Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Tony Frenandez and Vinvent Tan

Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:25 pm

Indeed, which chairman made these comments?

“One of the reasons that the club was so in debt when I took over was due to transfer dealings caused by managers moving in and out of the club. Every time there was a change in manager millions would be spent on new players and millions would be lost as players were sold. It can't keep on working like that. It is just madness.”

========

My plan and my strategy for Newcastle is different. It has to be. Arsenal is the shining example in England of a sustainable business model. It takes time. It can't be done overnight. Newcastle has therefore set up an extensive scouting system. We look for young players, for players in foreign leagues who everyone does not know about. We try and stay ahead of the competition. We search high and low looking for value, for potential that we can bring on and for players who will allow Newcastle to compete at the very highest level, but who don't cost the earth.”

=========

Interesting read in the link below.

http://swissramble.blogspot.com/2010/12 ... k-and.html

The person behind it even has a nice coloured picture of the clubs reported finances, basedupon legally binding documents submitted.

Given they've not turned a profit since 2005, indeed losses have mounted the last few seasons, I'd suggest citing Newcastle has been teh absolute best argument you could have supplied against your view tbh.

Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:17 pm

Yes, the accounts are online.

Newcastle Utd are turning a profit.

And in what sense are Cardiff City not like Newcastle Utd.

Do they more or less have the same population? Yes.

Are they one club per city? Yes.

Explain how they are not a like? You don't think Cardiff would see a huge increase in ticket sales and shirt sales if we made it into the Prem?

And I'll point out that Ashley has invested 100 million into the club. How much has Tan invested?

A 10 million budget is not a crazy amount of money in terms of returns.

The debts Newcatle Utd owe were made during the Freddy Shepard era, not Sir John Hall.

Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:28 pm

And I was wrong, Ashley has pumped nearly 240 million into the club.

Tan doesn't have to deal with a bunch of high earning players either or pump in anywhere close to 240 million into the club.

The likes of Owen, Duff have left Newcastle.

Only Barton and Smith remain on huge contracts.

Tan more or less has a clean slate to work with and a manager who has a good eye for talent.

Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:30 pm

Big Boss Man wrote:Yes, the accounts are online.

Newcastle Utd are turning a profit.

Which financial year are you referring to? 09/10? Don't think so. 08/09 filed accounts should an operating loss of 37m - red brackets aroung figures mean a loss not a profit... did you actually read the figure?

Do they more or less have the same population? Yes.

Are they one club per city? Yes.

Explain how they are not a like? You don't think Cardiff would see a huge increase in ticket sales and shirt sales if we made it into the Prem?

Would we? Written a business plan for that? I'd suggest we'd see a modest rise, stadium packed for bigger games, same attendances for Wigan, Bolton.

And I'll point out that Ashley has invested 100 million into the club. How much has Tan invested?

Tan has invested a fair whack. Not 100 miliion, but then he's not an idiot like Ashley.

A 10 million budget is not a crazy amount of money in terms of returns.

It is if you've budgetted a figure. No sane businessman continues throwing good money after bad - only you hit a figure which is the most you'd be prepared to lose, you don't continue throwing money away.

The debts Newcatle Utd owe were made during the Freddy Shepard era, not Sir John Hall.

Ah yes, the Hall era which went so swimmnigly Shepard took over, right?

Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:42 pm

Under Hall they finished 3rd and 2nd twice. I think it went pretty well.

LOL. Cardiff and South Wales is full of plastic fans. We have already seen a huge increase fans to get to the level we are now.

We would see a huge increase in ticket and shirt sales.

And I don't believe you should pump money into a club for the sake of it.

I believe if you find a manager who you have faith in you should back.

I wouldn't want us to sign players like Sven is doing.

I believe that a manager like MM can be trusted to spend 10 million and not waste it.

Every player MM has brought in has been great. He has shown what he can do. The squad is 4-5 players short of being there or there abouts come the end of the season.

Give MM some backing trust him to sign the right type of players and then enjoy the rewards of playing in the Prem.

Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:55 pm

Big Boss Man wrote:Under Hall they finished 3rd and 2nd twice. I think it went pretty well.

And long term?

Hall pumped money in, giving short term success. When that "success" ended... it precipitated the slide.

LOL. Cardiff and South Wales is full of plastic fans. We have already seen a huge increase fans to get to the level we are now.

We would see a huge increase in ticket and shirt sales.

"Huge"? Wouldn't see us getting over 30k except for your Man Utds etc.

And I don't believe you should pump money into a club for the sake of it.

Well, you are. You cite £10m as being chickenfeed - how much did Blackpool or Swansea spend to get up? £10m?

Every player MM has brought in has been great. He has shown what he can do. The squad is 4-5 players short of being there or there abouts come the end of the season.

Agree on the latter point, on the former, way too early to tell. Signs are promising though.

Give MM some backing trust him to sign the right type of players and then enjoy the rewards of playing in the Prem.

And the difference in approach to that of Dave Jones ( give money, spend money ) was?

We've followed that route, and failed every time. It's important that people drop the incredibly dumb "let's throw money, hopefully get promoted then everything will magically be solved" approach - after all, being up in the promised land really made Portsmouth financially stable...

The club needs to live within it's means. Not run up the debts by spending money we don't have.

Anyone believing overwise would sacrifice a couple of season in the Prem for the long term future of the club.