Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Parachute Payments - too much now?

Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:44 am

I can't help but think that the parachute payments that teams relegated from the Premier League are too much now. West Ham bought Newcastle's captain for £4M FFS!
John Carew, Matt Taylor, they could have played in the Premiership this year their wages will be huge.
I thought the point of parachute payments was to protect the club that's saddled with large wage bills so they don't freefall through the leagues, bit like Bradford did and Leicester before they went into Admin .
We've seen it with Newcastle who kept people like Coloccini on a reported £90K PW!,
We will have the pleasure now of seeing that bloke with the helicopter in his garden going on about how West Ham are struggling with debts, and how he doesn't earn a penny yet they have just taken on Bentley on loan, his wages must be astronimical and beyond every other team.
At this rate, the 3 teams that come down will guarantee themselves a return each year, how could a team like us or Coventry (who have the longest consectutive stay in Championship) compete with that?

Re: Parachute Payments - too much now?

Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:27 am

yoyo wrote:I can't help but think that the parachute payments that teams relegated from the Premier League are too much now. West Ham bought Newcastle's captain for £4M FFS!
John Carew, Matt Taylor, they could have played in the Premiership this year their wages will be huge.
I thought the point of parachute payments was to protect the club that's saddled with large wage bills so they don't freefall through the leagues, bit like Bradford did and Leicester before they went into Admin .
We've seen it with Newcastle who kept people like Coloccini on a reported £90K PW!,
We will have the pleasure now of seeing that bloke with the helicopter in his garden going on about how West Ham are struggling with debts, and how he doesn't earn a penny yet they have just taken on Bentley on loan, his wages must be astronimical and beyond every other team.
At this rate, the 3 teams that come down will guarantee themselves a return each year, how could a team like us or Coventry (who have the longest consectutive stay in Championship) compete with that?

Why don't you give Huw Jenkins a call and ask him? :D

Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:33 am

yoyo wrote:I can't help but think that the parachute payments that teams relegated from the Premier League are too much now. West Ham bought Newcastle's captain for £4M FFS!

how did qpr, swansea ,norwich,blackpool to name but a few manage to get to the top then,parachute payments are nothing new :ayatollah:

Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:40 am

Tbh it is not the parachute payments that get a team coming down promoted. The yoyo teams are well supported and have big following. Just look at West Brom, Sunderland, Newcastle and now West Ham. Well supported clubs and well structered. Now look at teams that have gone up, come down and look like not going up, Burnley, Blackpool, Hull and soon to be Swansea. Where has the parachute payments got them.

It will be interesting to see how the Jacks go though. They dont seem to be spending much and you get the impression they are preparing for life in the championship and a promotional push again. Saying that it is exactly what Burnley did and look where they are now.

Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:44 am

Bakedalasker wrote:Tbh it is not the parachute payments that get a team coming down promoted. The yoyo teams are well supported and have big following. Just look at West Brom, Sunderland, Newcastle and now West Ham. Well supported clubs and well structered. Now look at teams that have gone up, come down and look like not going up, Burnley, Blackpool, Hull and soon to be Swansea. Where has the parachute payments got them.

It will be interesting to see how the Jacks go though. They dont seem to be spending much and you get the impression they are preparing for life in the championship and a promotional push again. Saying that it is exactly what Burnley did and look where they are now.

Spot on. The best answer would be spend to stay there in the first place, like Stoke for instance.

Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:35 am

SBF1 wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:Tbh it is not the parachute payments that get a team coming down promoted. The yoyo teams are well supported and have big following. Just look at West Brom, Sunderland, Newcastle and now West Ham. Well supported clubs and well structered. Now look at teams that have gone up, come down and look like not going up, Burnley, Blackpool, Hull and soon to be Swansea. Where has the parachute payments got them.

Spot on. The best answer would be spend to stay there in the first place, like Stoke for instance.

I wouldn't speak too soon about blackpool.

The huge parachute payment will make them far more competitive than otherwise. They've probably got a bigger playing budget than Leeds !

The squad they've got is more than competitive.

I've always said the parachute payments are a disgrace and frankly if challenged would be illegal, but we are stuck with them and thats why we have to wrk for the long term and build a decent squad of young players on long cotracts.

Its goign to get worse as the 3 coming down next year will have a lot of money, just hope that I we don't go up West ham, blackpool and Birmingham go up as their parachute money will be spread amongst the Championship clubs. If all 3 it will be £96m between 21 of us. It would also mean there will only be the 3 coming down who will have the advantage over us.

My fear is a club of 28 Premiership clubs which changes very little over time.

Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:47 am

Lawnmower wrote:Its goign to get worse as the 3 coming down next year will have a lot of money, just hope that I we don't go up West ham, blackpool and Birmingham go up as their parachute money will be spread amongst the Championship clubs. If all 3 it will be £96m between 21 of us. It would also mean there will only be the 3 coming down who will have the advantage over us.

My fear is a club of 28 Premiership clubs which changes very little over time.

Well not sure about all this.

I agree about the 28 premiership but I dont think it will generate from the parachute payments. The 28 clubs will eventually be the biggest supported clubs. I can see clubs like Bolton, Wigan and Blackburn falling away and the likes of Leeds, Sothampton, Derby, Forest and Leicester breaking into the 28. I also believe Cardiff have the potential to make the 28.