Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" First ever time at Ninian what was the year ? "

Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:47 pm

The first game I ever went to at Ninian Park was a John Charles testimonial Leeds United against the Allstars ... I know it was early 70s but could someone let me know when? :ayatollah:

Re: First ever time at Ninian what was the year?

Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:49 pm

Erm...I think mine was 2003 vs Walsall and we lost 2-1, I'm not sure. :?

Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:58 pm

johnnybbird wrote:The first game I ever went to at Ninian Park was a John Charles testimonial Leeds United against the Allstars ... I know it was early 70s but could someone let me know when? :ayatollah:

His last professional season was 70-71 if that helps (Hereford)

Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:25 pm

1968 Hamburg semi final cup winners cup I was an 8 year old and was totally mesmerised. Remember telling all my mates who were rugby fans how great it was, hooked ever since and love it :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:25 pm

1972/73 Season Cardiff City 1 Bolton W 0. Gill Reece Crowd approx. 9,500. Stood on the Bob Bank with my Grandfather :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Renewed My Season Ticket Since 1973/74, Every Season up and including This Season :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:27 pm

arsenal fred keenor cup seventy four :ayatollah:

Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:31 pm

bethesda in the welsh cup anyone tell me when :ayatollah: :old: :old:

Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:33 pm

1989 / 1990 season I was only 4 and it was against Burnley, I just remember how everything and everyone was so much bigger than me.

Couldn't tell you the score or anything about the game, my only memory was it kicking off on sloper road after the game. A guy ran past us and knocked me over. My dad kicked him and the guy fell over, looked back at me and my dad and carried on running. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Shortly after I just remember my dad pinning me up against the wall outside the grandstand shielding me from all manner of carnage going on behind him - on sloper road.

My mum used to work every Saturday, so my dad took me to all the City matches with him, stood on the Bob Bank.

Next day I just remember my mum giving him an earful as I was so upset over the whole thing - telling him I was never going to another football match again.

21 years later and me and my dad still go to every game together! Glad he never listened to her! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

City Till I Die

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: " First ever time at Ninian what was the year ? "

Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:35 pm

2nd November 1968. Beat Blackburn 2-1

Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:46 pm

89/90 season. :ayatollah:

Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:48 pm

1991-1992 season burnley!! Lost 2 nil! :(

Stood in the disabled part in-between the bob bank and the canton with my dad!!

Hooked ever since!!!
:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:01 pm

73/74 season relgation decider with cycrstal palace on a miserable wednesday night i was only eleven yrs old at the time it was wet miserable night and i thought it looked quiet a daunting area we got a one all draw to keep us up the place went mental when the final whistle went to end the game .midweek games never changed ninian park and the area around it never changed even to its present day even with a new stadium

Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:05 pm

92/93 season :ayatollah:

Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:08 pm

1977 but feck knows what game :lol:

Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:08 pm

cardiff v everton fa cup 1977 lost 1-2 att 35,582 stood on the grange end hooked ever since. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:15 pm

1970/71 , we beat Sunderland at Ninian Park 3 1 :old:

Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:19 pm

Can remember watching in 1965/66 season :old:

Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:50 pm

1980 season when on leave from the army

Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:50 pm

chelsea at home,think it was '77 frightened the shit outta me. 12 yrs old. :o :ayatollah:

Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:52 pm

Cardiff 2-0 Reading 2005.

Didn't start regularly going until the season we got to the cup final, the beginning of it though when we almost got wound up. Next thing we knew we were in Wembley :D

Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:28 pm

I THINK THE YEAR WAS 1977 AGAINST PNE AND WE LOST 2-0 :old: :old: :old:

Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:30 pm

1976.wales v yugoslavia.european campionship qualifier.then started watching the city from then.when i wasnt participating in sport myself.

Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:35 pm

johnnybbird wrote:The first game I ever went to at Ninian Park was a John Charles testimonial Leeds United against the Allstars ... I know it was early 70s but could someone let me know when? :ayatollah:

82/83 season :ayatollah: first game arsenal home in the milk cup :ayatollah:

Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:43 pm

14th January 1967
Blackburn 1-1. 10 years of age and I was completely overwhelmed by the occasion. The players looked like giants and the field seemed huge. I remember walking back to the railway station after the game, it seemed to take forever.
I think my father wished he hadn't taken me because I asked him questions all the way home. Because he worked shifts it was a while before my next game, which was Coventry towards the end of the season.
My son's first game Peterboro lost 0-2, January 2002 the week after Leeds in FA Cup.
My daughter's first game Leicester won 3-2 Chopra hat trick January 27th 2007.
Januarys are a good time in my family to start supporting the City.
My wife came once we beat Southampton 2-1. Funny enough that was in January to, can't remember the year but she hasn't been since.

Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:46 pm

1975-76 season Cardiff City v Hereford. :ayatollah:

Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:07 pm

March 1970. A wide eyed seven year old.

City 0 Huddersfield 1.

The start of over 40 years of joy, pain, happiness, sadness, great times, terrible times, promotions, relegations, packed stadiums and empty terraces, aggro and banter, laughter and tears, three trips to Wembley that I never for one moment imagined when standing on the Bob Bank that day so long ago.

Thanks Dad!

Wouldn't change a thing. Hope I get to see City in the top division before I die!

Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:08 pm

64-65ish on my dads shoulders and I think it was Bristol City? :old: :old: :D I was 8 or 9 at the time. :o

Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:16 pm

December 23rd 1964 v sporting in Europe :ayatollah:

Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:47 pm

Lots of :old: on here ;) :ayatollah:

Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:58 am

October 1977 beat Oldham 1-0 Paul Went scored, my dad bought me blue yellow & white bar scarf which I have still got :old: