Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Last Night and the Canton Stand

Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:38 am

Fair play to the Canton Stand and those in the back few rows - didn't stop all night. The Poznan, Conga etc - hilarious. Fantastic support.

Well done to the club with the pricing for yesterdays game - they got that right.

The team:

Heaton: You would have thought he would have spent the summer improving on his kicking, but nope - still very poor.

Back 4 generally was pretty dodgy. Goal aside, Gypes was particularly dodgy.

My one major disappointment from last night was the lack of quality youth players on show. In fairness, Ralls looked useful - but that was it. It is a shame that much of our second string are journeymen players in their late 20s/early 30s.

What is going on in the academy? We should be producing more players capable of playing in the Championship (or a league cup game vs a League 1 side). I know some of you will come back with Ramsey, Ledley and Matthews as examples of players that have come through, but we are a team that won't/can't splash the cash on big transfers and if we aren't going to do that there has to be an even greater emphasis on bringing through young, hungry players who are desperate to make a name for themselves. Players like Naylor, Parkin, Miller etc have been around the block a few times and are simply in the game now to earn as much as they can before the hang up their boots.

To end on a positive note, well done again to the "Canton Choir" :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: Last Night and the Canton Stand

Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:11 am

You weren't looking in the right direction mate!!

What I saw was a young , vibrant, hungry , dynamic. team taking shape.
The youngsters we have seen this year is much improved on the amount we saw last year..and they are ours!! :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:25 am

For me we weren't all that last night.

We were quite fortunate to be 2 up within 20 mins as we hadn't done much up until then. After going 2 up we thought the game was won and eased up even more. Defensively we were generally a shambles second half. Remember we were playing a League 1 team.

All very good entertainment - don't get me wrong - not too happy with the overall performance, but pleased that we dug in and got the result in the end.

Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:29 am

Jonesy99 wrote:For me we weren't all that last night.

We were quite fortunate to be 2 up within 20 mins as we hadn't done much up until then. After going 2 up we thought the game was won and eased up even more. Defensively we were generally a shambles second half. Remember we were playing a League 1 team.

All very good entertainment - don't get me wrong - not too happy with the overall performance, but pleased that we dug in and got the result in the end.

We made big changes last night,huddersfield made 1 changes.i for 1 is happy

Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:21 am

Huddersfield only just missed out on promotion last season, so if Malky had used too many Academy players, we’d most likely have lost!

As Malky had said prior to the tie last night, he wanted to go on a cup run, playing so many younger players, would have been detrimental to that plan! :ayatollah:

Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:18 pm

Totally agree, well done Canton stand last night, you made more noise than when its full, and you kept going right till the end of extra time. I thought you created a good atmosphere in an empty stadium.
Where were all the so called loyal fans last night 6000 out of 18000 season ticket holders. You watch if we pull out a top team in the next round they will all be moaning about the distribution of tickets. I think everyone who turned up last night should be get the choice to buy 2 tickets each if we do pull out a big team next round at home.
Once again great win and great singing from the Canton stand, thoroughly enjoyed the night.

Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:46 pm

Got a picture of the canton stand last night but it wont upload as it saying its to big any idea how to resize it to put on here?
well done to the 6'800 that turned up last night :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:21 pm

canton blue wrote:Totally agree, well done Canton stand last night, you made more noise than when its full, and you kept going right till the end of extra time. I thought you created a good atmosphere in an empty stadium.
Where were all the so called loyal fans last night 6000 out of 18000 season ticket holders. You watch if we pull out a top team in the next round they will all be moaning about the distribution of tickets. I think everyone who turned up last night should be get the choice to buy 2 tickets each if we do pull out a big team next round at home.
Once again great win and great singing from the Canton stand, thoroughly enjoyed the night.

I've been to every home game this season fella, also burnley saturday just gone and pompey this saturday .... a £10 ticket quickly becomes 30/40 quid once ive stuck juice in my car to get up there and also a pint or 2,which is why i didnt go last nite

Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:26 pm

I was one of the few hundred at the back of the Canton last night, best atmosphere down the CCS so far :lol: :ayatollah:

Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:46 pm

Daniel_PT_blues wrote:
canton blue wrote:Totally agree, well done Canton stand last night, you made more noise than when its full, and you kept going right till the end of extra time. I thought you created a good atmosphere in an empty stadium.

I've been to every home game this season fella, also burnley saturday just gone and pompey this saturday .... a £10 ticket quickly becomes 30/40 quid once ive stuck juice in my car to get up there and also a pint or 2,which is why i didnt go last nite

So if we were to pull a top team out of the hat, your saying you couldn't afford to go to the midweek game.

Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:11 pm

When i do 2 expensive away games in 2 weeks yes i couldnt afford to go