Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Memory Loss

Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:34 pm

When I was in the Army I am sure that I went to see City play Leeds - it must have been 1981/2 at Elland Road............either that or I am going crazy

Can anyone shed any light on the game or do I need to seek medical help!!

:D :o :ayatollah:

Re: Memory Loss

Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:37 pm

I cant remember :lol: :lol:

Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:41 pm

Remember what?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:46 pm

Fusilier23 wrote:Remember what?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

What year did you join the 23rd mate? (Aden Platoon?)

Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:36 pm

Hi Mate,

Joined the Army at 16 as a Junior Signalman in 1979 (hence the Leeds game as was based in Harrogate)

Did not like the Sigs so went to Crick in 1981 - ended up in Borneo Pl after breaking my collar bone, think I was in Aden
Pl initially, but was back squaded due to injury.

Went to 1 RWF in Nov 81 and stayed with them until 88 when I left.

How about you...........RWF/RRW?

:ayatollah:

Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:37 pm

Fusilier23 wrote:When I was in the Army I am sure that I went to see City play Leeds - it must have been 1981/2 at Elland Road............either that or I am going crazy

Can anyone shed any light on the game or do I need to seek medical help!!

:D :o :ayatollah:

I went there in October 83 we lost to 1-0 to Leeds, your not going crazy in was 83-84 season :ayatollah:

Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:41 pm

Thanks for that, I have been racking my brains trying to think when it was

I will cancel that appointment!!

:lol: :lol:

Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:43 pm

No problem , yes cancel that appointment :lol: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:50 pm

Fusilier23 wrote:Hi Mate,

Joined the Army at 16 as a Junior Signalman in 1979 (hence the Leeds game as was based in Harrogate)

Did not like the Sigs so went to Crick in 1981 - ended up in Borneo Pl after breaking my collar bone, think I was in Aden
Pl initially, but was back squaded due to injury.

Went to 1 RWF in Nov 81 and stayed with them until 88 when I left.

How about you...........RWF/RRW?

:ayatollah:

Ah, okay. I was attached to 1RWF in Tidworth (Lucknow Barracks) in 73 but passed out in Crick the same year.(Too young to go to my unit 1RRW in N Ireland at the time) I remember loads of RWF lads not only from that posting and training but I was also posted to the recruiting team (DIV RO) in the depot. Perhaps you can recognise Cpl Allan and Steve Church (from Llanrumney) in this pic?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:56 pm

Can't say I recognise either - I joined 8 years later so maybe they had moved on the pastures new.

I am a LLanrumney boy myself and hadn't heard of th RWF until I went to Crick - never regretted joining though

Best Regiment in the British Army :D :D :D

Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:01 pm

Remember that game as i was there :old: Annis was there too care to comment on this old mate? :old: :lol:

Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:04 pm

Did we save a Leeds penalty?

Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:06 pm

yes in the 2nd half :old:

Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:08 pm

Fusilier23 wrote:Can't say I recognise either - I joined 8 years later so maybe they had moved on the pastures new.

I am a LLanrumney boy myself and hadn't heard of th RWF until I went to Crick - never regretted joining though

Lol, strange opinions of some eh? :D Steve is from Ball rd, he went to the Officers mess (as a full screw) eventually I believe?

I'll dig out a few more recent (1980 lol) later. May bring back some memories for you. :D

Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:13 pm

Old Canton Casual wrote:yes in the 2nd half :old:

Thought so - I was in with the Leeds Fans as I went with a friend fron the area to watch the game

Had to somewhat hide my satisfaction when we saved it

:ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:15 pm

200 city on the early service train... had a bit of a welcoming committe outside The Prince of Wales boozer...Pissed down allday.. Leeds SC were to the left of us in the south stand..

Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:15 pm

SBF1 wrote:
Fusilier23 wrote:Can't say I recognise either - I joined 8 years later so maybe they had moved on the pastures new.

Lol, strange opinions of some eh? :D Steve is from Ball rd, he went to the Officers mess (as a full screw) eventually I believe?

I'll dig out a few more recent (1980 lol) later. May bring back some memories for you. :D

How long were you in for?.........Do you remember a Dave Goddard - big guy - eventually became RSM of 1 RRW?

Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:20 pm

Fusilier23 wrote:
SBF1 wrote:

How long were you in for?.........Do you remember a Dave Goddard - big guy - eventually became RSM of 1 RRW?

I did over 15 years. Yes I do remember "G". ;)

Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:24 pm

SBF1 wrote:
Fusilier23 wrote:
SBF1 wrote:

I did over 15 years. Yes I do remember "G". ;)

He was my Pl Sgt when I was In Borneo - not a man to be messed with but fair with it as well

Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:26 pm

lordninian wrote:200 city on the early service train... had a bit of a welcoming committe outside The Prince of Wales boozer...Pissed down allday.. Leeds SC were to the left of us in the south stand..

Quite correct lordninian ;) We went on the mad coach via Huddersfield and arrived late. It went off outside south stand by the chip shop :lol: :old:

Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:07 pm

I'll dig out a few more recent (1980 lol) later. May bring back some memories for you. :D[/quote]

How long were you in for?.........Do you remember a Dave Goddard - big guy - eventually became RSM of 1 RRW?[/quote]

I did over 15 years. Yes I do remember "G". ;)[/quote]

He was my Pl Sgt when I was In Borneo - not a man to be messed with but fair with it as well[/quote]

Here is a pic of Big G. By chance we are side by side in this picture (not a good one at that) He is in front of the gun on the right as you look at the pic, I am the l/cpl on his left. Seems like yesterday but is soooo long ago now. :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:30 pm

Couldn't really miss him!!

:ayatollah: :D

Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:40 pm

SBF1 wrote:I'll dig out a few more recent (1980 lol) later. May bring back some memories for you. :D

How long were you in for?.........Do you remember a Dave Goddard - big guy - eventually became RSM of 1 RRW?[/quote]

I did over 15 years. Yes I do remember "G". ;)[/quote]

He was my Pl Sgt when I was In Borneo - not a man to be messed with but fair with it as well[/quote]

Here is a pic of Big G. By chance we are side by side in this picture (not a good one at that) He is in front of the gun on the right as you look at the pic, I am the l/cpl on his left. Seems like yesterday but is soooo long ago now. :([/quote]

I remember G ,aka "the pig farmer" (behind his back of course) from my time attached to B company for BATUS. If you fucked up he'd punch you real hard in the chest while you were stood at attention. To be honest it was a relief to get back to A coy and Pete Griff and that was no picnic. I remember dragging that little Jap gun on the left around Sennelager along with a selection of shiney things from the guard room when the battalion was running some event down there one time.Ahh the good old days :?

Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:47 pm

Fortunately I was never on the receiving end of a DG "special" but I did see it dished out a few times!! :o :o

I take it you were RRW then?