Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Cardiff Development Centres

Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:34 pm

Just a question do you think these centres are run correctly as what is suppose to happen is players are picked from the centres and moved to the academy for trials.
Im sorry but this is not happening and players are just going straight up to the academy without going to the centres which to me means its just a money scam any other thoughts on this matter. :ayatollah:

Re: Cardiff Development Centres

Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:45 pm

Lot's of questions myself about the development centres, the way they teach the kids to play is different to normal football e.g kicking from throw ins etc. in some cases the coaches just letting the kids play by themselves during a match as opposed to shouting instructions to them like you would in mini football and seemingly a bit disorganised. There doesn't seem to be much chance to get a trial for the Academy but I do know of kids who get them. It may depend on age group and if the coaches feel they are good enough to send through. Yes it does seem like a money scam but look at it like this the cost is similar to attending a soccer school, there are only a limited number of kids who all want to play for Cardiff or at least play football, they are all of a good ability and the same age so will get more out of it. At the end of the day the kids who go to these development centres do stand out more when they play with their clubs they seem to have a better touch and have more time on the ball.

Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:46 pm

Could you explain a bit more what a development centre is i thought it was part of the Academy where you develop your football?

Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:50 pm

I agree with you,it's all about the money I know a few boys that have been in the development for 3yrs plus, they have their trials every so often (to keep them interested), and nothing ever comes of it. after that lenth of time in the development they should know if the boys are good enough to move up to the next stage. So yes i think it is all about the money :shock: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:51 pm

The Development Centres are regional training centres where kids are scouted by various means and trained up in the hope that some will be suitable for trials at the academy. There are regional centres as far afield as Port Talbot and Camarthen as well as the Vale, Bridgend and the Valleys.

Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:14 pm

Blueyeti wrote:The Development Centres are regional training centres where kids are scouted by various means and trained up in the hope that some will be suitable for trials at the academy. There are regional centres as far afield as Port Talbot and Camarthen as well as the Vale, Bridgend and the Valleys.

Thanks , and reading from the thread you have to pay too ?

Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:15 pm

so i take it these days you must pay for your lads training to play in the development centres for a chance to get a trial with the academy ?

when my lad got spotted he started off in the development centre first then went on to play in the academy . we didn't have to pay back then , that was about 6-7 years ago tho .

Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:16 pm

Pontyclun Blue wrote:I agree with you,it's all about the money I know a few boys that have been in the development for 3yrs plus, they have their trials every so often (to keep them interested), and nothing ever comes of it. after that lenth of time in the development they should know if the boys are good enough to move up to the next stage. So yes i think it is all about the money :shock: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Just building up their hopes ? thats how it sounds as well as City taking the money by the sounds , how much does it cost ?

Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:24 pm

They have over 800 kids in all these development centres who pay £25 a term what i disagree with is kids are just jumping straight up into the academy and not going to the development centres first.
Parents pay a lot of money if there son is not good enough they should be told and the player should be dropped and a new one sent in just like Swansea do.
As for the standad from what ive seen its not good i run a local team and these players would not get in my side. :ayatollah:

Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:33 pm

birchblue wrote:They have over 800 kids in all these development centres who pay £25 a term what i disagree with is kids are just jumping straight up into the academy and not going to the development centres first.
Parents pay a lot of money if there son is not good enough they should be told and the player should be dropped and a new one sent in just like Swansea do.
As for the standad from what ive seen its not good i run a local team and these players would not get in my side. :ayatollah:

Sounds a money spinner for Club then, or scam for the kid/parent.

Mind you i would imagine its common sense the better players go straight through mind . Can't see the advantage of these centres really 800 kids aren't going to fit into an Academy. And it's not morally right to set kids up to think they are going to play for City or be a pro !

Whats the matter with a scout seeing a kid and taking him for an Academy trial ?

Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:38 pm

that £25 a term certainly wasn't around back a few years ago when Sam was at the helm . Sam even came to some of the junior games on sunday mornings back then too :ayatollah:

where do the cardiff development centre run from these days ? used to be sofia gardens opposite the cricket stadium

i,ve said it often enough professional clubs shouldn't sign players under the age of 13 anyway . let them play with there junior clubs till then .

Very few players who go through development centres / academys actually make it professional by the age of 16-18 . Not 1 single player who was with the cardiff city junior academy a few years ago with my lad is with cardiff city now . such a cut throat business

Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:40 pm

MOZZER1 wrote:that £25 a term certainly wasn't around back a few years ago when Sam was at the helm . Sam even came to some of the junior games on sunday mornings back then too :ayatollah:

where do the cardiff development centre run from these days ? used to be sofia gardens opposite the cricket stadium

i,ve said it often enough professional clubs shouldn't sign players under the age of 13 anyway . let them play with there junior clubs till then .

Very few players who go through development centres / academys actually make it professional by the age of 16-18 . Not 1 single player who was with the cardiff city junior academy a few years ago with my lad is with cardiff city now . such a cut throat business

What are the local club leagues like these days , would they not be better off playing for local clubs. 800 kids not allowed to play for local clubs thats madness.

Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:40 pm

Gavinatthegarage wrote:
birchblue wrote:They have over 800 kids in all these development centres who pay £25 a term what i disagree with is kids are just jumping straight up into the academy and not going to the development centres first.

Mind you i would imagine its common sense the better players go straight through mind . Can't see the advantage of these centres really 800 kids aren't going to fit into an Academy. And it's not morally right to set kids up to think they are going to play for City or be a pro !

Whats the matter with a scout seeing a kid and taking him for an Academy trial ?

Nothing wrong with a scout putting a kid straighy up for a trial but the idea of these centres were for players to get scouted and then assesed before having a trial which is not the case so why have 800 kids trying to live a dream that won't happen.

Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:43 pm

birchblue wrote:
Gavinatthegarage wrote:

Nothing wrong with a scout putting a kid straighy up for a trial but the idea of these centres were for players to get scouted and then assesed before having a trial which is not the case so why have 800 kids trying to live a dream that won't happen.

Clearly money it seems. Seems the idea is just to rake in as much as possible.

Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:43 pm

Gavinatthegarage wrote:
MOZZER1 wrote:that £25 a term certainly wasn't around back a few years ago when Sam was at the helm . Sam even came to some of the junior games on sunday mornings back then too :ayatollah:

What are the local club leagues like these days , would they not be better off playing for local clubs. 800 kids not allowed to play for local clubs thats madness.

They still can play for there local sides its only a development centre.

Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:45 pm

birchblue wrote:
Gavinatthegarage wrote:

They still can play for there local sides its only a development centre.

my mistake - thanks for correcting me , thought i had read that they couldnt.

Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:46 pm

Yes still sophie gardens your right by the time they are 16 they are on there way. :ayatollah:

Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:46 pm

gavin they can still play if they are in the development centre but not if they play in a COE / Academy .

if they sign a player at 10 years of age to an academy for instance they can't play for there local side . it happened to my lad back then

Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:50 pm

Its such a shame for a kid who as been there from an early age to miss out on playing with his mates on a saturday morning and not playing a competative game.

Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:53 pm

MOZZER1 wrote:gavin they can still play if they are in the development centre but not if they play in a COE / Academy .

if they sign a player at 10 years of age to an academy for instance they can't play for there local side . it happened to my lad back then

Madness. Whats the reasoning for that ?

Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:56 pm

Gavinatthegarage wrote:
MOZZER1 wrote:gavin they can still play if they are in the development centre but not if they play in a COE / Academy .

Madness. Whats the reasoning for that ?

They train 3 days a week and the younger ones always train on a Saturday plus they play on a sunday.

Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:00 pm

you actually sign a contract and within the contract it states they own the player . 9 years old is the youngest they can actually sign a player professionally . At 8 they can start them off in a development centre but not sign them

madness at that age isn't it especially when so few actually make it by the time they're 16 .

Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:03 pm

yes - madness . Sounds like a meat market.

Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:41 am

my son goes and most of the time its a waist of time he plays right wing and that's the position he was spotted in by City scouts.

When he plays in the in the development centre they just play anywhere often arguing between them selves who is playing where.

He plays out of position most of the time and it shows when he plays this to me is wrong .Citys view on this is they are to young to play in positions that is a load of crap .I coach under 10 kids which is my sons age and they all play in positions.

If he does get to play out wide often 2 players play in the same position which is a joke.

All the kids go for goal all the time instead of playing football often kids are in space and waiting for the ball only for a kid to go for goal at the half way line.They dont stop the game to teach em.

When i questioned this process after getting so frustrated with it I was told the kids are to young for positions and that was that.

I am by no means an expert on coaching kids football but in my opinion the development centres are a bit of a waste of time and that is a real shame.I no a kid who scored 80 goals for his club who hardly ever plays up front for the center and when played at left back looks utter shit and as a result has been moved back a level .

Its hard to stand and watch most of the time and a real shame and most parents I talk to feel exactly the same way and I no people who have taken there kids out

Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:56 am

Gavinatthegarage wrote:

£20,000 of income to manage development centres across South Wales can hardly be described as a "money spinner for the Club". Indeed, I would not be surprised if total costs are not even covered. In my experience, you hand out freebies like this and quite a few don't show. Get those involved to make a relatively small contribution and attendance and commitment tend to be higher if you can demonstrate the quality. My previous company used to offer free training/education to our clients. We found that attendance actually rose when we introduced a modest fee. This was because participants associated the small fee with better quality and were less likely to cancel or not show.

Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:57 am

Uccello Azzurro wrote:
Gavinatthegarage wrote:

£20,000 of income to manage development centres across South Wales can hardly be described as a "money spinner for the Club". Indeed, I would not be surprised if total costs are not even covered. In my experience, you hand out freebies like this and quite a few don't show. Get those involved to make a relatively small contribution and attendance and commitment tend to be higher if you can demonstrate the quality. My previous company used to offer free training/education to our clients. We found that attendance actually rose when we introduced a modest fee. This was because participants associated the small fee with better quality and were less likely to cancel or not show.

Sorry when i meant £25 a term thats not all season i think in total there are at least 5 terms in a season which is £100,000. :ayatollah:

Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:38 am

Well im sorry i need to disagree here my lad was 8 when he started for the acc he has just turned 9 and have been moved up to the adc which is the next level up the one before the academy he only started playing when he was 8 and now he is a good player
the development centre has realy helped him he has also been selected for cardiff school boys within the space of a year
:ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:12 am

the govenor wrote:Well im sorry i need to disagree here my lad was 8 when he started for the acc he has just turned 9 and have been moved up to the adc which is the next level up the one before the academy he only started playing when he was 8 and now he is a good player
the development centre has realy helped him he has also been selected for cardiff school boys within the space of a year
:ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Great news Cardiff schools is a great set up well done to your boy i have not said the development centres are bad its just the system is wrong in my opinion. :ayatollah:

Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:26 am

The current rate is £40 for 12 weeks, after which the kids are assessed and those who do not make the grade released. A few of the coaches also do soccer schools like the Spanish soccer school. Personally I think the main difference is like I said before the kids get more attention from the coaches and do develop more, as long as the parents remember that just because their kids are in the development centre they aren't necessarily going to get a professional contract but even 1 season could mean that if they keep playing football in the future it could mean the difference between sunday league and welsh league football, not glamorous but something I suppose.