Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Lack of ambition and quality will cost the City this season

Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:52 pm

I really doubt that we will achieve promotion this season,

I feel that we have gone backwards in terms of quality on the pitch.
this season is a lot different than last as we have a lot more quality clubs in the league with chances of promotion even slimmer than last season.

will the malaysians go again in the 2012/13 season for promotion?

Re: lack of ambition and quality will cost the city this season

Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:56 pm

lets hope mm knows what he is doing and that he can work wonders with this squad...

only thing im slightly concerned about is that watford looked good for a time last season with youngsters etc and look what happened to them.. they also had taylor, cowie and not forgetting the top scorer in the division..

Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:08 pm

Our playing budget must have been cut in half.
Doesnt look like the malaysians are prepared to fund any extras this season.
Unless there are some significant loan deals mid table is all we can expect.
Why buy a centre half when we need a centre forward and some pace on the wing?

Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:10 pm

fred keenor wrote:Our playing budget must have been cut in half.

just a right winger.. we dont have one...

Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:34 pm

We was never going for the prem lets get real we let 12 players go end of last year dont that tell anyone anything and this year replaced them with 7 which was lesser wages plus equal or worse players so i dont know why the fans was even dreaming of top half finish will take 2-3 years for MM to do anything squad wise to what he wants there.:ayatollah:

Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:38 pm

bluebird1977 wrote:We was never going for the prem lets get real we let 12 players go end of last year dont that tell anyone anything and this year replaced them with 7 which was lesser wages plus equal or worse players so i dont know why the fans was even dreaming of top half finish will take 2-3 years for MM to do anything squad wise to what he wants there.:ayatollah:

Wait another 2/3 years for premier league?

You might be happy with that, but would the malaysians wait that long?

as they will want a return and more of their money and are trying to achieve promotion this season on little money spent which I feel won't get us anywhere this season.

Re: Lack of ambition and quality will cost the City this season

Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:48 pm

2-3 yrs is not good enough... more teams will become relegated from prem, receive parachute payments etc... making it more difficult...

blackpool, norwich, swansea etc.. all had less time than us in this league and managed it...

look at southampton and brighton at the moment...

we have been in this league long enough... leicester and forest etc have all gone down to league 1 and come back up and are challenging ..

mid table for 2-3 yrs is not the answer... and shows clear lack of ambition.

Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:55 pm

gabbs wrote:
bluebird1977 wrote:We was never going for the prem lets get real we let 12 players go end of last year dont that tell anyone anything and this year replaced them with 7 which was lesser wages plus equal or worse players so i dont know why the fans was even dreaming of top half finish will take 2-3 years for MM to do anything squad wise to what he wants there.:ayatollah:

as they will want a return and more of their money and are trying to achieve promotion this season on little money spent which I feel won't get us anywhere this season.

Blackpool, Norwich, Swansea.

All big spenders.

Not.

All failing to get promoted whereas we did and are now in the Champions League.

Not.

Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:19 pm

I was concerned at the start of the transfer window re the lack of transfer activity considering we had to replace 12. Many thought that we had plenty of time to bring in players and it was mentioned from many sources that there was money to spend.

There is no doubt that MM is building for the future and there has been very little cash spent by the club. It was believed that the new board wished to achieve promotion at the earliest opportunity but with the lack of investment one must question their ambitions and what they want to achieve in what timescale. At the same time they need to be praised for stabilising the clubs finances.

At this time I believe our squad is weaker than last year and therefore promotion is a far way off. It would be nice to see a couple of loan players come in, particulary a wide man, forward and another creative midfielder. lets hope. :ayatollah:

Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:25 pm

REMEMBER - Bellars flew to malaysia to have meetings with tg AFTER the season was almost over/over. He wanted to play for Cardiff, and as I understand he tried every avenue to do so. Maybe tg and tan were being sensible rather than pay over the odds on a gamble.....

Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:28 pm

gabbs wrote:I really doubt that we will achieve promotion this season,

this season is a lot different than last as we have a lot more quality clubs in the league with chances of promotion even slimmer than last season.

really? we have a stronger defence and far superior midfield now to that of last year. the only place we need to sort is an attacker, i personally dont think miller is up to it and cant fathom why malky has blown so much on him. earnie is a great signing and i reckon rudy is too. lets not forget chopra was awful last season, barely rememberable even. and jay just sulked and was mainly useless for that 4 months. bellers and rambo are the only reason we had hope last year. a good strikere on loan is pivotol i reckon.

Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:13 pm

i dont think MM has much money left but if we put i bid of 2mil + in for goodwillie after getting miller there should be atleast 1 mil left to get 1or 2 in the door tonight. :?

I thought carl and annis where not saying much because they where asked not to but by the looks of it there was just f*ck all to say :lol: :lol:

And as for bellars i only just wish he kept his mouth shut last season when he said he will be hear next season even if he has to play for free & them man city offers a free trans and we offer 30k a week and he f*cks off to liverpool :roll: :roll: .

CITY LEGEND MY ARSE.

After his 2 year contact at liverpool what good will his bad legs be to us then. :(

Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:36 pm

Unbelievable some of our 'fans'

...a month ago the majority were saying they were happy to see us
consolidate, and that a top 6-8 finish would be a good start for Malky.

Now... hes blowing it, the Malaysians dont care, blah blah blah

We have the most childish, fickle fans in this division by a country mile.

I'm gutted. I believed Malky would be able to spend a few million, but whatever
the reason they are not throwing money his way... this club is moving forward.

Our Defence will be as strong as any team in this division

Ditto the midfield

We are only lacking cohesion up front. But i think we'll get there

FFS stop LOOKING for reasons to slag off the club you all profess to love!!!

Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:37 pm

we have less big name individuals but a better team in my opinion.i honestly believe this

out- bellamy,bothroyd,chopra,oli,burke,JLS,JET and most importantly jones and his management team
in-miller,earnshaw,cowie,taylor,gunnarsson,kiss,gestede,mason,turner,conway

plus we have a reinvigoarted peter wittingham,super kev,huds and a couple of the academy boys looking to step up

i dont think we are in trouble and cardiff will surprise a lot of doubters thuis season,. keep the faith :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:37 pm

taffyapple wrote:Unbelievable some of our 'fans'

Ditto the midfield

another excellent post by you sir :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:01 pm

englishbluebird wrote:

Ditto the midfield

another excellent post by you sir :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

cheers bra!!

Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:03 pm

Taffy I agree, but I'm worried about the huge lack of debth, think Parkin us going to frozen out, otherwise why offer him to Coventry knowing we would have bought turner anyway.

We just simply don't have enough impact players on the bench / squad to change games... Think about it, were 1-0 nil down 10 mins to play, he ain't got nobody, I think rudi and Mason will be tremendous players fo the club, but we need QUALITY...1-2 quality players and id be dead chuffed..... Loans didn't work last year

Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:12 pm

caerdydd_78 wrote:Taffy I agree, but I'm worried about the huge lack of debth, think Parkin us going to frozen out, otherwise why offer him to Coventry knowing we would have bought turner anyway.

We just simply don't have enough impact players on the bench / squad to change games... Think about it, were 1-0 nil down 10 mins to play, he ain't got nobody, I think rudi and Mason will be tremendous players fo the club, but we need QUALITY...1-2 quality players and id be dead chuffed..... Loans didn't work last year

Mate, without another striker, i doubt we will challenge for promotion.
Other than that, our squad is as strong now defensively as most, and
our midfield is probably the best in the division. I wanted us to get a
good striker in, cos Miller and Earnie aint gonna work, i was one of those
who thought we could go up. But if we dont, if the owners have decided
to concentrate the majority of their financial effort into consolidating
Cardiff City as a going concern. To stabilise and bulid strong foundations
for the future??? then i'l put my disappointment to one side and support
them and Malky 100%.

The idea that Tan and Co have come here to make a fast buck has already
been proved to be a load of SHITE

Yet still the cry baby "i pays my money and i want it NOW" brigade continue
to slag the Club off.

I suspect they are mainly young kids who have never lived in the real world

If they arent... then God help us when THEIR kids grow up :lol:

Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:21 pm

Guys have a bit of patience - We have what appears a much better defence and midfield now than last season and we don't have a league game for 11 more days by which time the loan window will be open. I have no doubt Malky has 1 or 2 loanees lined up who will be in before or just after the Donny game that will make us a much stronger unit.

Everyone keeps banging on about us getting shot of 12 players but we have 10 new ones in and aside from Jay and Bellamy I think the other players we have in are as good if not better than the players we have lost. Added to that the emergence of 2/3 youngsters then a couple of loanees in and we'll be in great shape. :ayatollah:

Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:21 pm

Thank f**k you got here vefore me Taffy. I really wonder at times.

Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:31 pm

Taffy is god :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:49 pm

Blackwood_Bluebird wrote:
fred keenor wrote:Our playing budget must have been cut in half.

just a right winger.. we dont have one...

Except for Conway.

Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:57 pm

well said mate the doom and gloom merchants dont take long to come out of woodwork

Ditto the midfield

Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:09 pm

Bloody hell what a numpty you are.. to even consider promotion this season having lost so many players from last season makes me really question some peoples sanity and mindset. FF's realistically if you had an ounce of sense you were realise this is going to be a year of consolidation and a top ten finish and we've done well anything else is a bonus, but obviously some people think Malky and the team are going to shit miracles.. GET FECKIN REAL...!! and then you say you feel we had more quality in the team last year... well no shit sherlock did you work that out all on your own...!! Dear God some people are truely clueless...!! :shock:

Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:20 pm

Phantom Of The Chopra wrote:

Bloody hell what a numpty you are.. to even consider promotion this season having lost so many players from last season makes me really question some peoples sanity and mindset. FF's realistically if you had an ounce of sense you were realise this is going to be a year of consolidation and a top ten finish and we've done well anything else is a bonus, but obviously some people think Malky and the team are going to shit miracles.. GET FECKIN REAL...!! and then you say you feel we had more quality in the team last year... well no shit sherlock did you work that out all on your own...!! Dear God some people are truely clueless...!! :shock:

Good post. Cos i was one of the few that DID think we could go up this
season. Most said consolidation was our realistic aim.

I STILL feel (particularly after the Turner signing) that one more striker
in more of a target man/hold the ball up role, and maybe one more wide
man as cover, could see us challenge for promotion!!

However, if thats not to be. Then f**k me i'm still happy with the position
we are in

Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:46 pm

caerdydd_78 wrote:Taffy I agree, but I'm worried about the huge lack of debth, think Parkin us going to frozen out, otherwise why offer him to Coventry knowing we would have bought turner anyway.

if we were one nil down under jones with 10 minutes left we would have lost 2 nil
the one thing malky has brought is that extra level of fitness and desire which will turn those 1 nil downs into draws or better
i use west ham as a classic example last year we would be the team conceding in the last minute and not scoring the winner like miller did

Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:51 pm

gabbs wrote:

well obviously there happy coz they have not spent feck all and lost 12players like ive said above otherwise the jays,chops,burkes would be still here under contract so wheres the drive for the money back and the prem psuh? thats my point there aint any and signings have proved that :(

Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:04 pm

bluebird1977 wrote:
gabbs wrote:

well obviously there happy coz they have not spent feck all and lost 12players like ive said above otherwise the jays,chops,burkes would be still here under contract so wheres the drive for the money back and the prem psuh? thats my point there aint any and signings have proved that :(

Lost twelve big salaries!!

And of those 12, can you please name ONE that was worth every penny last season?

Great business by the Club

Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:49 am

taffyapple wrote:

Mate, without another striker, i doubt we will challenge for promotion.
Other than that, our squad is as strong now defensively as most, and
our midfield is probably the best in the division. I wanted us to get a
good striker in, cos Miller and Earnie aint gonna work, i was one of those
who thought we could go up. But if we dont, if the owners have decided
to concentrate the majority of their financial effort into consolidating
Cardiff City as a going concern. To stabilise and bulid strong foundations
for the future??? then i'l put my disappointment to one side and support
them and Malky 100%.

The idea that Tan and Co have come here to make a fast buck has already
been proved to be a load of SHITE

Yet still the cry baby "i pays my money and i want it NOW" brigade continue
to slag the Club off.

I suspect they are mainly young kids who have never lived in the real world

If they arent... then God help us when THEIR kids grow up :lol:

I think you're spot on when you say they are kids. They clearly don't recall playing in the dungeon in front of 2,500 when signing Pat Heard was big news!!!

I expect the team we've assembled to go out an compete with everyone in this division. West Ham aside, no one is massively strong. Leicester have spent a fortune but I don't think they'll gel quickly enough. Southampton and Brighton have had great starts but they'll hit hard times duringthe season. Reading have sold a few of their best players. Boro are looking tidy at the moment but are they that strong?

Every season starts with people saying how strong the Championship is but I think it's like previous seasons where everyone can beat anyone else.

If the team work as hard for each other as they have so far we'll be in the play-offs I think.

UP THE CITY.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:00 pm

Ditto the midfield

Some sanity at last. Ignore it mate-most Cardiff fans who are young enough to post on the internet aren't old enough to have a proper opinion