Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" WHO BELIEVES IN NATIONAL ? "

Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:17 pm

WHO BELIEVES IN NATIONAL SERVICE FOR YOUR COUNTRY ?

WHO WOULD LIKE IT TO RETURN ?

WOULD WE OFF HAD THE RECENT RIOTS IF WE HAD NATIONAL SERVICE IN THE UK ?

Re: " WHO BELIEVES IN NATIONAL ? "

Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:25 pm

I don't think it would be a good thing, there is too much aggression in a lot of todays youth, and I don't buy the argument that National Service would focus this aggression.

I do think that people should be expected to earn their dole money, similar to community service. Make people (18-24) undertake menial tasks for a couple of hours a day to earn their money. May give them have a bit of pride in their community.

Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:27 pm

I was in the Royal Navy for four years and have come out a much better man through being in the forces. It makes you a better man , you have morales, responsibilities and pride in what i have done . The kids out of work today would benefit hugely through a stint in the forces , but most dont want to as they would rather take drugs , rob people of their property and hang around in gangs thinking their the dogs bollocks when in fact they are just a bunch of deluded idiots. Im not saying all the youngsters are like this but it just seems to me that England more then any other nation on these isles is on it arse :ayatollah:

Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:27 pm

Back of the Net wrote:I don't think it would be a good thing, there is too much aggression in a lot of todays youth, and I don't buy the argument that National Service would focus this aggression.

I do think that people should be expected to earn their dole money, similar to community service. Make people (18-24) undertake menial tasks for a couple of hours a day to earn their money. May give them have a bit of pride in their community.

What has it got to do with aggression, there are and could be opportunities for 18-24 to develop their skills within the NS.

Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:28 pm

It wont happen. Defence cuts means we have the smallest army since...*insert year* we couldnt afford national service if we wanted too

Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:29 pm

I still believe in National Service.

Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:30 pm

RichardBluebird wrote:
Back of the Net wrote:I don't think it would be a good thing, there is too much aggression in a lot of todays youth, and I don't buy the argument that National Service would focus this aggression.

What has it got to do with aggression, there are and could be opportunities for 18-24 to develop their skills within the NS.

Ever been for a night out in Aldershot? :o

Do you really thing this Govenment would invest in national service, when it's doing all it can to reduce the costs associated with the Forces? cutting numbers, selling off land & properties?

Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:36 pm

Back of the Net wrote:
RichardBluebird wrote:

Ever been for a night out in Aldershot? :o

Do you really thing this Govenment would invest in national service, when it's doing all it can to reduce the costs associated with the Forces? cutting numbers, selling off land & properties?

Yes been out in Aldershot, Colchester & Chatham etc. I can see this sort of government investing especially when they can get things done on the cheap, we have TA's in Afghanistan and other places we deem to invade so why not have conscripts if it pays.

Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:39 pm

I'm 17 now and I don't agree with it. For example, I'm doing my a-levels now and then hopefully go on to university. National service would just delay all this. I already know how to behave etc, it would just delay my education and be a waste of time. The difficilty being with something like this is that it either has to be everyone, or no one. You can't just pick individuals to do it. One thing i've found through school etc is the one priors who play up etc are the ones who ruin it for everyone else and they seemto get priority over others who tow the line. I can never see a return to national service in the uk but I can see some sort of rule or restriction which will uneccesarily limit most of the youth when they're perfectly good, law obiding people.

Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:10 pm

The Douce wrote:It wont happen. Defence cuts means we have the smallest army since...*insert year* we couldnt afford national service if we wanted too

Correct. It was stopped in the early 60's because the Government of the time could'nt afford it !

Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:49 pm

Don't you think it would be a bad idea to train individuals to fire guns,armed/un-armed combat etc when SOME obviously have agressive tendencies and also extremist religious views etc? Or do you think that national service will stop the aggression and extremist views? Personally i think in this day and age it could make the current situation much worse. Things are just not like they were and will never be again, IMO national service would not solve the current problems.

Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:45 pm

I dont see why the armed services would want everyone elses unwanted scumbags!!!!

Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:49 pm

The 16/18 need some guidence on how to live as a good citizen.Those that are not interested in further education after 16 need some thing (as noone will employ them).Those that are on benefits should do some community work for getting money eg if you get £100 you do 20 hours work cleaning helping the aged in there neighbourhood.It will take a few years to catch on but then we will benefit from better standards from our young people.They will then have some thing to focus on rather than hanging about the neighbourhood being a nuisance to others.The last thing they need is the old NATIONAL SERVICE on how to shoot guns, they need COMMUNITY SERVICE ON HOW TO BE A GOOD CITIZEN.

Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:49 pm

bluebirdrob wrote:The 16/18 need some guidence on how to live as a good citizen.Those that are not interested in further education after 16 need some thing (as noone will employ them).Those that are on benefits should do some community work for getting money eg if you get £100 you do 20 hours work cleaning helping the aged in there neighbourhood.It will take a few years to catch on but then we will benefit from better standards from our young people.They will then have some thing to focus on rather than hanging about the neighbourhood being a nuisance to others.The last thing they need is the old NATIONAL SERVICE on how to shoot guns, they need COMMUNITY SERVICE ON HOW TO BE A GOOD CITIZEN.
10/10 Mate. I know I genaralised by calling em scumbags, there are a lot of good uns too that would benefit themselves and everyone else and just need aiming in the right direction. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:49 pm

bluebirdrob wrote:The 16/18 need some guidence on how to live as a good citizen.Those that are not interested in further education after 16 need some thing (as noone will employ them).Those that are on benefits should do some community work for getting money eg if you get £100 you do 20 hours work cleaning helping the aged in there neighbourhood.It will take a few years to catch on but then we will benefit from better standards from our young people.They will then have some thing to focus on rather than hanging about the neighbourhood being a nuisance to others.The last thing they need is the old NATIONAL SERVICE on how to shoot guns, they need COMMUNITY SERVICE ON HOW TO BE A GOOD CITIZEN.
10/10 Mate. I know I genaralised by calling em scumbags, there are a lot of good uns too that would benefit themselves and everyone else and just need aiming in the right direction. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:17 pm

It's not National service the kids need,it's a fair wage and forty hours a week to earn it in,allied with life goals such as one day owning your own home and maybe having 2.5 kids.Am i dreaming? maybe but all these things were available through hard work when i was their age, why not now?

Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:35 pm

Nah I reckon that the Iceland stores should give out free ecstasy pills for every pound spent

Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:41 pm

IMO the big mistake was getting rid of it, if it continued upuntil to day, it would just be the 'lay of the land' and a very excepted part of British life as generations would have been through it.

It is to late now however, political correctness, human rights ect together with fat roll of 'RED' tape.

I wonder though would we be snowed under by imigrants if they thought by coming here, theres a real chance they would face National service, and not just get free handouts, housing ect... :o

Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:20 pm

as an ex soldier (10years served) there is no way the regular army could train and help national servisits. it is stretched to the maximum as it is.

Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:40 am

Speaking as a former infantryman, national service would NOT work, how could it in today's society?

As it stand a basic training seargent says to a recruit in training: get on your face an gimme 50 squat thrusts for being a tw*t!

A recruit in training will do it without question because he wants successfully pass out and join his regiment

A chav hoodie couldn't give a toss about joining a regiment so he would just say 'go f**k yourself'

And gone are the days of being able to give recruit a pasting, this is the reason it simply couldn't work.

Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:03 am

ccfcgrangeend wrote:I was in the Royal Navy for four years and have come out a much better man through being in the forces. It makes you a better man , you have morales, responsibilities and pride in what i have done . The kids out of work today would benefit hugely through a stint in the forces , but most dont want to as they would rather take drugs , rob people of their property and hang around in gangs thinking their the dogs bollocks when in fact they are just a bunch of deluded idiots. Im not saying all the youngsters are like this but it just seems to me that England more then any other nation on these isles is on it arse :ayatollah:

No disrespect to your modesty mate but you came out a better man because that's who you are. You came out the person who you are. Unfortunately, there's a host of scum bags out there who aren't as decent as you. I know a few lads who entered the army who came out worse because it just made them realise their potential and what they could do with their cuntishness.

I like the idea of forcing people to earn their dole money. Community service should be a must for all those seeking jobs and instead of sending the rioters to jail they should have been forced to clean up the mess they made until they'd worked it off. It's a difficult question though because can you really introduce one policy to cure a social disease? I think it needs deeper thinking and research.

Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:31 am

Here's a radical idea, instead of National Service or Cameron's Civil National Service how about creating some jobs (especially apprentiships) for young (British resident/born) people so they learn a trade and take pride in themselves?

You never know it might just work.

Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:56 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:Here's a radical idea, instead of National Service or Cameron's Civil National Service how about creating some jobs (especially apprentiships) for young (British resident/born) people so they learn a trade and take pride in themselves?

You never know it might just work.

Spot on tony, but are our illoustrious leaders to 'deaf' to hear the penny drop, and to blind to see it???

Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:59 am

I dont beleive it would work. The British Army is now a small professional Army that has the best trained Soilders in the world. It would not be fair for the Goverment to dump tens of thousands of young wannabe Gangsta bad boy check out me strut blood clot innit's on them.
I think good parenting plays a massive part. I was always a good boy because my mother would kick the shit out of me if I stepped out of line. I think this generation is f*cked and we should write them off.
There is also no need to have an Army of millions when you have Nukes and you know how to use them. :shock:

Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:17 am

the idea of earning dole money is a nice one but flawed in my opinion. if they are on it for genuine, accepted reasons such as health reasons stopping them working or no jobs being available fair enough

if they can do this community work to earn their dole money, either the health problems aren't stopping doing that, so why not do it as a job. or, people are needed to do whatever they are doing, in which case why isn't it available as a job

slightly off topic but the benefits system is a good thing and if we were to get rid of it it would be a massive backwards step. the only problem with it is that it gets abused

Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:45 am

Sheik Yerbouti wrote:the idea of earning dole money is a nice one but flawed in my opinion. if they are on it for genuine, accepted reasons such as health reasons stopping them working or no jobs being available fair enough

if they can do this community work to earn their dole money, either the health problems aren't stopping doing that, so why not do it as a job. or, people are needed to do whatever they are doing, in which case why isn't it available as a job

slightly off topic but the benefits system is a good thing and if we were to get rid of it it would be a massive backwards step. the only problem with it is that it gets abused

There is absolutely no doubt the benefit's system is being abused and the Government need to get a grip of it.

However, I sometimes wonder if they are looking in the wrong place. Yes some people claim ESA/Incapacity Benefit who are able bodied and could work, but I am quite convinced that the vast majority are unfit for work and shouldn't been bullied into work.

IMO more effort should instead be put into finding those who encourage fraud like landlords who scam housing benefit or employers who fiddle there tax and NI contributions.

It would also be nice if situations like the one recently where a family refused adequate housing in Coventry at £1,000 p/m to the taxpayer and were instead moved to London and housed in a Mansion costing £8,000 p/m so that they could be closer to their family didn't arise and the said family were told to either 'take it or leave it' instead of treating the taxpayer as an extension of their own income.

Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:08 am

I think its a very good idea. Instead of tax payers paying for the little shits to have a free accomodation and free food etc, they will be getting a massive kick up the arse and a push in the right direction.

However, after these devestating cuts our incompetent government have made, it wont happen for a long shot. I recently got turned down by the Army due to them reducing their numbers cause of the cuts that have been made. So, as I've stated in a thread I made, I'm joining the TA's.

What I think people who leave school/college and are unemployed, should be made to do community work/service for x amount of hours p/w, whilst looking for a job.

Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:20 am

Awful idea.

Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:13 pm

As it stands the Uk is the only country in the EU or in the Un security council permanent member states to recruit at the age of 16. There are less than 20 nations that recruit at 16 worldwide they include Iran,North Korea, Zimbabwe etc.
In the UK, legal majority is reached at the age of 18. Persons below this age are legally defined as children and are subject to special rights and restrictions. Notably, they cannot enter into legally binding contracts and there are specific restrictions on their employment in “hazardous” work. Children are not allowed to join the UK police or the fire service. If anyone believes that entering the military automatically makes you a better person then they are deluded. Spend a saturday night in a garrison town and you'll see things differently. I love it when people who've never seen the inside of a recruiting office let alone gone beyond the front gate of a barracks spout off about how military service would be a good thing for the youth.
Decent employment is the way forward.

Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:52 pm

Yes bring it back and enroll them scum bag rioters first,my youngest son who is only 14,has got his heart set on joining the paras :ayatollah: