Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

f.a.o DR BLUE REF RUGBY NATIONAL SPORT

Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:47 pm

The stats tell you all...far more people play football than rugby in Wales. Cardiff is predominantly a football city. The South Wales valleys have more football clubs then rugby. Rugby is played by the few, and mostly west of Swansea. when I was a lad at school near Pontypridd same class as Robert Earnshaw ( claim to fame lol ), any lad with talent and fitness played football first..our rugby team was full of those who couldn't kick a ball, or as forwards, were on the overweight side. Please no more of this 'Wales is a rugby nation'! Unfortunately the rugby Taffia have their mits on most of the press, councils etc."

Just an honest account of my feelings on this obviously there are going to be different views but the truth hurts sometimes
FOOTBALL IS BIGGER THAN RUGBY IN WALES :ayatollah:

Re: f.a.o DR BLUE REF RUGBY NATIONAL SPORT

Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:49 pm

Unfortunately I think Bridgend is more of a rugby town. :( Well traditionally it is anyway. :evil:

Don't worry though...the mighty Bridgend Town will rise. :D :ayatollah:

Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:06 pm

ccfcgrangeend wrote:The stats tell you all...far more people play football than rugby in Wales. Cardiff is predominantly a football city. The South Wales valleys have more football clubs then rugby. Rugby is played by the few, and mostly west of Swansea. when I was a lad at school near Pontypridd same class as Robert Earnshaw ( claim to fame lol ), any lad with talent and fitness played football first..our rugby team was full of those who couldn't kick a ball, or as forwards, were on the overweight side. Please no more of this 'Wales is a rugby nation'! Unfortunately the rugby Taffia have their mits on most of the press, councils etc."

Just an honest account of my feelings on this obviously there are going to be different views but the truth hurts sometimes

I think you're deluded pal. In any sport, the national team should come before any club team. I think any sane and proper person would agree with that.
Welsh Rugby has won 2 Grand Slams in the last 6 years, at times playing breathtaking Rugby. Welsh football is a joke, utter crap. I tried to find their world ranking but gave up after seeing countless third world, corrupt dangerous shitholes way out in front of us.

Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:12 pm

Dr Blue wrote:I think you're deluded pal. In any sport, the national team should come before any club team. I think any sane and proper person would agree with that.
Welsh Rugby has won 2 Grand Slams in the last 6 years, at times playing breathtaking Rugby. Welsh football is a joke, utter crap. I tried to find their world ranking but gave up after seeing countless third world, corrupt dangerous shitholes way out in front of us.

You're lucky that only 6 or 7 countries play rugby seriously, because if rugby was as big as football globally Wales rugby would be down where the football team is in the rankings.

Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:14 pm

Frodo wrote:
Dr Blue wrote:I think you're deluded pal. In any sport, the national team should come before any club team. I think any sane and proper person would agree with that.

You're lucky that only 6 or 7 countries play rugby seriously, because if rugby was as big as football globally Wales rugby would be down where the football team is in the rankings.

Not neccessarily true.

Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:17 pm

Dr Blue wrote:
ccfcgrangeend wrote:The stats tell you all...far more people play football than rugby in Wales. Cardiff is predominantly a football city. The South Wales valleys have more football clubs then rugby. Rugby is played by the few, and mostly west of Swansea. when I was a lad at school near Pontypridd same class as Robert Earnshaw ( claim to fame lol ), any lad with talent and fitness played football first..our rugby team was full of those who couldn't kick a ball, or as forwards, were on the overweight side. Please no more of this 'Wales is a rugby nation'! Unfortunately the rugby Taffia have their mits on most of the press, councils etc."

I think you're deluded pal. In any sport, the national team should come before any club team. I think any sane and proper person would agree with that.

If you asked most of the fans on this forum who comes first for them, it's CCFC, no question ! In fact I've seen many threads on here regarding it.

If you asked most of the football fans in Britain who comes first for them, it would invariably be their club. End of story.

Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:18 pm

Bridgend_bluebird wrote:
Frodo wrote:You're lucky that only 6 or 7 countries play rugby seriously, because if rugby was as big as football globally Wales rugby would be down where the football team is in the rankings.

Not neccessarily true.

They struggle now to get to 6th in the world when about 7 countries take the game seriously. Imagine another 50+ countries playing the sport seriously. I'd be willing to bet they'd be quite a way down the rankings myself.

Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:21 pm

Dr Blue wrote:

Rugby in Wales is still living in the seventys.There are only 8 or 9 full professional rugby nations compared to 200 or so in football, so to be in the top 5 nations in rugby is the equivalent of being on the top 100 in football. The media are continually promoting rugby- perhaps the blinkers should come off! Lets be honest, rugby is the second sport in Wales and is likely to be for the forseeable future.

Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:26 pm

There are countries ranked above Wales that most of you uneducated simpletons have never heard of, couldnt even name which continent they are on.
You may have heard of IRAQ, since we invaded them a few years back. There is death and destrction there on a daily basis. They are ranked above Wales.
And you people putting club before country, shame on you.

Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:29 pm

Dr Blue wrote:There are countries ranked above Wales that most of you uneducated simpletons have never heard of, couldnt even name which continent they are on.
You may have heard of IRAQ, since we invaded them a few years back. There is death and destrction there on a daily basis. They are ranked above Wales.
And you people putting club before country, shame on you.

:lol:

Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:32 pm

ccfcgrangeend wrote:
Dr Blue wrote:

Rugby in Wales is still living in the seventys.There are only 8 or 9 full professional rugby nations compared to 200 or so in football, so to be in the top 5 nations in rugby is the equivalent of being on the top 100 in football. The media are continually promoting rugby- perhaps the blinkers should come off! Lets be honest, rugby is the second sport in Wales and is likely to be for the forseeable future.

Holy crap mate. I knew Valley boys were dim, but you bring it to a whole new level. Rugby union is played in over 100 countries across five continents and as of November 2010 118 unions were members of the IRB.

Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:34 pm

[quote="Dr Blue"]There are countries ranked above Wales that most of you uneducated simpletons have never heard of, couldnt even name which continent they are on.
And you people putting club before country, shame on you.[/quot

when the F.A.W have put money and shit managers and run so much like an amatuer set up then yes i will put club before country because as Cardiff City we are representing our country every away game , and as for your comment about Iraq yeah i know where it is as i was in the Royal Navy for four years and fought a war to rid the country of the tyrant that was gassing his own people on a daily basis , so dont tell me about death and destruction if you havent sampled it yourself. In fact mate your wind ups are border line childish and you have not thought a single argument to defend yourself to me i think its just random bullshit. So in the immortal words of Mr .t quick your jibber jabber FOOL :ayatollah:

Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:36 pm

Dr Blue wrote:Holy crap mate. I knew Valley boys were dim, but you bring it to a whole new level. Rugby union is played in over 100 countries across five continents and as of November 2010 118 unions were members of the IRB.

That might well be true, but only about 7 nations play the sport seriously. The other 111 are messing about on dirt fields passing coconuts about.

Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:45 pm

You never hear rugby fans saying how shit football is. But you always hear football fans especially Cardiff and Swansea ones saying how shit rugby is.

I sense a huge jealousy in South Wales by football fans over Wales rugby's success of the past.

f*cking pathetic really and you need to grow up or go and watch our ''brilliant'' football team. Because if football is our national sport god f*cking help us. There be plenty of room if you do decide to go as the attendance at the last game was 6000 and 615 when we beat Northern Ireland. Yes 615.

Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:49 pm

Dr Blue wrote:

You can't be serious, 99% of the people who watch Welsh rugby are there for one thing..... Piss up. Like my sister and her mates who think Gavin Henson players for Cardiff Blues. :lol:

Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:50 pm

henrycecil wrote:You never hear rugby fans saying how shit football is. But you always hear football fans especially Cardiff and Swansea ones saying how shit rugby is.

I sense a huge jealousy in South Wales by football fans over Wales rugby's success of the past.

f*cking pathetic really and you need to grow up or go and watch our ''brilliant'' football team. Because if football is our national sport god f*cking help us. There be plenty of room if you do decide to go as the attendance at the last game was 6000 and 615 when we beat Northern Ireland. Yes 615.

I wasnt saying rugby is shit just football is bigger , i love RUGBY LEAGUE much better than Union. :ayatollah:

Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:11 pm

ccfcgrangeend wrote:
henrycecil wrote:You never hear rugby fans saying how shit football is. But you always hear football fans especially Cardiff and Swansea ones saying how shit rugby is.

I wasnt saying rugby is shit just football is bigger , i love RUGBY LEAGUE much better than Union. :ayatollah:

Don't bother citing the NI game as an example of poor attendances for Wales matches. Because it was in the Carling Nations Cup, where every game had an embarrassing attendance !

Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:05 pm

Frodo wrote:
Dr Blue wrote:Holy crap mate. I knew Valley boys were dim, but you bring it to a whole new level. Rugby union is played in over 100 countries across five continents and as of November 2010 118 unions were members of the IRB.

That might well be true, but only about 7 nations play the sport seriously. The other 111 are messing about on dirt fields passing coconuts about.

Thats quite funny. I think I would prefer playing Rugby with Coconuts on a white sand tropical beach with exotic beauties serving ice cold beer over a windswept soggy field in the Valleys. :D

Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:12 pm

Dr Blue wrote:
Frodo wrote:

Thats quite funny. I think I would prefer playing Rugby with Coconuts on a white sand tropical beach with exotic beauties serving ice cold beer over a windswept soggy field in the Valleys. :D

No doubt, but the point still stands.

Outside of the top 8 countries, rugby is nothing. It's blokes messing about on dirt fields, pretending that Uganda vs Botswana has any relevance. I'm not knocking rugby, i don't mind it, but it's a nothing sport outside of those eight countries.

Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:55 pm

ccfcgrangeend wrote:
Dr Blue wrote:There are countries ranked above Wales that most of you uneducated simpletons have never heard of, couldnt even name which continent they are on.
And you people putting club before country, shame on you.[/quot

when the F.A.W have put money and shit managers and run so much like an amatuer set up then yes i will put club before country because as Cardiff City we are representing our country every away game , and as for your comment about Iraq yeah i know where it is as i was in the Royal Navy for four years and fought a war to rid the country of the tyrant that was gassing his own people on a daily basis , so dont tell me about death and destruction if you havent sampled it yourself. In fact mate your wind ups are border line childish and you have not thought a single argument to defend yourself to me i think its just random bullshit. So in the immortal words of Mr .t quick your jibber jabber FOOL :ayatollah:

So we have a war hero amongst us. More like you were frying Sausages on your ship while the real men got stuck into the Insurgents.
How can you "Sample" death and destruction when you're cooking on a Warship you muppet.

Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:37 am

Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:
ccfcgrangeend wrote:

Don't bother citing the NI game as an example of poor attendances for Wales matches. Because it was in the Carling Nations Cup, where every game had an embarrassing attendance !

If Wales rugby had a game on a tuesday night on the moon, there would be more than 615 taffies there.

Just tuned in to watch the cricket all day. Fortunately for me i can embrace all sports!

Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:52 am

Dr Blue wrote:

reasons are.. realisticly there is about 10 nations in the world how play rugby lets be honest. everyone plays football. PLUS as i said earlier on. you have proved my point EVERY rugby fan i have met will slag me and others off for not watching wales in a sport i cannot stand. but i dont see the so called WALES FANS (rugby) helping the welsh football? :old:

Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:08 am

Dr blue now you have resorted into trying to get a bite off me by calling me a cook. Your basis for argument has ceased to exist as I said before they ate childisg and meaningless. Stop. coming on here making yourself look an idiot, write something constructive and what the whole board can get involved on rather than slagging peoples opinions off . Just another direction you could take rather than being bitter about your topics write something positive.

Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:18 am

Poxy second rate sport, there's a reason the likes of Giggs, Bellamy, Bale and Ramsey earn the type of wages they do and they don't need to go onto strictly come dancing to enhance their name or status.

Looking forward to the world cup though what with Wales flawless world cup record against their group opponents, is it Fiji, Samoa and South Africa? Wales International rugby matches are predominantly occasions. The occasion is bigger than the sport itself. The best excuse this country has for getting together and showing a bit of national pride, a sing song and getting totally smashed beyond recognition. A third mumbling the wrong words to our national anthem and not having a clue what they are singing about half the time. Secure feelings for a small nation and yet you still have five times as many kids dreaming of playing football for Man United or Liverpool than you do of putting the WRU shirt on.

Yes, Rugby Union is Wales national sport, a small sport that Wales can gain some recognition in, (though not nearly as much recognition as we got internationally for hosting the FA cup final), because the majority of people in my country are only interested in winners, hence Wales football internationals disgusting attendances, Cardiff and Swansea's attendances while in the lower divisions and the amount of Liverpool, Manchester Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal shirts you see all over the place, (more than welsh rugby shirts by some way) and the unbelievable support for England (our biggest rivals although we aren't hardly on their radar) during a world cup or european championships.

Italy, Argentina, England and France are considered major players in world rugby but the sport is regional in these countries, it could never compare to football. In Spain, the USA and Germany it is far less than that. As has been stated if every country treated rugby like they treat football then Wales would be struggling to make the top 100. Size dictates this.

In school in the 70's and 80's we were banned from taking balls into school, so we played football with stones. These third world countries you talk of being above Wales in football have populations through the roof. The kids there play football with old rolled up bits of cloth, disgarded coke cans or rocks. If as many Iraqis played rugby as grew up playing football for as long as they've taken football seriously then I would think there is a major chance Iraq would be kicking Welsh rugby arse.

The world football rankings are a joke. If Wales played a quarter of the teams ranked above them, they would wipe the floor with them. Maybe we need to go on tour to Namibia to improve our rankings. :roll:

If you like football (you're on a football message board), then do you go and watch your country play the game? If you do, well done, if you don't is that because you are only interested in supporting winners? Simple fact is we are a small nation playing the worlds most popular sport, we got next to no chance. I support them all the same. :shock:

Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:31 am

Occasional Violins wrote:Poxy second rate sport, there's a reason the likes of Giggs, Bellamy, Bale and Ramsey earn the type of wages they do and they don't need to go onto strictly come dancing to enhance their name or status.

Looking forward to the world cup though what with Wales flawless world cup record against their group opponents, is it Fiji, Samoa and South Africa? Wales International rugby matches are predominantly occasions. The occasion is bigger than the sport itself. The best excuse this country has for getting together and showing a bit of national pride, a sing song and getting totally smashed beyond recognition. A third mumbling the wrong words to our national anthem and not having a clue what they are singing about half the time. Secure feelings for a small nation and yet you still have five times as many kids dreaming of playing football for Man United or Liverpool than you do of putting the WRU shirt on.

Yes, Rugby Union is Wales national sport, a small sport that Wales can gain some recognition in, (though not nearly as much recognition as we got internationally for hosting the FA cup final), because the majority of people in my country are only interested in winners, hence Wales football internationals disgusting attendances, Cardiff and Swansea's attendances while in the lower divisions and the amount of Liverpool, Manchester Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal shirts you see all over the place, (more than welsh rugby shirts by some way) and the unbelievable support for England (our biggest rivals although we aren't hardly on their radar) during a world cup or european championships.

Italy, Argentina, England and France are considered major players in world rugby but the sport is regional in these countries, it could never compare to football. In Spain, the USA and Germany it is far less than that. As has been stated if every country treated rugby like they treat football then Wales would be struggling to make the top 100. Size dictates this.

In school in the 70's and 80's we were banned from taking balls into school, so we played football with stones. These third world countries you talk of being above Wales in football have populations through the roof. The kids there play football with old rolled up bits of cloth, disgarded coke cans or rocks. If as many Iraqis played rugby as grew up playing football for as long as they've taken football seriously then I would think there is a major chance Iraq would be kicking Welsh rugby arse.

The world football rankings are a joke. If Wales played a quarter of the teams ranked above them, they would wipe the floor with them. Maybe we need to go on tour to Namibia to improve our rankings. :roll:

If you like football (you're on a football message board), then do you go and watch your country play the game? If you do, well done, if you don't is that because you are only interested in supporting winners? Simple fact is we are a small nation playing the worlds most popular sport, we got next to no chance. I support them all the same. :shock:

Thats a good post mate. I love football, I love watching all sports. Wales have some great players, Bale and Ramsey are world class. I think they are wasted in the Welsh team. I would embrace a Great British team to play on the world stage in Soccer. I think Giggs bombing down the left for England may have made the difference, it's such a waste of talent.

Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:48 am

Occasional Violins wrote:Poxy second rate sport, there's a reason the likes of Giggs, Bellamy, Bale and Ramsey earn the type of wages they do and they don't need to go onto strictly come dancing to enhance their name or status.

Excellent post.

Sums it up very nicely.

:ayatollah:

Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:07 pm

Dr Blue wrote:

Thats a good post mate. I love football, I love watching all sports. Wales have some great players, Bale and Ramsey are world class. I think they are wasted in the Welsh team. I would embrace a Great British team to play on the world stage in Soccer. I think Giggs bombing down the left for England may have made the difference, it's such a waste of talent.

Giggs didn't think so. ;)

Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:41 pm

International and Club sport are the complete opposite in Football and Rugby, in Football club football thrives more (bigger wages, attendances, better style because of team gelling) and it's a weekly thing. Whereas International sucks, because it doesnt happen often, players get injured, and their often bored draws.

Rugby is the opposite, the regions in rugby struggle, small crows, less money means they rely on homegrown players, hence the International scene being much better because 80% of players still play club Rugby in their own Country unlike Football ...

On a matchdays in Wales it's always going to be bigger because it's a bloody day out for half the people there, and that half don't even have a clue what the rules are. On a match day in football in Cardiff & Swansea the attendances week in week out Prove that football has taken over Rugby in this country

Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:46 pm

pisses me off as most of the pissheads watching the egg during the internationals don't even know the rules :shock:

Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:56 pm

Dr Blue wrote:

dont you mean 2 grand slams in the last 30 years
when you think the are only 6 teams involved and wales are the only one who considers rugger as their national sport its not that great a record is it