Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" What happened to this ?? "

Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:31 pm

" WE DONT HAVE STRENGTH IN DEPTH by Malky Mackay "

Cardiff's Malky Mackay targets four new players

Page last updated at 11:47 GMT, Friday, 19 August 2011 12:47 UK

Malky Mackay says his Cardiff City squad lacks strength in depth
Manager Malky Mackay says he would like to sign up to four new players before the end of August's transfer window to strengthen his Cardiff City squad.

Brighton inflicted the Bluebirds' first defeat under Mackay's reign with a 3-1 victory at Cardiff City Stadium.

Nine new players joined the club during the summer but Mackay admits the squad still needs new additions.

"We don't have the strength in depth at the club. We need to strengthen the squad as a whole," he said.

"If I could get another two players in it would be great. If I could get four players it would be fantastic but you've got to be realistic what is going to improve your group.

"It's easy to bring four or five players but they've got to be players there's a reason [why] they're coming in.

"They're either as good or better as the players that are here or they're potential players that we see developing.

"It has to be the right type of player that comes here but also the right type of person.

"We're still having enquiries and we're still trying to get somewhere. It's certainly an ongoing process. We're looking out there at the moment to try and strengthen the squad because we have to.

"There was 12 players left here in the summer. We need senior players and we need to strengthen the squad as a whole.

"We are looking at four of five youngsters who have never been involved in the first team before to supplement the squad right. That's not something that's going to help us in a 46 game season."

Cardiff's 100% start to the Championship came to an end on Wednesday night as newly-promoted Brighton maintained their own perfect start with a 3-1 victory.

Mackay said mistakes had proved costly against Brighton and that the players would have a chance to put that right against Burnley on Saturday.

"We're ready to go again come Saturday," Mackay said looking ahead to the Turf Moor encounter.

"It will be a tough game. They are a team who have experienced Championship footballers."

Mackay confirmed midfielder Aron Gunnarsson, who missed the Brighton game with an ankle injury, as well as Stephen McPhail and Filip Kiss will miss the Burnley game.

he states what we are all saying, yet we dont seem to have done anything about it..

thoughts???

Re: what happened to this ??

Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:37 pm

we have signed 1 ssince then if im correct still time though

Re: what happened to this ??

Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:38 pm

we have no money and are skint lets face it otherwise we would have 5-6 players in weeks ago for the push to the prem not rocket science is it :ayatollah:

Re: " What happened to this ?? "

Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:42 pm

could have made season loan signings... no fee , just a contribution to wages....

Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:03 pm

plus our injured players will all be back for our next game ,why do some people panic this squad is more of a team than last years squad (of quality)that failed, i honestly believe malky is finding it hard now to get better than we already have ,at theright money / age ffs lay off all the critism ,let the malaysians(who we have a lot to thank them for)get on with sorting the off field finances ,and malky get on with building for the future (23 year old new signing)i for one am having a great time espacially at away games ,supporting my TEAM :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:51 pm

Dont forget we got a smaller squad than last season. 12 out and 10 in........what makes the numbers up are the academy players which have been added. Thats not promotion material, for promotion you need a decent size squad for cover.
The Malaysians wont be getting their money back this year and if we dont go up Icant see them backing us next year.

Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:53 am

They have to be the 'right' players though. If some of his targets were either unavailable or the deal wasnt feasible Malky has said he will not recruit. He's brought in 10 players who I believe will contribute to a strong challenge on promotion this season...and yesterday we were given a strong impression by the local media there would be loan signings shortly.

Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:12 am

What he wants and what he's given is 2 entirely different things. As for the £20K transfer kitty, that did not come from the club it came from people on this board that live on fantasy island...fact

Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:16 pm

£20k transfer kitty :?

Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:45 am

loan window opens again in a few days, i bet he has is eye on a few

Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:27 pm

canton blue wrote:Dont forget we got a smaller squad than last season. 12 out and 10 in........what makes the numbers up are the academy players which have been added. Thats not promotion material, for promotion you need a decent size squad for cover.
The Malaysians wont be getting their money back this year and if we dont go up Icant see them backing us next year.

I thought one of the reasons people disliked Jones because he wouldnt give youth a chance?