Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

WHO ARE WE?

Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:18 am

Cardiff city FC, a championship side who has faced years of turmoil and debt in lower leagues, battling relegation on numerous occasions, decades of shit attendances! We are a small club with. Small fan base. We've had a good decade at CCFC but only because the last 2 or 3 owners have thrown a wad load of cash in to make certain things possible....

We were pushing above our weight last season with the wages and the fact we had a premier league player of the year 2011 in our squad earning 90k a week.... Bellamy was a one off luxury! Let's not get carried away, we are not a top 4 club, we dont play in the Champions league, we do not have millions of pounds to spend on players....

Yet there are still fans out there that believe and expect we have the divine right to the luxuries and rewards of a world class team!

Come on people, remember our identity, get back to supporting CCFC as we used to years ago, an afternoon in Canton, a pie and a pint, a laugh with your mates and giving your full backing to the 11 men on the pitch wearing the blue shirt!

If we win - Bonus! But we're starting to sound like a bunch of unrealistic morons the way some of us go on, guilty of it myself in the past.... But from hereonin, I'm just going to enjoy the usual Saturday afternoon out.... :ayatollah:

Re: WHO ARE WE?

Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:21 am

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:23 am

Good post to many of our fans,dont remember the dark old days :ayatollah:

Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:25 am

well said mate :ayatollah:

Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:25 am

Eddie May's barmy army :ayatollah: :old: :ayatollah: :old: :ayatollah:

Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:06 am

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:08 am

Good post Merlin mate.

I think a big part of this is the fact that a lot of our fans are in a generation where they have only ever seen Cardiff City with money to spend. They weren't around during the days where we didn't have 2 pence to rub together and they expect us to spend big year in year out and get the best names to the club.

They need to realise that until we make it to the Premier League we will always have to be sensible about where our money goes, unfortunately for us we have lost a good source of income through the food courts at the stadium which would boost any possible transfer funds. I'm not saying that that is our only source of income, but, like may deals that were done during previous ownership, it doesn't help matters.

We are a small club, but the potential is here to make us a good established Premier League club for years to come. We have the stadium, we have the manager and we have the fans.

All we need to do is be patient and trust in MM, believe it or not he knows what he is doing

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:11 am

Standard :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:33 pm

Vintage 63 wrote:Eddie May's barmy army :ayatollah: :old: :ayatollah: :old: :ayatollah:

Those were the days Martyn! Loved a good relegation battle me mate! :lol: surviving in the last few games was almost as good as winning the league... :ayatollah:

Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:35 pm

Well said that man!!

Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:38 pm

It is great to remember the old days but TBH they have no relevance to today's ambition as you can never go forward if you are always looking backwards.

Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:40 pm

bravo :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:54 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:It is great to remember the old days but TBH they have no relevance to today's ambition as you can never go forward if you are always looking backwards.

I'm sorry but the fans ambitions lately are a bit unrealistic and pathetic, although from the clubs point of view I understand that we need to move forward.... The expectation over the past transfer window has been laughable! And the onslaught from fans towards Bellamy is disgraceful! Maybe they should look at the regime and practices of the last management outfit, including the players we've just shipped out.

I feel confident that Malky will do a great job here over the coming 3 years no matter where we finish in the league! As a fan I don't expect an automatic promotion place as we simply do no have the cash to compete with the likes of West Ham, Leicester and clubs like Blackpool, Burnley etc etc who are still in receipt of parachute payments!

Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:56 pm

Drug test for Merlin - no ambitious or positive posts allowed on here.

You're spot on though :ayatollah:

Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:01 pm

PtB wrote:Drug test for Merlin - no ambitious or positive posts allowed on here.

Nah mate! Lol I'm all for positivity as I have mentioned on other threads! I'm very happy with Malky, the players, the new boys and the effort they put in. I think if we can keep up the intense training, match day efforts, get some loans in and maybe just maybe we might nick a play off place again!!!

I just ask people to be realistic - that is all. :ayatollah:

Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:03 pm

Merlin wrote:
Tony Blue Williams wrote:It is great to remember the old days but TBH they have no relevance to today's ambition as you can never go forward if you are always looking backwards.

I'm sorry but the fans ambitions lately are a bit unrealistic and pathetic, although from the clubs point of view I understand that we need to move forward.... The expectation over the past transfer window has been laughable! And the onslaught from fans towards Bellamy is disgraceful! Maybe they should look at the regime and practices of the last management outfit, including the players we've just shipped out.

I feel confident that Malky will do a great job here over the coming 3 years no matter where we finish in the league! As a fan I don't expect an automatic promotion place as we simply do no have the cash to compete with the likes of West Ham, Leicester and clubs like Blackpool, Burnley etc etc who are still in receipt of parachute payments!

Spot on again, especially with the Bellamy situation. Fans should be appreciative that he came here in the first place, not slagging the guy off for not coming back when we clearly can't afford the crazy wages.

Come on guys FFS, lets get realistic, we are building for the future be that next season or seasons to follow. We now have a less outgoings and a good base of permanent players which I have no doubt will be topped up with a few (not mainly) loan signings.

Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:03 pm

Merlin wrote:
PtB wrote:Drug test for Merlin - no ambitious or positive posts allowed on here.

Nah mate! Lol I'm all for positivity as I have mentioned on other threads! I'm very happy with Malky, the players, the new boys and the effort they put in. I think if we can keep up the intense training, match day efforts, get some loans in and maybe just maybe we might nick a play off place again!!!

I just ask people to be realistic - that is all. :ayatollah:

I totally agree with you mate - just wish others could see it for what it is and stop finding stuff to moan about.

Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:34 pm

NO, defo not a small fan base, there are over a million people living in and around Cardiff and the surrounding area. We have the potential to be so much bigger, thats why the new stadium is one that can be built on easily if and when the support warrants such rebuilding..as for the past, that is the past now, expectations are higher and new generation of fans are more fickle than die hards of hold, call them what you want but they are the key to the club realising their amabitions through putting cash through the turnstiles and buying the merchandise. we as fans have to hope we have the team to keep on improving and not slipping back to the mediocrity of mid table also rans. We have been spoilt, sure by FA cup runs and play offs, but this is what new fans want. Oh and ive followed the club for 40years too. :ayatollah:

Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:39 pm

norfolkin welsh wrote:NO, defo not a small fan base, there are over a million people living in and around Cardiff and the surrounding area. We have the potential to be so much bigger, thats why the new stadium is one that can be built on easily if and when the support warrants such rebuilding..as for the past, that is the past now, expectations are higher and new generation of fans are more fickle than die hards of hold, call them what you want but they are the key to the club realising their amabitions through putting cash through the turnstiles and buying the merchandise. we as fans have to hope we have the team to keep on improving and not slipping back to the mediocrity of mid table also rans. We have been spoilt, sure by FA cup runs and play offs, but this is what new fans want. Oh and ive followed the club for 40years too. :ayatollah:

100% agree with you :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:41 pm

Merlin wrote:Cardiff city FC, a championship side who has faced years of turmoil and debt in lower leagues, battling relegation on numerous occasions, decades of shit attendances! We are a small club with. Small fan base. We've had a good decade at CCFC but only because the last 2 or 3 owners have thrown a wad load of cash in to make certain things possible....

We were pushing above our weight last season with the wages and the fact we had a premier league player of the year 2011 in our squad earning 90k a week.... Bellamy was a one off luxury! Let's not get carried away, we are not a top 4 club, we dont play in the Champions league, we do not have millions of pounds to spend on players....

Yet there are still fans out there that believe and expect we have the divine right to the luxuries and rewards of a world class team!

Come on people, remember our identity, get back to supporting CCFC as we used to years ago, an afternoon in Canton, a pie and a pint, a laugh with your mates and giving your full backing to the 11 men on the pitch wearing the blue shirt!

If we win - Bonus! But we're starting to sound like a bunch of unrealistic morons the way some of us go on, guilty of it myself in the past.... But from hereonin, I'm just going to enjoy the usual Saturday afternoon out.... :ayatollah:

Cracking post, well said!

:ayatollah:

Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:07 pm

Merlin wrote:Cardiff city FC, a championship side who has faced years of turmoil and debt in lower leagues, battling relegation on numerous occasions, decades of shit attendances! We are a small club with. Small fan base. We've had a good decade at CCFC but only because the last 2 or 3 owners have thrown a wad load of cash in to make certain things possible....

I think it is great just being a competitive team in the Championship. We have the potential to beat most teams in this league on our day. Don't get me wrong, I would love to be in the Premiership but I am well happy in the Championship. I even sort of miss Division 4! I guess I just love the City, regardless. I'm not going to lick Craig Bellamy's arse though ;-)

Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:21 pm

Top stuff Merlin

Whats the point of football if your not enjoying the moment and constantly looking for the future.

Ambition is great, but good times are great too.

life is too short to have a frown and tap keyboards

Lets get out there and get behind our latest crop of Cardiff City heros!!!!

(if you are going to slag me for writing this - i will say one thing ....
poosticks) :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: