Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Cardiff City Stadium

Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:25 am

Spoke to a mate last night who travelled from Brighton. He couldn't believe how quiet the City fans were. He said he never thought Brighton would be singing ''shall we sing a song for you'' at a Cardiff City game. He also said he was looking forward to this trip more than most, because he had been to Ninian Park in the past and had experienced one of the best football atmosphere's he's had. But he left disappointed with the atmosphere.

Remember the days when football fans feared coming to Ninian Park ? Just feel there's too many women go down now. Even Brighton are coming and taking the pish.

Re: Cardiff City Stadium

Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:59 am

i was starting to take interest in this until u mentioned and blamed it on too many women,

from i realised you were sexist and an idiot

Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:02 am

Its the new look new image for us Cardiff fans these days ...... " stand up if you hate Swansea " is as intimidating as its gonna get Im afraid :lol:

Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:05 am

jezzy666 wrote:i was starting to take interest in this until u mentioned and blamed it on too many women,

from i realised you were sexist and an idiot

Not sexist boss just old skool.

Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:06 am

to many plastics ruinned the atomosphere. sure there were Brighton fans in the canton end last night , just sitting there didnt say a word all game.But thats just the way football has gone unless your a lower league club. (better away days :) )

Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:09 am

Its what Gethin and Co want from our stadium and our fans nowadays ..... that and pick up all these Family awards for looking after just 1/4 of the faithfull at CCS !

Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:02 am

FOOTSOLDIER wrote:to many plastics ruinned the atomosphere. sure there were Brighton fans in the canton end last night , just sitting there didnt say a word all game.But thats just the way football has gone unless your a lower league club. (better away days :) )

Very good observation, so shall we get rid of all the "Plastics" out of the 23,000+ crowd and only allow the 3/4,000 diehards who attended games in the "good old days", and when we get rid of the "Plastics" they can take their money with them and the remaining "diehards" can play musical chairs. The club will of course be happy to loose a few thousand quid as well. :lol:

Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:34 am

It wasn't really the best game to judge us on. If they'd have come down on Sunday they'd have seen what we're like. We still had our moments but due to things happening like balls across the park to put their striker through and penalties being given away badly the spirit never really had a chance to get lifted.

Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:34 am

i thought there was a massive campaign pre season, which GJ was up for, where we were all moving to a more organised part of the ground to pick up the atmosphere? pisses me off, came down last night for the first time since end of last season, found out i was 4 rows from the front so couldnt stand or sing/say a word the whole game - waste of money for me personally, its not what its about for me.

Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:47 am

samuelarthurbrains wrote:
FOOTSOLDIER wrote:to many plastics ruinned the atomosphere. sure there were Brighton fans in the canton end last night , just sitting there didnt say a word all game.But thats just the way football has gone unless your a lower league club. (better away days :) )

Very good observation, so shall we get rid of all the "Plastics" out of the 23,000+ crowd and only allow the 3/4,000 diehards who attended games in the "good old days", and when we get rid of the "Plastics" they can take their money with them and the remaining "diehards" can play musical chairs. The club will of course be happy to loose a few thousand quid as well. :lol:

YEP all plastics go watch the jacks please, and stop bringing sandwiches in the ground, its not a picnic area, although it sounds like sometimes. :lol:

Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:06 am

Enjoy paying the massively inflated prices to cover the loss of income then.

Good luck with that one...

Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:57 am

This situation gets re-posted after every game we don't win. It's boring.

Yes, CCS is not Ninian Park and yes the atmosphere may not be as good as 'the good old days' but it is what it is.

I'm sure the atmosphere would have been different if Conway had scored before half time and we'd won the game. Then maybe Brighton wouldn't have had anything to sing about.

Besides, we'll probably out sing their new stadium when we're down there.

Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:15 pm

If all of the die hards are still there then we should be able to generate the same atmosphere. If you got 5,000 fans who sing in the ground on their own or 5,000 mixed in amongst another 18,000 they will make the same noise.

It's about the ones who sing not those that don't. I think quite a few on here are using it as an excuse coz their getting old and it's hard bloody work singing your lungs out for 90 minutes.

There have been some brilliant atmospheres created in the ground but it's up to us to make happen week in, week out.

I also think poeple have an over romanticised view of NP and the atmosphere. The ground didn't make the noise there either, we did.

The Leeds game will never be bettered but that's because of what it was and when it was, i.e. on a Sunday at 5:15. A day in the pub and playing the team top of the Prem! It was nowhere near as good the week later against Peterbourough!

If everyone on hearing blaming Gethin and/or the ground put as much effort into singing, we'd have the place bouncing!

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:37 pm

I remember when the only women at football was the chairman's wife. But that was back in the 80s, when the game here went through its worst times ever. European ban, the struggle to recover from hooliganism, Hillsboro, Heysel, etc. There's no way that we want to go through that again, really. So to say that women are unwelcome is a bit stupid really. I don't even agree with moving the Canton stand inhabitants to the Grange End. I think everyone's now realised that's a dead duck and isn't going to happen. Anyway, surely the Ninian Stand fans next to the away fans should be enough?

Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:44 pm

I'm in the Canton and I don't think it was quiet at all. What people expect when you're losing 3-0 though?? :roll:

Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:58 pm

As much as I loved the old girl, Ninian Park was a shithole.

We would now be sitting in a 12,000 capacity stadium if it wasn't for CCS.

Not every game had an evil atmosphere. I'd say the majority of the games the atmosphere was shite.
But hey most want to pick up on the great atmospheres and think that it was like that all the time, IT WASN'T.

I for one am glad we moved and have a new stadium.
OK the atmos isn't the best at times, but that's the fault of the supporters not the stadium.

Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:33 pm

NickPenarth wrote:This situation gets re-posted after every game we don't win. It's boring.

Yes, CCS is not Ninian Park and yes the atmosphere may not be as good as 'the good old days' but it is what it is.

I'm sure the atmosphere would have been different if Conway had scored before half time and we'd won the game. Then maybe Brighton wouldn't have had anything to sing about.

Exactly. I guess they're only a very few football clubs in Europe of who the fans keep on creating a good atmosphere when their team is losing at a home game.

Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:47 pm

NickPenarth wrote:This situation gets re-posted after every game we don't win. It's boring.

I totally agree with you Nick the atmosphere depends on what is happening on the pitch and it is the same at most stadiums.

The only concession I will give is at Ninian Park the fans who used to sit in the Grandstand did on a number of occasions lift the stadium and team if we were not performing well by spontaneously breaking into song and it was a terrific sight from the Bob Bank where I used to sit.

Unfortunately for some reason it just doesn't work the same with the Ninian Stand.

Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:38 pm

are we really expected to make an epic amount of noise when we are 3-0 down? :roll:
around about that time all the fans were groaning because something wasnt working with the team or they were trying to get behind the team but then we lost possession so they went back to burying their head in their hands.
personally i thought the canton and the ninian sounded quite loud (up till 3-0) last night and then at bristol it was a proper good noise being generated.

If people really want more atmosphere then start chants and get people involved rather than make the millionth thread about the stadium being different to ninian :roll:

Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:02 pm

The stadium is awful. There's no atmosphere from the first to last whistle and it is seriously depressing.

The idea of a Canton Kop generating the atmosphere of old has so far been pure hot air.

And to top it off some fella told me off for shouting C*nt as it wasn't what he wanted his daughter to hear.

I then politely reminded him he was in the Ninian stand and if he wanted a more family friendly atmosphere he should use the designated family stand created for people like him, not impressed he then called me a C*nt lol