Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Why are we signing a centre back!?

Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:39 pm

There is simply no need to sign this Ben Turner. In my opinion Gerrard and Hudson are working completely fine together. For those that disagree then we always have a solid defender in Dekel Keinan who can simply just be slotted in. Should he fail, Darcy Blake can slot in just fine, as can Gabor Gypes. He will be the 6th centre back at the club and if its true that Parkin is involved in the deal it makes even less sense. We are lacking options up front and in my mind Miller and Earnie are not working. Im not saying Parkin is the man to look to but he is an option. We are lacking up front and for 750,000 plus Parkin I really think that we can do better than a guy that hasnt played since November.

You have got to question Malky's thinking here. :ayatollah:

Re: Why are we signing a centre back!?

Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:01 pm

bluebirdtom16 wrote:There is simply no need to sign this Ben Turner. In my opinion Gerrard and Hudson are working completely fine together. For those that disagree then we always have a solid defender in Dekel Keinan who can simply just be slotted in. Should he fail, Darcy Blake can slot in just fine, as can Gabor Gypes. He will be the 6th centre back at the club and if its true that Parkin is involved in the deal it makes even less sense. We are lacking options up front and in my mind Miller and Earnie are not working. Im not saying Parkin is the man to look to but he is an option. We are lacking up front and for 750,000 plus Parkin I really think that we can do better than a guy that hasnt played since November.

The majority of supporters would actually say that Malky is spot on,
and that we do not have a decent central defensive pairing amongst
the defenders we have. Your right about Miller and Earnie, but Parkin
is just not good enough at this level.

So we need a defender
We need a striker

Parkin, Gypes and Taiwo are surplus to requirements

Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:12 pm

I don't like criticising people's posts, but I sometimes wonder if people see the same side as me on match days.

Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:25 pm

I don't like criticising people's posts, but I sometimes wonder if people see the same side as me on match days.

Just saying what i'm seeing mate :ayatollah:

Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:35 pm

It's a matter of an opionon, but in mine we defo need a CB. Hudson our No.1 CB but Gerrard not good enough alongside him, great backup but need a quality defender and MM seems not to like Keinan

Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:43 pm

It's a matter of an opionon, but in mine we defo need a CB. Hudson our No.1 CB but Gerrard not good enough alongside him, great backup but need a quality defender and MM seems not to like Keinan

fair point, do you not think we could do better than someone that hasnt played since november though?

Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:56 pm

My uncle has a season ticket and has been to every away league game so far this season. He's been watching football for about 40 years. He says Hudson was awesome on Saturday, but he didn't say that much about Gerrard. Who am I to disagree with him :lol: I frequently back the defence anyway, so I don't see anything wrong with it.

Someone made a great point about the defence recently - that most teams in the league will have one big berk of a striker up front and one half-decent one :lol: Which is pretty accurate really !

Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:59 pm

Ben Turner a good player but he is out until end of September can't see how we can sign him and always a doubt about a player getting back to the same levels after a major knee injury - so no!

Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:01 pm

yeah im worried if this could be another chris riggott situation

Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:02 pm

My uncle has a season ticket and has been to every away league game so far this season. He's been watching football for about 40 years. He says Hudson was awesome on Saturday, but he didn't say that much about Gerrard. Who am I to disagree with him I frequently back the defence anyway, so I don't see anything wrong with it.

Someone made a great point about the defence recently - that most teams in the league will have one big berk of a striker up front and one half-decent one Which is pretty accurate really !

i agree with you, dont have a problem with our defence. its certainly better than last years

Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:10 pm

i just wish we would bring in that little bit of quality upfront and in midfield... we still need a right winger...

although cowie is playing superb id rather see him in the middle...

we still need someone who can change a game in an instant..

Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:10 pm

we need a centre half as we do not currently have 2 that are good enough to get us promoted.

end of debate.

Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:13 pm

i just wish we would bring in that little bit of quality upfront and in midfield... we still need a right winger...

although cowie is playing superb id rather see him in the middle...

we still need someone who can change a game in an instant..

exactly. maybe bellamy is the answer?

Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:49 pm

because we cant defend ? hope this lad has some pace.

Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:17 pm

bluebirdtom16 wrote:There is simply no need to sign this Ben Turner. In my opinion Gerrard and Hudson are working completely fine together. For those that disagree then we always have a solid defender in Dekel Keinan who can simply just be slotted in. Should he fail, Darcy Blake can slot in just fine, as can Gabor Gypes. He will be the 6th centre back at the club and if its true that Parkin is involved in the deal it makes even less sense. We are lacking options up front and in my mind Miller and Earnie are not working. Im not saying Parkin is the man to look to but he is an option. We are lacking up front and for 750,000 plus Parkin I really think that we can do better than a guy that hasnt played since November.

