Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Libya situation

Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:40 pm

What are everyone's thoughts? Do people think we have done right here?

Re: Libya situation

Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:24 pm

We've stayed pretty much out of it and brought are people home who we're out there spot on i think pal leave them to sort there problems out like we should of done a few times. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:28 pm

Llantrisant Blue. wrote:We've stayed pretty much out of it and brought are people home who we're out there spot on i think pal leave them to sort there problems out like we should of done a few times. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Stayed out of it? How? By bombing shit out of them for 5 months.

Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:29 pm

I thought that was the yanks and the UN??

Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:30 pm

Llantrisant Blue. wrote:I thought that was the yanks and the UN??

Nah us and France predominantly.

Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:33 pm

Ahh right didn't know fully i only started to watch it proper when we we're taking people home... i thought it was just the U.N.

Then again they we're killing alot of there own people and blowing up things themselfs gaddafis lot so could look at it that way we haven't turned it into our war and let them too it most of the time rebels have gone forward.

Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:48 pm

maccydee wrote:
Llantrisant Blue. wrote:We've stayed pretty much out of it and brought are people home who we're out there spot on i think pal leave them to sort there problems out like we should of done a few times. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

We with the Yanks bombed Afghan then let the Northern Alliance do the ground work. Why becuase we knew that was all that was needed.

The same principle applied the Libya. The difference here to Afghan is that it was rebels fighting on the ground, no military discipline unlike the Northern Alliance in Afghan. That is why it took a bit longer to achieve the same result.

So were we right you ask? I would say yes.

Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:13 pm

I would say yes we were but people will say we cannot afford it but we have our freedom I think it is only right to help others get there's. Well done to the "rebels" for standing up and fighting for what they believed in.

Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:40 pm

maccydee wrote:

£260 million for the British taxpayer as of 23 June. Equivalent to 0.55% of defence budget for 2011/12.

Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:33 pm

Regime change, yet again. Its supposed to be illegal!!

Who is to say that Gaddafi's troops and supporters werent in the right??

Not our business

Else why arent we in Zimbabwe

End of thread

Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:11 pm

taffyapple wrote:Regime change, yet again. Its supposed to be illegal!!

Not our business

End of thread

Does Zimbabwe have Oil ? Everyone knows the real reasons why we are in there.Nato was desperate to take over so it could get oil at "discounted price.

Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:17 pm

oil is the reasons why USA go to war :evil:

Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:30 pm

Gaddafi's launched SCUD'S now.

Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:36 pm

maccydee wrote:What are everyone's thoughts? Do people think we have done right here?

Neil, I wish we had stayed totally out of it, I can only see their country having tribal wars with each other when this is over and they will then need us to be involved more.

Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:43 pm

maccydee wrote:

Ummm..bombing the shit out of em? No...we were help clearing the path for the rebels by taking out tanks, vehicles etc, providing key information and training the rebels (even though they haven't said that but it's true)

Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:51 pm

At the end of the day, something needed to be done. In this day and age, as a triple A country, we will always get involved. But the good are prevailing at last by the looks of things.

Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:52 pm

Good to see people rise up against their governments.

Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:54 pm

If it's for a just cause, yes. Not like the t**ts who ruined half the country two weeks ago

Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:00 pm

taffyapple wrote:Regime change, yet again. Its supposed to be illegal!!

Not our business

End of thread

Dave Spot on.

Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:04 pm

It's never quite as simple as that though is it

Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:39 am

right ok there is no right or wrong answer.
Do i agree that libyans are treated unfairly and a new government is needed in libya yes i do.
Does this country have a right to dictate conditions in other countries no it doesnt and even if it did why do we only pick certain countries instead of all of them, why in our opinion some people are considered terrorists and others freedom fighters.
Even if we had the right to pick and choose which countries we help why have we chosen libya one answer to this is oil.
Why do we care about oil well it runs modern day society and without it this planet would grind to a halt. Every empire in history has run on one base product or commodity, in Rome it was grain.
When these empires products or commodities start to run out or you cant produce enough of it empires start to fall apart so they tend to go to extreme lengths to get what they need.
So dont kid yourselves that our government are concerned about the well being of libyans they are more concerned about whether their supply of oil is going to run out.
Our government holds all the cards in the Libya situation with the rebels trying to remove Gaddafi with assitance of Britain not many people across the world will complain and when a new government is elected with alot of gratitude Britain will have a good supply of oil. If the elected goverment starts to fall apart and a civil war starts Britain can start the process again until everybody finds a happy medium.

Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:32 am

Bridgend_bluebird wrote:
maccydee wrote:

Ummm..bombing the shit out of em? No...we were help clearing the path for the rebels by taking out tanks, vehicles etc, providing key information and training the rebels (even though they haven't said that but it's true)

We are bombing the shit out of them. Anything they have that is military and is moving is bombed. Weird way of enforcing a no fly zone in my opinion. That was the UN resolution. No fly zone to protect civilians. Basically we have been close air support for the rebels. We have taken sides.

Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:48 am

]
Bridgend_bluebird wrote:
maccydee wrote:

We are bombing the shit out of them. Anything they have that is military and is moving is bombed. Weird way of enforcing a no fly zone in my opinion. That was the UN resolution. No fly zone to protect civilians. Basically we have been close air support for the rebels. We have taken sides.

Which was the right thing to do IMO. Gadaffi needs to go and the rebels needed our help.

Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:07 am

Bridgend_bluebird wrote:]
Bridgend_bluebird wrote:
maccydee wrote:

Which was the right thing to do IMO. Gadaffi needs to go and the rebels needed our help.

be careful about reading everything you see there are far worse tyrants than Gadaffi in this world and he still harbours a lot of support in Libya. These rebels may have entered Tripoli but they are far from claiming a victory.

Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:09 am

Isn't it just like this Government and the one before it. We go into other Countries and overthrow an Islamic dictatorship, and then we go into Libya and help overthrow there dictatorship and put an Islamic one in instead. Is it me or do you also think Al Qaeda will take advantage of this and we could end up with an even more dangerous situation.
Its all about Oil, and doesn't it make you sick when you see not long ago Obama warmly welcoming Gaddafi to now :? :evil: .
Politics sucks to high heaven thats for sure, as a Country we are broke our armed forces are being broken up. No new recruits as Bridgend Bluebird has pointed out. We get rid of all our bombs (By dropping them all on Libya) but we had to get rid of them because soon enough we wont have anyone left to use em :?

Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:15 am

Nuclearblue wrote:Isn't it just like this Government and the one before it. We go into other Countries and overthrow an Islamic dictatorship, and then we go into Libya and help overthrow there dictatorship and put an Islamic one in instead. Is it me or do you also think Al Qaeda will take advantage of this and we could end up with an even more dangerous situation.
Its all about Oil, and doesn't it make you sick when you see not long ago Obama warmly welcoming Gaddafi to now :? :evil: .
Politics sucks to high heaven thats for sure, as a Country we are broke our armed forces are being broken up. No new recruits as Bridgend Bluebird has pointed out. We get rid of all our bombs (By dropping them all on Libya) but we had to get rid of them because soon enough we wont have anyone left to use em :?

this is some peoples biggest fear about the Libya situation with the chaos that will ensue during the control of an interim government before elections can take place is that the likes of Al Qaeda getting a strong hold in certain regions of Libya and the world will find that with the aid of British air support we have created yet another terrorist stronghold. As long as we have learnt the lessons or Iraq hopefully this will not happen.

Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:20 am

JONNY012697 wrote:
Nuclearblue wrote:Isn't it just like this Government and the one before it. We go into other Countries and overthrow an Islamic dictatorship, and then we go into Libya and help overthrow there dictatorship and put an Islamic one in instead. Is it me or do you also think Al Qaeda will take advantage of this and we could end up with an even more dangerous situation.

this is some peoples biggest fear about the Libya situation with the chaos that will ensue during the control of an interim government before elections can take place is that the likes of Al Qaeda getting a strong hold in certain regions of Libya and the world will find that with the aid of British air support we have created yet another terrorist stronghold. As long as we have learnt the lessons or Iraq hopefully this will not happen.

Al Qaida are already fighting with the rebels. How do you think a group of disorganised rabble managed to fight a well (ish) trained Libyan force? (aside from the NATO bombing of course).

Weirdly we are fighting alongside Al Qaida against someone who was an ally against Al Qaida. Confuses the shite out of me tbh.

Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:26 am

maccydee wrote:
JONNY012697 wrote:

Al Qaida are already fighting with the rebels. How do you think a group of disorganised rabble managed to fight a well (ish) trained Libyan force? (aside from the NATO bombing of course).

Weirdly we are fighting alongside Al Qaida against someone who was an ally against Al Qaida. Confuses the shite out of me tbh.

this links to my earlier quote one mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter, there is no difference between them it just all depends what side you are on, it wasnt that long ago when we considered Al Qaeada to be a strong ally when america had its war on communism.

Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:35 am

As i said Politics stinks to high heaven.

Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:37 am

Nuclearblue wrote:As i said Politics stinks to high heaven.

youve got to admit though its highly entertaining lol