Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Was a family member good at footy?

Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:35 pm

My Old man was handy

My dad 1961 onwards playing for Barry town started at Cardiff corinthians Cardiff city-trained in a superb city team at the time did not make the first team then went to Dudley town then barry town then sully in the welsh league

He also represented Wales at Baseball :ayatollah: :ayatollah:
anyone else?

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id= ... =1&theater

Re: Was a family member good at footy?

Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:37 pm

My Dad played for Cardiff Schoolboys till he was 6 but then broke both his ankles in a bad accident.

Never recovered from that but carried on playing parks football till he was 38.

Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:39 pm

Great t shirts by the way nice one I thinkInjuries are the thing my old man was cut short due to a knee Injury

I played for cardiff Boys, barry boys etc with Mel Reece soI took after my old man a bit who always said I was better than him :ayatollah:

Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:44 pm

My grand father (Freddis Jukes)played for Crewe in the 30's

Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:45 pm

Emlyn Hughes

Wayne Hughes

Mark Hughes (not THE Mark Hughes).

Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:47 pm

Liverpool wanted to sign my uncle when he was 15 but my grandmother wouldnt let him because she thought playing football would ruin his education. He is still bitter about it 30 years later lol

Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:49 pm

placid what year did he play for Wales at baseball ?

what club did he play for ?

i almost got a welsh cap about 20 years ago . my lad played for Wales youth 3 years ago

Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:51 pm

placid-casual wrote:Great t shirts by the way nice one I thinkInjuries are the thing my old man was cut short due to a knee Injury

I played for cardiff Boys, barry boys etc with Mel Reece soI took after my old man a bit who always said I was better than him :ayatollah:

Nice one mate, really glad you like them!

Just like your dad, I know so many good players that have been finished due to knee injuries.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:58 pm

MOZZER I'll ask I think the club was Llanrumney

He still goes on about the ball being very heavy and the tackles were mental he was either center forward or centre back

Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:59 pm

Nobby is that the Emlyn Hughes ?

Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:14 pm

My cousin Ian Jones was at Cardiff on a YTS scheme. He had a few games for the first team in 93/94, but they never signed him up as 18. He then went on to play for Merthyr. He also has a few Wales Youth caps.

Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:15 pm

placid-casual wrote:Nobby is that the Emlyn Hughes ?

Yes mate. :ayatollah:

Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:18 pm

My Grampy was Ivor Hughes played wales baseball 12 times :ayatollah:

Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:20 pm

Nobby tidy I saw him play against wales at Ninian why did he not play for wales his name was Emlyn Hughes? :ayatollah:

Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:21 pm

ackers what does Ian do now?

Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:26 pm

placid-casual wrote:ackers what does Ian do now?

Haven't seen him for around two years. He was living in Aberdare and playing for Penrhiwceiber Rangers

Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:28 pm

placid-casual wrote:Nobby tidy I saw him play against wales at Ninian why did he not play for wales his name was Emlyn Hughes? :ayatollah:

His father is Welsh but Emlyn was born in England, also Mark Hughes who played for Tranmere, Shrewsbury, and the Jacks amonst others in the early 90s, and Wayne Hughes who played for Cardiff in the 80s, West Brom and an American side are belonging. Why he never played for Wales is his choice, glory hunter probably. :lol:

Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:29 pm

my mums cousin is peter sayer :ayatollah:

Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:33 pm

my nephew got offered an academy contract with Swansea, and also a developmental deal with Cardiff. I told him he shouldnt play for the jacks, so he took the cardiff deal. the crux was with Swansea he wasnt allowed to play any other football (village team or with his mates) He didnt get into the academy with Swansea, im feel bad for saying it to him now, as part of his decision was listening to me!

Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:50 pm

Wayne Curtis, played for City 1986-87 :ayatollah:

Plus a few other clubs either side of City :ayatollah:

Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:54 pm

My Gramper played for Wales v England in 1950

Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:58 pm

My cousin signed for Portsmouth this week!!

He had trials with Leeds, and Cardiff also held talks with him. Newcastle were also sniffing around, but he chose Portsmouth. He's only 17 but it's a 2 year pro contract with the option of another 1 year - starting with the academy with a view to being in the first team in 6 months time.

Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:01 pm

My Grancha played for Merthyr :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:06 pm

ackers1927 wrote:My cousin Ian Jones was at Cardiff on a YTS scheme. He had a few games for the first team in 93/94, but they never signed him up as 18. He then went on to play for Merthyr. He also has a few Wales Youth caps.

saw ian play against blackpool he lives near me his boy is with cardiff now :ayatollah:

Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:07 am

carlccfc wrote:Wayne Curtis, played for City 1986-87 :ayatollah:

Plus a few other clubs either side of City :ayatollah:

I played with Wayne :ayatollah:

Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:38 pm

My fathers brother played for Caerphilly Town pre 2nd world war in the Welsh League South, he then signed professional terms with Arsenal just before the start of the war. Unfortunately he was never to play for them as he was killed during the war.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:24 pm

my nephew got offered a trial for cardiff but my bro refused cos of the restraints it puts on kids playing anywhere else. gutted

Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:44 pm

i played for cardiff city centre off exellence wit darcy blake and chris gunter for 12 years old till i was 16.
then played for merthyr youth for a season or 2. but naw play pub footy lol :(

Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:05 pm

My dad (Anthony xerri) signed school boy forms and later was on the yts scheme with Cardiff city. Does anyone on here know him.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:18 pm

I played regular local league football for 17 years, both my knees are f**ked. :(