Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: " First ever time at Ninian what was the year ? "

Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:07 am

AUGUST 1954 V PRESTON, SAT ON A CRASH BARRIER WITH MY DAD IN THE ONE AND ONLY GRANGETOWN END. HAPPY DAYS :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:15 am

1994 - Mancity game!

I was 5 years old and my uncle took me in the bob bank! From that moment I couldnt wait for the next game! :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:22 am

1963, it was the first season back in division 2 after relegation from division 1, can't remember who we played though !! :ayatollah:

Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:37 am

January 1968 v Rotherham. A 2-2 draw having been 0-2 down. Leighton Phillips made his debut as a sub and scored with his first touch.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:39 am

1968 versus Huddersfield.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:45 am

December 28th 1969 v Hull city, 3-0 Thoshack,Clark and Bird.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:47 am

johnnybbird wrote:The first game I ever went to at Ninian Park was a John Charles testimonial Leeds United against the Allstars ... I know it was early 70s but could someone let me know when? :ayatollah:

am i right in thinking everyone has mis read your post??

did you want to know what year the John Charles tesomonial was ??

:lol:

Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:13 am

1991 Walsall home and we lost 2-0.

Was a ball boy for the next 2 seasons and have had a season ticket since

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:20 am

The John Charles testimonial was 8th Dec 1971 at Ninian park,below is a link to the programme

http://www.gtj.org.uk/en/small/item/GTJ73414/

I think thats what you were looking for

Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:34 am

1977 or 1978, a 1-0 win v Wrexham

Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:31 pm

johnnybbird wrote:The first game I ever went to at Ninian Park was a John Charles testimonial Leeds United against the Allstars ... I know it was early 70s but could someone let me know when? :ayatollah:

I was at that game and it was 1971and i was just 11 years old seem to remember Leeds won 7-6 :o think my very first game was either 69 or 70 but can't remember against who although i know the opposition wore Claret & Blue so it was either Villa or Burnley i think :?: It was to lead to 40 + years of excitement, disappointments, joy, sorrow, happiness, misery, raised expectations and dashed hopes along with mad mad away trips loads of aggro and 3 trips to Wembley including the FA Cup Final which i never thought i would see in my lifetime :ayatollah:

City till i die :old:

Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:32 pm

1997 season. around 7 years old at the time. i honestly can't remember what game it was. i have shocking memory. all i know it was 2 years before i went to wrexham away :ayatollah:

Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:57 pm

1961 - Wales v England. Then 1962 for first City match. Beat WBA 3-2 (I think), but still relegated from top flight of course!

Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:58 pm

Might have gone before this but from what i can remember my first time was against West Ham in the Carling Cup 2003. We lost 2-3 and I think I remember Earnie scoring and singing into the microphone :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:10 pm

Cardiff v Northampton in 2001 we won 2-0. That was my first time :ayatollah:

Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:13 pm

21.10.1967 :old: - Wales 0 v England 3. Sat on a barrier in the Bob Bank ( no seats). Going out, the crowd kept coming forward when the front had stopped - I couldn't breathe in the crush :mrgreen: and my Dad and his mate were like wild things making space for me.....

Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:47 pm

not sure of the opponents but it was a mild autumn/winter mid-week evening kick off, we stood in among the away fans on the grange end, (all kicked off once we scored ☺ ) dont think there was a roof then either, about 1983/84 what year did we get Wokenham in the cup and the Pompy clock fell, that was my inaugural year \☺/ <☺> \☺/

Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:03 pm

2004/2005 season, losing to Ipswich 0-1.
My first and last ever game at Ninian Park was against Ipswich and we lost both. :lol: :ayatollah:

Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:12 pm

2001, we lost 2-1 to huddersfield, peter thorne scored :ayatollah:

Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:40 pm

1978 v Notts County. Lost 3-2.

Buchanan scored an absolte screamer. Hooked ever since!

I remember having to get there early every game so that I could sit on the barriers on the Bob Bank!

:ayatollah:

Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:29 pm

1967-68 SHEFF UNT :ayatollah: Was only 8

Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:01 pm

1982 season though dont recall the opponents. i was 7 and remember being totally in awe of the whole experience.oh and i remember the open roofed toilets in the bob bank :ayatollah:

Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:33 pm

Plymouth at home in 1993, we lost 3-2 but I was totally hooked. The crowd was only about 7,000 but what an atmosphere.I loved that team with Eddie May in charge. It's cost me a fortune over the years travelling down from Scotland but I've never regretted it. :ayatollah:

Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:52 pm

Real Madrid at home i think we won that one :lol:

First League game a year later "Deggsy Showers missed an open goal in front of the proper" Grange End" we won "2-1.

First full season the Alston/Evans seasosn.

All together now

TONY EVANS WALKS ON WATER LALALALAH LAH LAH LAH!

Mini Siad Hooked after Thornie patted him on head after scoring :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:04 pm

my first game at Ninian was Walesv England under 21 I think it was 1966, it pissed down, someone from Maesteg won two tickets me and my mate Martin Ronan went down we were so excited but I think we got hammerd, been down the City ever since, through the good and bad times. :old: :ayatollah: :old:

Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:56 pm

First Cardiff game, Scunthorpe home Aug 8th 2009! :old: First game of the season, my 20th birthday and we won 4 - 0! :ayatollah: Oh wait, that was CCS, not Ninian. :oops:

Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:00 pm

1971. We beat Hull City 5v1 :D :ayatollah: I was only 4 :old: Don't remember much about it.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:05 pm

i think it was 88-89 sometime cant exactly remember :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:00 pm

My first game was with my brother! He had to look after me it was a day after my mothers birthday i think and she went away and my brother took me down where we won 1-0 Jobi Mcanuff on the last day of the 2004/2005 season! :D But im not sure if it was against Reading or Qpr! :oops:

If anyone would help me tell me if it was Reading or Qpr my next game then was Arsenal Fa Cup i loved my time watching that one game but my brother had college and stopped going for a while and my parents work all the time so i could never go down but my brother got me a ticket for Arsenal in January 2009 and got into it more! :ayatollah:

Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:21 pm

DandoCCFC wrote:My first game was with my brother! He had to look after me it was a day after my mothers birthday i think and she went away and my brother took me down where we won 1-0 Jobi Mcanuff on the last day of the 2004/2005 season! :D But im not sure if it was against Reading or Qpr! :oops:

If anyone would help me tell me if it was Reading or Qpr my next game then was Arsenal Fa Cup i loved my time watching that one game but my brother had college and stopped going for a while and my parents work all the time so i could never go down but my brother got me a ticket for Arsenal in January 2009 and got into it more! :ayatollah:

It was QPR :ayatollah: