Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Huge Lift For Us & Genuine Optimism

Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:45 am

The return of Macca, Kiss and Gunnarsson from injury, accompanied with the MOTM performance in midweek by Wildig and the form of Conway & Cowie makes our midfield under the guidance of Malky one of the strongest in the division IMO.

We still have 2 quality proven and experienced strikers starting up front, who've bagged a couple already this season, with good young quality propects in back up in the form of Mason & Rudy...all addition to a solid defensive unit that is littered with internationals, experience and an attacking threat at full back.

Malky will make at least one addition in the emergency loan window IMO from the Prem, and we have only lost once. I have to ask - Why is the general feeling on here one of doom and gloom?

We have a very good squad at this level to take us up to January and Malky always said he won't be adding to the squad for the sake of it - they have to be the right players or they wont be joining. 10 qualities signings have been made, thats the proof in the pudding for me.

The Echo have run the following story re positive news on the injury front etc:

STEPHEN McPhail is back playing for the first time since the end of last season.

And the Bluebirds playmaker could be in contention for a first-team call for the next Championship clash, against Doncaster Rovers on Saturday week.

The return of Macca is a major boost for manager Malky Mackay at a time when he also has Filip Kiss, Aron Gunnarsson and Aaron Wildig ready to play.

Kiss was among the substitutes in the 1-1 draw at Portsmouth, while all four will be available when Doncaster come to Cardiff City Stadium.

McPhail, who has made almost 200 first-team appearances for the Bluebirds, was in Cardiff’s development team for their 2-1 defeat at Llanelli this week and played for 63 minutes before going off.

“It was great to be playing again, for the first time since Burnley last May,” said McPhail.

“It was decided three weeks ago that this match at Llanelli would be the best one for me to return. It was decided before kick-off I would play an hour or so and I hope to play for a little longer in another match at Exeter City next Tuesday.

“The boys have been playing a lot of matches and I’ve been doing my own stuff with the fitness boys. It’s been frustrating and lonely at times, but I just had to get my head down and work hard.

“Now I’m joining in full training and it feels good. The dressing room is really strong and everybody is focused on what we need to do.

“We are used to challenging near the top of the Championship and that’s where we want to be.”

McPhail played alongside Wildig against Llanelli at Stebonheath Park and both did well.

Teenager Wildig, 19, was Cardiff’s man of the match, having shaken off a throat infection which kept him out earlier this season.

Mexican trialist Rodrigo Inigo del Hoya, a central defender who has played for Club America, struggled in the Cardiff back four.

Re: Huge Lift For Us & Genuine Optimism

Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:50 am

...and I even forgot to mention Whitts! :lol: :ayatollah:

Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:55 am

Certainly dose look promising, when put into that contex... :ayatollah:

Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:04 am

Exactly, we've signed ANOTHER excellent player ahead of the so called bigger teams - and i don't believe it was through the DJ method of spouting a load of shite and throwing wages at them. I think players genuinely believe in MM.

We've held on to all the players we wanted to again, possibly signing another 1/2 excellent prospects on trial, and we still have the loan window to come which i believe MM has something up his sleeve and is biding his time and not making snap transfers like DJ for the sake of it. I believe Parkin will go out on loan as well as a youngster or 2, and we will also bring in 2/3 quality loanees.

All good!

Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:01 am

very good post and nice to see some positive fans :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:48 am

:ayatollah:

Plenty to be positive about boys :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:23 pm

Great post we have a team that will challange for top 6 this season. After the play offs never thought that would happen.

We need to get behind this team, and you never know we may be pleasantly surprised come May :ayatollah:

Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:25 pm

Stop being so optimistic - youll be despised lol

totally agree with your sentiments :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:55 pm

broadlandsblue1960 wrote:Great post we have a team that will challange for top 6 this season. After the play offs never thought that would happen.

We need to get behind this team, and you never know we may be pleasantly surprised come May :ayatollah:

Definitely! We've got everything we've asked for since the DJ era ended in terms of a stronger relationship with the manager, players and the club, financial stability and a team that WILL compete...I can't understand how some of our fans can be unhappy with our current situation?

Like Merlin has posted...who are we??? I just want to support my club and enjoy matchday, simple as :ayatollah:

Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:56 pm

NIBluebird wrote:Stop being so optimistic - youll be despised lol

totally agree with your sentiments :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

:lol: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:58 pm

Great post.
Bloooooooooooooooooooooooobirds! :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:04 pm

Great post Jon :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:05 pm

great post :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:18 pm

good post but disagree with the Best midfield in the division....... WHU with Demel Collison Nolan Bentley to name a few,seems to pretty stronger imo...but all in all im happy that we got a working class squad this season compared to last year when we had a squad with class that occasionaly worked.......

With some big names still available to purchase on frees and loans, we shouldnt be to disheartened by only getting one player in on deadline day.... Malky is a smart man and he wont panic and sign a overpriced player just for the sake of it.( That was a pop at DJ's purchase of the Beast.) Although i like JP and so do alot of the team if u follow them on twitter u will know. Never in a million years is he worth 9k pw..... No wonder greggs have announced good profits lately.

Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:24 pm

Good post :ayatollah: We are in a much better position than any time over the last 40 years. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:33 pm

great post well wrote ,i tried to say this yesterday but couldnt write it up like you well done :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:54 pm

At last a good post worth reading. This board has gone down hill over the years and people (New Fans) are so used to Jones making 10 loan signings every year they expect MM to do the same. This board has become like the other City Message board, So many people moaning and never happy with anything, It angers me to read some posts.

MM and co are doing a fantastic job. Good post. :ayatollah:

Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:07 pm

Mate ur the only person who's posts i read twice i enjoy them a lot keep them comin

Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:42 pm

I think that we can win the league if we put a run together and build confidence feeding ont he pressure that might get to Leicester and West Ham. Should this not happen then I think we have a realistic chance at the playoffs.

Our big advantage is that we don't have any pressure to get automatic promotion this season. However, if us fans get on the players' backs during matches and the terrible Welsh media slate the players too much then we will create unneccessary pressure and lose out darkhorsability.

Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:21 am

Daniel_PT_blues wrote:Mate ur the only person who's posts i read twice i enjoy them a lot keep them comin

Cheers mate, appreciate that :ayatollah:

Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:24 am

aj1927 wrote:good post but disagree with the Best midfield in the division....... WHU with Demel Collison Nolan Bentley to name a few,seems to pretty stronger imo...but all in all im happy that we got a working class squad this season compared to last year when we had a squad with class that occasionaly worked.......

With some big names still available to purchase on frees and loans, we shouldnt be to disheartened by only getting one player in on deadline day.... Malky is a smart man and he wont panic and sign a overpriced player just for the sake of it.( That was a pop at DJ's purchase of the Beast.) Although i like JP and so do alot of the team if u follow them on twitter u will know. Never in a million years is he worth 9k pw..... No wonder greggs have announced good profits lately.

Not the best, one of the strongest midfields in the division...i genuinely believe that. I also agree Malky is smart, he knows what he's doing :ayatollah:

Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:58 am

Kanester wrote:At last a good post worth reading. This board has gone down hill over the years and people (New Fans) are so used to Jones making 10 loan signings every year they expect MM to do the same. This board has become like the other City Message board, So many people moaning and never happy with anything, It angers me to read some posts.

MM and co are doing a fantastic job. Good post. :ayatollah:

And just to prove a point, you have posted one great moan :roll:

Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:04 pm

GREAT POST JON, 2 OR MORE QUALITY LOANEE'S IN THE TEAM AND IMO SHOULD CHALLENGE FOR TOP FOUR AT END OF SEASON GOD WILLING, I REALY BELIEVE MM CAN DO THE BIZ?

LONG WAY TO GO BUT LET'S KEEP FAITH :old: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:03 pm

Totally agree except about the bit upfront, I think we are well short upfront but I have faith in MM bringing more players in. Delighted with his work so far :ayatollah:

Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:15 pm

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: TIDY !!!

Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:31 pm

Agree 100% I was kind of getting tired of the "let's all be content with mid-card" rubbish. Always shot for promotion! If you don't make it....try again next year. Never settle...... Plenty to be positive about. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:33 pm

Great post m8 :ayatollah:

Onwards and Upwards!!!

Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:41 pm

Great post in my opinion people dont realise it and know you put it like that its much more understandable!

We need more spice on the wing and a striker imo!

Be more nice to see Cowie and Whittingham in central i think we would see a lot more of Cowie because he has been fantastic!