Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Celtic Will Only Sign Bellamy If

Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:57 pm

Craig agrees to take a cut in his pay AND Manchester City agree to pay part of the remaining balance, well at least according to Peter Lawwell CEO of Celtic in todays Daily Record;

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/2011/08/16 ... -23348152/

Somehow I can't see Craig will agree to take a pay cut unless it allows him to play for a club of his choice and we all know which club that would be. Only 15 days till the transfer window closes and I think every day that passes we get a little closer to getting the "Special" player we all long to see in the Bluebird shirt AGAIN :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: Celtic Will Only Sign Bellamy If

Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:59 pm

castleblue wrote:Craig agrees to take a cut in his pay AND Manchester City agree to pay part of the remaining balance, well at least according to Peter Lawwell CEO of Celtic in todays Daily Record;

Somehow I can't see Craig will agree to take a pay cut unless it allows him to play for a club of his choice and we all know which club that would be. Only 15 days till the transfer window closes and I think every day that passes we get a little closer to getting the "Special" player we all long to see in the Bluebird shirt AGAIN :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

last day of transfer window it think. :ayatollah:

can't see him sticking it in man city reserves can you??

Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:00 pm

I'm pretty sure CB came out a while ago saying he wont play for Celtic?

Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:40 pm

Didnt Craig say that he couldnt take any cut because of his commitment to his foundation, personally I think he'll just sit out his remaining contract unless MCFC pay off so much of it and we guarantee the rest.

Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:41 pm

bluebirds23 wrote:
castleblue wrote:Craig agrees to take a cut in his pay AND Manchester City agree to pay part of the remaining balance, well at least according to Peter Lawwell CEO of Celtic in todays Daily Record;

Man City dont have a reserve team.

Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:42 pm

Merlin wrote:
bluebirds23 wrote:

alrite academy side then

Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:44 pm

can't see him sticking it in man city reserves can you??[/quote]

Of course he will if it guarantees his £70 or £80,000 a week.

Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:01 pm

Didn't Bellamy say in the papers last year that he'd play for Cardiff for free?

As for the foundation, how much do you pay to sponsor a child? Most agencies ask for about £20 per month so let's say £50 per month for 50 children, that would make £2500 per month or £600 per week. The foundation has got to be a big excuse.

Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:34 pm

Taliesin wrote:Didn't Bellamy say in the papers last year that he'd play for Cardiff for free?

As for the foundation, how much do you pay to sponsor a child? Most agencies ask for about £20 per month so let's say £50 per month for 50 children, that would make £2500 per month or £600 per week. The foundation has got to be a big excuse.

Dont be stupid .............set up , buildings , running of it , think bellars said it was around £2m a year ----stupid talk from you

Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:35 pm

Taliesin wrote:Didn't Bellamy say in the papers last year that he'd play for Cardiff for free?

I don't think Craig ever said he would play for Cardiff without pay. There was some MediaWales article from (I think) Terry Philips that implied he had said something of the kind - but no direct quote.

Newspaper interviews and reports have said that Craig has put about £800k of his own money into the Sierra Leone Football Academy over the last couple of years. I don't know if that is accurate - but seems about right to me. He also spends 3-4 weeks each summer there. So, my guess is he is prepared to put £500k or so in each year. If his wages are £4m per year at Man City (no one knows for certain, and there may be add-ons for appearances etc in there) it means about 20-25% of his pay to the academy after tax.

So not the main reason for holding out for what he is entitled to under his contract - but a fair old slug. The bottom line is that Craig has no reason to give away to his current employers pay to which he is entitled. I'm sure he is looking for a deal in which Man City pay up his contract for an amount that is what he is due less what Cardiff are prepared to pay.

And no transfer fee!

The longer he stays there the longer Man City have him under Mancini's feet - and expressing hs opinions. There will come a breaking point - and I have confidence in Craig's patience and willpower to get his own way.

Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:54 pm

Merlin wrote:
bluebirds23 wrote:

Man City DO have a reserve team, they played against the jacks last night :o :D :lol:

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:58 pm

Perhaps the Club could come up with some sort of agreement to pay X amount into
Craigs academy when we gain promotion to the Premiership. There's another
factor here though too. Malky has made a point of saying that he and Craig are
friends, but that doesnt mean he'd be happy to break his pay structure to bring
him in? One superstar amongst the rest of the squad? Maybe Mackay isnt all that
keen on the idea??

We shall find out soon enough i suppose.

certainly Man City would sooner see him elsewhere and saving 20k a week than
playing for the Academy side or whatever, surely?

Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:07 pm

I'm sure Craig is playing a poker game with man City, and I can understand why, if they want to waste 4.5 million pound having a player on their books who is of no use to them, then so be it, if they see sense and do a deal at least they can cut their losses, on the positive side, whilst it may a waste of a season for Craig, at least is injuries are having a serious rest and that can't be a bad thing, he can keep fit and tick over without causing further damage, so hopefully this may prolong his career and at the end of the year he's a free agent.

I'd love to see him back this season, but I would rather have him back for possibly a permanent move and employment by the club in some capacity for life, he will be a great asset and the work he could do with just the kids alone would be worth his wages. :old:

Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:17 pm

Craig did say he would play for Cardiff this season for free in an interview on Cardiff City Player last year and he also said he was a Manchester City player and if the club named him in their 25 man PL squad he would play for them without hesitation.

He did go on to say that if Manchester City didn't name him in their 25 man squad the only other club he would play for would play for was Cardiff City, and it was then that he said "If I had to play for nothing to make that deal happen I would" but he was suggesting he wouldn't take Cardiff City part of the deal. Whatever balance was left he would still expect Manchester City to honour his contract and pay him.

As Gwyn says Craig is playing a game of poker here but I have absolutely no doubt if Manchester City don't want him he will make sure he comes here and MM would welcome him with open arms.

Only 14 days until the window closes now. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:35 pm

surely on the academy front this is where the malaysians could play their part.

put some money into craigs sierra leon deal and offer craig another academy set up in malaysia co owned with them...

surely man city are now ready to do a deal, lets get craig here perm not on loan again and use the academy as a part of the deal.