Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Oldham 1978

Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:00 pm

No idea why this came into my head today. Proably the worst rain I ever saw(and I'm living in Ireland now), my fading memory says within the first ten minutes we scored, had one disallowed and Tony Evans rounded thier keeper only for the ball to get stuck in the mud needless to say we lost 2-1, anybody else remember this game. It was a mad season we got beaten away 7-1 by Luton, 5-1 by Brighton and the worst trip of the season 5-0 at Cambridge (0-0 ht and we missed a penalty).

Re: Oldham 1978

Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:04 pm

Galway Bluebird wrote:No idea why this came into my head today. Proably the worst rain I ever saw(and I'm living in Ireland now), my fading memory says within the first ten minutes we scored, had one disallowed and Tony Evans rounded thier keeper only for the ball to get stuck in the mud needless to say we lost 2-1, anybody else remember this game. It was a mad season we got beaten away 7-1 by Luton, 5-1 by Brighton and the worst trip of the season 5-0 at Cambridge (0-0 ht and we missed a penalty).

I Went to Luton when we lost 7-1, after 5, we started jumping up and down for Luton's last two goals :lol: :ayatollah:

Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:08 pm

Galway Bluebird wrote:No idea why this came into my head today. Proably the worst rain I ever saw(and I'm living in Ireland now), my fading memory says within the first ten minutes we scored, had one disallowed and Tony Evans rounded thier keeper only for the ball to get stuck in the mud needless to say we lost 2-1, anybody else remember this game. It was a mad season we got beaten away 7-1 by Luton, 5-1 by Brighton and the worst trip of the season 5-0 at Cambridge (0-0 ht and we missed a penalty).

Didn't go to that the Oldham game (not that I can remember anyway :lol: ) - but I definately went to the other 3 games, many memories from those. Not a great season lol.

Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:49 pm

We actually finished the season really well 1-1 away at West Ham and we beat Sunderland at Roker 2-1 and Ron Healy saved a penalty

Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:13 am

Galway Bluebird wrote:We actually finished the season really well 1-1 away at West Ham and we beat Sunderland at Roker 2-1 and Ron Healy saved a penalty

Ron Healy was always saving pens, remenmber he did it 3 games in a row, cant remember games but one was at home against Halifax, and he earned us a 0-0 draw, Phil Dwyer gave away the pen.

Remember Tony Evans too, his 2 goals against Hereford who were top of the table and the 2 nil win gained us promotion too.

those were the days, only a couple of quid to get in too.

Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:36 am

Went to all those games, hated the Cambridge one also the West Ham game where we drew 1-1, I think Ray Bishop scored for city. I remember all the coaches had their windows smashed, god it was cold going down the M4 with no windows, anybody else remember that West Ham trip

Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:48 am

welshden wrote:Went to all those games, hated the Cambridge one also the West Ham game where we drew 1-1, I think Ray Bishop scored for city. I remember all the coaches had their windows smashed, god it was cold going down the M4 with no windows, anybody else remember that West Ham trip

Our coach got there last for some reason, first thing we saw was all the smashed coaches then the broken glass outside the pub on the corner, welcome to West Ham, it was Ray Bishop. We had to walk through the West Ham on the main road
to get back to the coaches as well, nice.

Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:05 am

Galway Bluebird wrote:
welshden wrote:Went to all those games, hated the Cambridge one also the West Ham game where we drew 1-1, I think Ray Bishop scored for city. I remember all the coaches had their windows smashed, god it was cold going down the M4 with no windows, anybody else remember that West Ham trip

Our coach got there last for some reason, first thing we saw was all the smashed coaches then the broken glass outside the pub on the corner, welcome to West Ham, it was Ray Bishop. We had to walk through the West Ham on the main road
to get back to the coaches as well, nice.

Yep, remember it well. Hardest trip I've ever done - and there's a long, long list of those.

We went up with Adarglas and as we were getting close to the ground you had groups on corners with the usual gestures and stone-throwing. But some of these were also flashing blades and one guy opened his coat to reveal a f*cking sword - I kid you not. Others mentioned a machete but I didn't see that.

Anyway, we got off the bus and had to fight our way into the ground. Eventually managed that and so it would be plain sailing from here - or so we thought! Walked straight into them and off we go again lol. That carried on for virtually all game with them in amongst us, and the only time when you really thought it had stopped - up pops Ray Bishop and bloody scores. Cue the carnage again. I've never forgiven him for that goal lol. He also scored the consolation at Luton btw.

Scrapped our way back to the bus to find the windows put through. Triff.

Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:38 am

That was the first year i started going away with the city i went to about 18 away that year,like someone said west ham was a nightmare happy days though :ayatollah:

Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:24 pm

Even upto the Mid nighties if you won away you were in for it after the game.

I have preyed at away ground they equalise :D :old: