Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Just a little update

Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:57 pm

I passed the BARB test, anyone who served or still serving with the armed forces will know what it is. How ever. I had bad news, the MoD have told all recruiting offices in the UK to stop recruiting due to our wonderful government making cuts, so I'm now joining the TA's and once I get a chance I'll transfer to the regulars. Ive booked a, Basic Numarecy and Literacy Test for next Tuesday and on the same day I'm going to the TA barracks in Litchard. Just thought I'd give an update like I did a few weeks ago. :ayatollah:

Re: Just a little update

Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:59 pm

Bridgend_bluebird wrote:I passed the BARB test, anyone who served or still serving with the armed forces will know what it is. How ever. I had bad news, the MoD have told all recruiting offices in the UK to stop recruiting due to our wonderful government making cuts, so I'm now joining the TA's and once I get a chance I'll transfer to the regulars. Ive booked a, Basic Numarecy and Literacy Test for next Tuesday and on the same day I'm going to the TA barracks in Litchard. Just thought I'd give an update like I did a few weeks ago. :ayatollah:

So we aint gonna loose you then Sheriff :o :shock: :cry: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:02 pm

Where's Litchard?

Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:05 pm

Bridgend_bluebird wrote:I passed the BARB test, anyone who served or still serving with the armed forces will know what it is. How ever. I had bad news, the MoD have told all recruiting offices in the UK to stop recruiting due to our wonderful government making cuts, so I'm now joining the TA's and once I get a chance I'll transfer to the regulars. Ive booked a, Basic Numarecy and Literacy Test for next Tuesday and on the same day I'm going to the TA barracks in Litchard. Just thought I'd give an update like I did a few weeks ago. :ayatollah:

sorry,but im so glad,i know you understand,it seems you are addamant you want to join up,good luck mate :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:42 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:

So we aint gonna loose you then Sheriff :o :shock: :cry: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry to disappoint you constable ;)

Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:43 pm

krab wrote:

sorry,but im so glad,i know you understand,it seems you are addamant you want to join up,good luck mate :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Cheers mate :ayatollah:

Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:45 pm

Good Luck Mate.

My career in the Forces was ended after I failed the medical :(

Good Luck son.. :ayatollah:

Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:46 pm

Good Luck BB :ayatollah: Hope everthing works out for you :ayatollah:

Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:47 pm

Cheers lads, I'm looking forward to it. :ayatollah:

Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:15 pm

congratulations what trade are you choosing, my advice to you would to be wait for the regulars to take you on, the government are pushing recruitment into the reserve forces as a smoke screen to cover the mess they made of the cuts if your passionate about joining up the reserves will not feed your hunger for military life. I havent got anything against the reserve forces but if military life is the life you want to choose wait for the regulars, there is no rush to get in im presuming your a young lad youve got a long life ahead of you and before you know it the military will start recruiting again and dont forget the navy and the air force as other options which can provide the same jobs that you are looking for in the army.

Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:19 pm

Join the air force. Get a trade under your belt. Best thing ive ever done

Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:21 pm

JONNY012697 wrote:

congratulations what trade are you choosing, my advice to you would to be wait for the regulars to take you on, the government are pushing recruitment into the reserve forces as a smoke screen to cover the mess they made of the cuts if your passionate about joining up the reserves will not feed your hunger for military life. I havent got anything against the reserve forces but if military life is the life you want to choose wait for the regulars, there is no rush to get in im presuming your a young lad youve got a long life ahead of you and before you know it the military will start recruiting again and dont forget the navy and the air force as other options which can provide the same jobs that you are looking for in the army.

Well I'm joining the TA until the regulars start recruiting again. The Sargent told me that you can transfer if available. Hey ho still looking forward now, was pissed off when I was told, as was the Sargent, but I've calmed down, put my chin up and moved on. :ayatollah:

Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:30 pm

Bridgend_bluebird wrote:
JONNY012697 wrote:

Well I'm joining the TA until the regulars start recruiting again. The Sargent told me that you can transfer if available. Hey ho still looking forward now, was pissed off when I was told, as was the Sargent, but I've calmed down, put my chin up and moved on. :ayatollah:

what trade are you applying for mate, my worry for you is that once theyve got you theyve got you think long and hard about this decision when you are looking to transfer you will be competing for the same jobs as the people walking off the streets into the careers office and you may find yourself in a worse position rather than a better one because they dont have to let you transfer over, recruitment offices and recruiters are very good at putting silver linings around very dark clouds but it is what they are paid for dont accept second best get the job you want in the way you want it if the regulars is what you want go for it and if you have to wait 6 months or a year wait get on a college course or do some voluntary work.

Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:34 pm

"]
Bridgend_bluebird wrote:
JONNY012697 wrote:

what trade are you applying for mate, my worry for you is that once theyve got you theyve got you think long and hard about this decision when you are looking to transfer you will be competing for the same jobs as the people walking off the streets into the careers office and you may find yourself in a worse position rather than a better one because they dont have to let you transfer over, recruitment offices and recruiters are very good at putting silver linings around very dark clouds but it is what they are paid for dont accept second best get the job you want in the way you want it if the regulars is what you want go for it and if you have to wait 6 months or a year wait get on a college course or do some voluntary work.[/quote]

Rifleman is what I want to do, I'll take your advice on going for the job I want IF I can transfer.

Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:42 pm

Bridgend_bluebird wrote:"]
Bridgend_bluebird wrote:
JONNY012697 wrote:

what trade are you applying for mate, my worry for you is that once theyve got you theyve got you think long and hard about this decision when you are looking to transfer you will be competing for the same jobs as the people walking off the streets into the careers office and you may find yourself in a worse position rather than a better one because they dont have to let you transfer over, recruitment offices and recruiters are very good at putting silver linings around very dark clouds but it is what they are paid for dont accept second best get the job you want in the way you want it if the regulars is what you want go for it and if you have to wait 6 months or a year wait get on a college course or do some voluntary work.

Rifleman is what I want to do, I'll take your advice on going for the job I want IF I can transfer.[/quote]

well good luck mate hope it all works out for you and you make the decisions that are right for you, if your adamant about being an infantryman go for it but whilst your being recruited for the TA pop down to cardiff or swansea and ask about how long recruitment is for the marines or the raf regiment.

Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:48 pm

well done, at least your trying. and not sitting on your ass claiming benefit :ayatollah:

Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:50 pm

Cheers mate. As far as I'm aware the marines are actually increasing their numbers due to the new battleships that have just been created. Thanks for the advice. :ayatollah:

Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:54 pm

ninianblue wrote:well done, at least your trying. and not sitting on your ass claiming benefit :ayatollah:

Cheers, well I still gotta find a bloody job aswell :/

Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:52 am

Personally I would look at getting commissioned.

You can look at doing this if you join the TA or not. Obviously you need the qualifications but you can get those while serving or not. Dont just think once I have a gun in my hand I'm ok, look to go further. That is what the military is all about.

Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:07 am

NUMERACY AND LITERACY TEST! your going to be screwed then mate! :lol: :lol:
nah all jokes a side good luck son :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:28 am

My advice (as ex member of a recruit/selection/training team).

Join the TA. See if you like it and it likes you. Do lots of courses and try to find a trade in there, eg: signals.
Trust me a rifleman is not much of an expectation level ( I know as I spent time attached to the RGJ's).

Many TA courses can be counted towards regular service. It is bullshit to say they are not the same, as the regulars get 6 weeks to do what the TA get 2 weeks to do. Find things you like and enjoy (even some you do not) and do the course. Drill instructors/weapon instructors are good for promotion but need to be NCO for that.
Exams are of the same standard. You will also get to meet people who can help and advise you on how to get in.

If you are into sport/outward bound stuff get in there and you will never regret it. Especially as an instructor.
I hope you are getting the theme here?
Do courses and more courses and become an instructor. That is the future (regular and TA) and it will make the regular army need you.

As a a member of the TA you can get a job, go to college, voluntary work etc as well. Do not just sit back and wait for the regulars to need you, as it will not happen. The TA will open doors and experiences that will make them need you.

Good luck and well done for trying to do something with your life.

Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:52 am

glas wrote:My advice (as ex member of a recruit/selection/training team).

Join the TA. See if you like it and it likes you. Do lots of courses and try to find a trade in there, eg: signals.
Trust me a rifleman is not much of an expectation level ( I know as I spent time attached to the RGJ's).

Many TA courses can be counted towards regular service. It is bullshit to say they are not the same, as the regulars get 6 weeks to do what the TA get 2 weeks to do. Find things you like and enjoy (even some you do not) and do the course. Drill instructors/weapon instructors are good for promotion but need to be NCO for that.
Exams are of the same standard. You will also get to meet people who can help and advise you on how to get in.

If you are into sport/outward bound stuff get in there and you will never regret it. Especially as an instructor.
I hope you are getting the theme here?
Do courses and more courses and become an instructor. That is the future (regular and TA) and it will make the regular army need you.

As a a member of the TA you can get a job, go to college, voluntary work etc as well. Do not just sit back and wait for the regulars to need you, as it will not happen. The TA will open doors and experiences that will make them need you.

Good luck and well done for trying to do something with your life.

Thanks for the advice, I'll try to take it all on board. With regards to getting a trade, rifleman is what my mind is set on, I may regret it but I think I can transfer to another regiment and gain new skills anyway. But again thanks for the advice, greatly appreciated. :ayatollah:

Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:58 am

Good luck with it all.

Much respect to all you guys and gals in our armed forces.

:ayatollah:

Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:21 pm

Hi Mate,

Further to my previous post I am not trying to put anyone down as a Rifleman, ( I served with the Royal Green Jackets), as I said, and I met a great bunch of lads, but F*** me some of them were thick as s*** although saying that, they were mainly from London and Birmingham.
You seem a sensible and educated person (judging from spelling, grammar etc) which was why I suggested looking into a trade. Something to use when you get out of the service and to help you get up the promotion ladder as quick as possible.

Weapon skills and fitness levels you will learn/get as a Rifleman, both of which are always very useful to other sections of the army if you were to transfer.