Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Cardiff City boss Malky Mackay searching for new striker

Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:34 pm

CARDIFF City boss Malky Mackay has admitted he is in the market for another striker – but he said it may not be the target man many believe he needs.

Question marks have been raised over the current front partnership of Robert Earnshaw and Kenny Miller with many believing the pair are too similar to work together.

Some think the Bluebirds need a big man up front, but Mackay pointed to his time as manager at Watford last season, and in particular prolific marksman Danny Graham, now at Premier League Swansea City, as proof that was not always necessary.

“I can understand it. But I believe the dynamics of two good players playing together is not a problem,” said Mackay.

“At my last club we certainly did not have a target man, but we had a striker who scored 26 goals.

“It’s about having the quality. We are going to look for one who has the quality as good as you can get within the finances available and from who is available.

“There’s only so many out there who can play Championship football. It is a small pond you are fishing in.”

Mackay is hoping to bring in up to four new faces before the transfer window closes at the end of this month or during next month’s loan window.

The Bluebirds entertain League One Huddersfield tonight in the second round of the Carling Cup with Mackay using the opportunity to rest some players and look at others within his squad. After the first round win at Oxford, which saw Mackay lose eight players to international calls, the Scot said he would also be utilising the club’s youngsters again tonight.

“It was bizarre the last round with eight internationals taken from us,” he said.

“We are looking at a couple of defenders and I’m definitely considering resting people ahead of Portsmouth on Saturday,” he said.

“We’ve had a fair amount of games now. With the size of the squad we have it has taken a fair toll on them.”

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballna ... z1Vs2VcAfp