wankers'. I know that that was obviously a few peoples opinions and that there are far many that dont hold the same opinion, but i was intriqued by the reason behind it. As for saying that i should learn welsh, i can speak welsh fluently and if you read what i had written, it wasnt about me, it was my mate from Coventry and i dont see why he should be learning a language that he has no connection with. As i said,im welsh and proud and love this country but was intrigued by the response he had up there. :ayatollah:

what you've done is taken an odd isolated incident, mixed it up with a bit
of old folklore (they were speaking English til they saw me etc etc) and
started a debate. As a North Wales lad who has spent much of his adult
life in or around Cardiff, im happy to see the overwhelming response is
that there is no hatred. Most North Walians look out for City's results
after their own team (if they arent City fans).. its how its always been!!

Your mate from Coventry doesnt live up there does he? nobody forces
anyone to learn Welsh. But if he lives, or spends a lot of time up there
it would be common courtesy to at least learn to say good morning in the
language, if he's in a Welsh speaking area... Same as we do when we go
abroad... it aint hard... Bore Da, Morgen, Gin dobre, ein bier bitte!!!

The hang up is actually an English one, they historically have been very
poor at attempting other languages, hiding behind the old "speak English,
we won the war" excuses!!... thats changed massively. Perhaps your friend
should try harder.