Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

We stole your clock (Pompey)

Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:09 pm

Why do we sign we stole your clock to pompey for lol

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: We stole your clock (Pompey)

Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:13 pm

Cause in the 80s, I believe, Cardiff fans stole a clock from Fratton Park. Some of the oldies will correct me now.

Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:15 pm

oh the good old days ,you would go to prison now,football special back to cardiff took forever ,cord being pulled every minute and not a window or seat left on the train

Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:21 pm

Bridgend_bluebird wrote:Cause in the 80s, I believe, Cardiff fans stole a clock from Fratton Park. Some of the oldies will correct me now.

Just spoke to my brother who was there that day with 4,000 Cardiff fans,the game ended 0-0 and the Cardiff fans were kept behind for an hour +.
The clock came down in this time,and the game was the main one on match of the day,as it was 1st v 2nd.
Cardiff went up that season from the old Div 3 to Div 2 :ayatollah:

Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:21 pm

TopCat CCFC wrote:
Bridgend_bluebird wrote:Cause in the 80s, I believe, Cardiff fans stole a clock from Fratton Park. Some of the oldies will correct me now.

Just spoke to my brother who was there that day with 4,000 Cardiff fans,the game ended 0-0 and the Cardiff fans were kept behind for an hour +.
The clock came down in this time,and the game was the main one on match of the day,as it was 1st v 2nd.

Ah right. :ayatollah:

Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:24 pm

i dont think it was a case of. WE STOLE YOUR CLOCK, more like, wheres your hands gone? tick tock :roll:

Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:31 pm

we were not keeped back for an hour ,we took one of the biggest mobs away that city could have ever put togeather as revenge for the pompey home earlier in the season,we smashed their famous pompey chimes clock up ,done same at chelsea but most fans forget that,and bossed the day ,remember standing on cardiff central for the 8 am train and there must have been a 1000 lads all up for it and the 7.30 train went full as well.for anyone who was there who was the guy with the crutches

Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:13 pm

Bridgend_bluebird wrote:
TopCat CCFC wrote:

dull c**t shouldve known that :old:
dw neither did i :lol: :lol: :old: :old: :old: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:15 pm

that was pegleg one of the hardest cripples that i have ever met but also he was a great guy and would protect any city fan from getting a beating

Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:42 am

Pegleg did not have crutches he wore a leg caliper due to polio as a child.

:old: SLEEPLESS IN CANTON

Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:57 am

the guy who actually pulled the arms off is from llanrumney

Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:25 am

I was there, March 12, 1983, went on a "football special" train [engine & coaches], got off at Fratton. Train was bricked on the return journey, one fella had to get off just outside Portsmouth with a nasty head injury. Never heard what happened to him after.

Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:35 am

I do believe that the guy who pulled the arms of the clock was FEARLESS FRED(RIP) from Llanrumney who later went on to be stabbed by his Mrs or Girlfriend. As Peggy from Margate he will always be a City legend along with Frankie H, Jaws(Port Talbot),Gory (Neath) Kelly (Hollyhead)o Jeff the copper and a host of others both alive and dead. Many a time in the 80´s away at some shite hole on a Tuesday night you would see Peg and his entourage clipity clopping down the street without a care to the world and boy did he wear that scarf with pride. RIP :old:

Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:01 am

rhys1927ccfc wrote:
Bridgend_bluebird wrote:
TopCat CCFC wrote:

dull c**t shouldve known that :old:
dw neither did i :lol: :lol: :old: :old: :old: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

I ain't one of the oldies :D

Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:52 am

Went to Portsmouth a couple of times in the 80's. One year they rained stones and all sorts down on us from behind the away end. And does anyone remember "Joe" Dwyer coming out of the tunnel before one game and making a gesture as if to ask us what's the time? Think that was the year after we wrecked their clock. Great laugh and good memories

Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:00 pm

My brother was there - and by the way, the stealing of the clock - thats the history behind the song 'Pompey,Pompey whats the time ' ;)

Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:35 am

Went up on the train one year can't remember what year it was, but the team were at the front of the train, I got Toshacks autograph, I also remember seeing Scholer (sorry for spelling) there as well. I think the game was a draw, what I do remember was, it was bedlum getting back to the train station, even as we were on the platform getting ready to go over the bridge walkway fans were fighting, those days were mad.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:44 am

Beside the clock incident, I always recall the shower of bricks & stones being lobbed from the lane at the rear of our stand and both managers being interviewed on the pitch was Len Ashurst & Frankie Burrows.