Oh dear God are you serious .... our centre halfs are not good enough... no pace, can't bring the ball out of defence, get out muscle way to easily and prone to major cock ups and giving sloppy goals away. to be honest I'd get shot of Gypes, Hudson and Gerrard. And Parkin i'm sorry is not an option he's bloody useless .

Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:18 am

Agree, we dont have a top class central defender on the books. For the last 2 seasons our DEFENCE has cost us promotion.

Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:27 am

Because Gerrard,Keinen and Gypes are shite thats why :lol:

Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:31 pm

tommo blue wrote:Agree, we dont have a top class central defender on the books. For the last 2 seasons our DEFENCE has cost us promotion.

The inconsistency of selection of the defence has been the undoing I think. Last season there were so many different back fours and partnerships. I seem to recall McNaughton and Blake playing in every position across the back four during last term. That's just crazy, plain and simple !

Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:52 pm

We definitely need at least 1 more defender, maybe even 2 to cover and replace 1 that is on maybe the way out? Not saying anyone is but Gyepes/Naylor are not considered first team so we need at least 1 to cover them and maybe another if we eventually ship them out.

Also the best form of defence is attack, and with us not firing on all cylinders yet and not outscoring the opposition (other than Hudders) then we deffo need to tighten our defence and stop leaking goals!

Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:57 pm

I think a lot of people are missing the point here.Just as DJ built his own side so will Malky.Iv'e seen this lad play afew times and Ifeel hes younger and better than we've got already.And its fair to say that if it wasn't for his injury he'd be out of our league(pricewise).For me comparing him to the Riggot situation is a non-starter as I can't believe we would sign anyone on a long term contract if their was the slightest doubt about his fitness.I'd love to see this guy in a caediff shirt and as much as I would like a strker and a wide man too I feel the need to cut out the habit that we seem to have when it comes to conceeding silly goals.

Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:09 pm

I think a lot of people are missing the point here.Just as DJ built his own side so will Malky.Iv'e seen this lad play afew times and Ifeel hes younger and better than we've got already.And its fair to say that if it wasn't for his injury he'd be out of our league(pricewise).For me comparing him to the Riggot situation is a non-starter as I can't believe we would sign anyone on a long term contract if their was the slightest doubt about his fitness.I'd love to see this guy in a caediff shirt and as much as I would like a strker and a wide man too I feel the need to cut out the habit that we seem to have when it comes to conceeding silly goals.

you'd love to see him even though he'd rather a move to Birmingham?

Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:17 pm

bluebirdtom16 wrote:

Where is your link to anything that says he'd rather move to Brum??

Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:35 pm

bluebirdtom16 wrote:

No quotes from player and so what? You don't think the vast majority of players would prefer other moves other than to Cardiff?
It's not a playground now where you pick alternatively it's about money for everyone and why would his team be his preferred choice?
Carragher was everton but one of the most comitted players you will see....

Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:06 am

No quotes from player and so what? You don't think the vast majority of players would prefer other moves other than to Cardiff?
It's not a playground now where you pick alternatively it's about money for everyone and why would his team be his preferred choice?
Carragher was everton but one of the most comitted players you will see....

I know what you're saying and it is true, Im just concerned that if he's that keen to join Birmingham should they come calling when hes a Cardiff player he might really want to move in the opposite direction. Apparently he is holding out for a move to them

Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:08 am

Because ours are sh!t and we are conceding far to many goals !!!!!

Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:12 am

Living overseas I obviously don't get to watch City as often as most of you but out of curiosity what exactly did Keinan do wrong last season other than have a (very) bad game in the semi against Reading? Up until that point he seemed to be going really well and actually used to be quite dangerous at set pieces.

Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:30 am

Bondi i agree Keinan is a decent player but like was said earlier DJ built his own team and Mackay's going to build his own i think we've got to trust him.

As for Turner "not being committed to city" because he supports Birmingham and would obviously prefer a move to his boyhood club is just rubbish loads of players we have as well as for other clubs, have boyhood clubs and all of these seems committed enough. I for one hope we sign Turner as he seems like a good prospect. :ayatollah:

Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:09 am

tommo blue wrote:Agree, we dont have a top class central defender on the books. For the last 2 seasons our DEFENCE has cost us promotion.

exactly exactly exactly exactly

but noone seems to realise this